Who suffers from rib and sternum pain?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Who suffers from rib and sternum pain?

Postby gibbo82 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:12 am

I've noticed for a few years now that my ribs and sternum are always sore and painful, and as of late the pain is worse. if I apply pressure, even a poke can cause me a lot of pain in my ribs! :( I can't lie on my belly as that also puts pressure on my ribs and is uncomfortable for me!. Sometimes it's stabbing pains in different areas, and sometimes it feels like nerve pain that travels! It's so annoying, and is getting me down a lot lately, I also suffer from gerd so it's like a double whammy! :(

Just wondering if anybody else suffers with this symptoms? And if they do anything to control it? Medication?

Lee
gibbo82
UKFM Member

Re: Who suffers from rib and sternum pain?

Postby no1phil » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 am

I get rib pain that sounds very similar to what you describe, as of yet i still have to find tablets that work. I also get severe chest pains which the doc thinks could be linked to my heart burn issues - already take omeprazole for this but can't increase my dose - but thus nothing helps. I'm on 50mg of Amitriptyline and just starting Pregabalin 75mg tonight. Gabapentin did nothing at all for me. Hope you find something that works for you though.
no1phil
UKFM Member

Postby Cfldjamie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:44 am

I have had sternum and rib pain almost daily since early 2010. Before being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, it was suggested that I may have Tietze syndrome. Due to symptoms similar to heartattacks, have ended up in A&E a number of times.
Still awaiting a suitable treatment with takes away/masks the pain- especially at night.

Anyone suggest any natural remedies?
Cfldjamie
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:55 am

There is a condition that is often associated with FM, Costchondritis. This is an inflammation of the cartilage in and around the rib and sternum area and can be incredibly painful when it flares up. It is usually treated with anti~inflamms to ease things. To see if it could be costo that is causing your problems, a trip to your GP is necessary I'm afraid.
no1phil wrote:I get rib pain that sounds very similar to what you describe, as of yet i still have to find tablets that work. I also get severe chest pains which the doc thinks could be linked to my heart burn issues - already take omeprazole for this but can't increase my dose

Lansoprazole is a similar med to omeprazole, so might be worth seeing if it might be suitable/more effective for you to take when you next see your GP.

Sorry, no advice for any natural remedies from me as they cause me far more problems and reactions than conventional meds :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby helenclaire » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:36 am

Hi, I agree with fluffypuppy, sounds like Costochondritis. I've had this for three years now and it's pretty much constant. I just take Ibuprofen as they're an anti inflammatory. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't I'm afraid. It's scary when you get chest pains as you're never quite sure are you? I try to relax as much as I can when it's really bad, and find a hot water bottle helps too. Good luck at the doctors, I hope they help x
helenclaire
UKFM Member

Postby Jules Robin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:08 pm

I too have severe chest and back pain which comes out of the blue and usually in the early evening or in the dead of night. Been rushed into A and E a couple of times and tests showed no sign of heart attack or heart probs to my great relief! As these occur so suddenly, my plan of action which works, is to take 1x 30/500 co-codamol and a 2 mg dIazepam immediately. Diazepam works quickly to relax muscles and in time the pain tab does its work. These episodes last about 10-20 mins and I'm terrified until they ease up. I also have awful burning over chest muscles. That also is temporary thank goodness.
Take care all Jules ( Robin)
UKFM Member
Jules Robin
UKFM Member

Postby Panda58 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 pm

I get pains in my ribs and chest as well also if I lie on my stomach and then try and turn over on to my back, my back is so painful any one else get this x :-) :-) :-)
Panda58
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:15 pm

I have costochondritis and use a medication called spasmonal which helps relax the stomach muscles easing the discomfort around the sternum and omoprozole.

I find pain relieving gels more efficiant then tablets
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby chuckles166 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Yes i get the rib pain alot, its been bugging me nearly all day today. at night and find it uncomfortable to lie on whichever side is hurting but the pain moves around alot too, the pain is more like someone is squeezing my ribs together (they probably call it spasms i call it a pain in the a**e lol). I dont get the chest pain much but it takes my breath away when i do.

Take care x
chuckles166
UKFM Member

Postby spencebel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:03 am

I have the chest pain/ache in the middle and into my back,and really hurts when i breathe out. It is really scary.
I have had an ECG, and a more in-depth one at the hospital.(ultrasound) .The guy was lovely and said "your ticker is good for a few more yrs yet,no problems at all.) That was 2yrs ago. I find if i get stressed ,angry and even more so cry it gets worse..............
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby Jules Robin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:17 am

Hi Spencebel, it's a relief although sad to read others are experiencing same severe chest/back pain. It really does mimic a full blown heart attack and no wonder it fills us with fear. What do you do to at the time it happens to help get back to normal?
Like you, I am sure these attacks follow extreme stress/trauma/ huge over dose of fatigue.
So, take heart, when you are in the throws of such awful pain and distress, you are not alone and it will ease up. And after its over just keep yourself rested and cosy, have a cuppa and maybe even treat yourself to something nice to eat.......you deserve it after being put through the mill!........Love and a gentle hug Jules (Robin)
UKFM Member
Jules Robin
UKFM Member

Postby angelwings1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Yes I get that pain and its terrbible. I seem to hurt all over but mainly in my upper body. People think Im being silly when I say "OUCH" when they might prod or poke me in fun I fell like :face-slap: and telling them not to be silly
angelwings1
UKFM Member

Postby Jules Robin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi Angelwings,
Yes It still amazes me that some people can be so insensitive to the suffering of others. I wonder if its because for one reason or another they are unable to cope with it all?
However, I firmly believe that educating others, particularly those closest to us or those we come into close contact with is very important. These days I'm quicker to point out how I'm truly feeling if someone asks how I am ! No point in giving them the impression we're fine when we might be feeling lousy and at our wits end with it all. If folks really care, they'll eventually take notice; if not then I distance them or wave them goodbye. Energy is precious and needs to be preserved for getting on with and improving ( as best we can) our lives !
Take care ...... Jules (Robin)
ps... sitting on sofa with cat Coby pinning me down! I'm resting after doing some washing and enjoying a well earned cuppa for my efforts!!
UKFM Member
Jules Robin
UKFM Member

Postby happybean » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:09 pm

I have that too and I only really realised that it was muscular when I went to an aromatherapy massage therapist. He ran his finger along the grooves between my ribs and I nearly screamed :yikes: :yikes:

He said he saw this tightness a lot in his fibro clients and he recommended trying to (gently) massage along there when it gets sore, preferably with some nice massage oil. He said it's also caused by our shallow breathing, which then makes the muscles tighter!

I do this when I get it, and it does seem to ease it. Especially if one of the muscles there decides to go into silly stabbing pain mode.
happybean
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:56 pm

i to suffer from this , make sure you check the couler of your lips during an attack :-D if thier blue panic :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
tonydin
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems