Who suffers from rib and sternum pain?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Who suffers from rib and sternum pain?

Postby spencebel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi Jules Robin
I take pain relief, and do breathing exercises , which i learn't on a CBT course. Breathe in for 7, breathe out for 11 seconds. It does help, also keep calm,fingers crossed it goes away. Gentle hugs Spencebel
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby Jules Robin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks Spencebel.... I shall certainly try the breathing exercise you describe as any ideas to ease the excruciating sternum and back pain are very welcome. That whole huge area of muscle going into spasm, has to be one of the most frightening pains I experience with fibro.
Even as I write this I'm aware of it niggling, sort of on the boil......so I've got a heat pad in the area on my back which threatens to go into spasm.......my chest is sore and very tight as well. Hope today has been a good one for you and pain etc at a minimum......take care, sleep well...Jules (Robin)
UKFM Member
Jules Robin
UKFM Member

Postby dottydaydream » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 pm

I get awful pain in my ribs, I was told that with fibro you can get knots in the muscles in between the ribs. I get sternum pain too, and feel bruised to the touch there as well as all my other fibro areas. Neck and shoulder pain is so bad sometimes I cant actually turn over in bed for example, or get up, very stiff and painful. I get the fibro pain all over, and the fatigue is worse now than it ever was.
dottydaydream
UKFM Newbie

Postby spencebel » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Jules Robin
How is the chest pain ? Is your sleep getting any better?

I have only had two bad nights in 7, which is good for me.. Really hope it carries on.

Gentle hugs
Spencebel
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby Jules Robin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi Spencebel,

good to hear from you and to know your chest pain isn't giving you too much discomfort at the moment. Mine too is less troublesome (dare I say it!) Sleep going well and I'm sure it's down to the 15mg of Mirtazapine that I've been on since the beginning of the year. Prior to that I had consistently broken sleep, so that's been a really good outcome.
Not been on forum of late as had a big scare a couple of weeks ago. Had a very deep pain high on my chest that wouldn't go away and very different to what we have discussed.
Finally went to GP who listened to chest, said it sounded clear, and diagnosed a pulled intercostal muscle and prescribed a gel rub. Next day pain was worse and I brought up some blood (no cough it just surfaced!) So straight back to docs, a different one who promptly took some blood and sent me straight to X-ray. Went home and later on in the day had a phone call from surgery to say I must go straight back to the hospital and be prepared to be admitted......with a suspected blood clot on my lung. After a lengthy wait and more blood tests was given a clot busting injection in my abdomen. Kept on monitor through the night and later next day had a CT scan after having dye injected to highlight if any clot was in evidence. All seemed very surreal and total lack of sleep due to noise left me exhausted and to cap it all I had a nasty panic attack whilst there! Still not sure about it all but see doc on Friday if hospital report is back.
Now on tabs for high blood pressure as it rocketed and stayed high in hospital (over 200/82). Tabs keeping it back to normal, though I'm not happy to be on them and will talk to doc about it. I'm using a wrist monitor at home.
As a consequence of my ordeal the fibro has been a lot worse and I had another nasty panic attack last night out of the blue which lasted an hour and terrified me.
Sorry to go on, but it helps a bit to share it all with you. Take care and gentle hugs to you also... Jules (Robin)
UKFM Member
Jules Robin
UKFM Member

Postby spencebel » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi Jules Robin
OMG! I feel for you. Really hope that your results come back with good news. Please keep positive.. Try if you can if you feel a panic attack coming on, do the 7/11 breathing, (in through the nose for 7sec, out through the mouth for 11 sec). Really hope this helps. Try to stay calm..
Let me know ,how you get on.
Fingers crossed.. :fingerscrossed:

Gentle Hugs Spencebel
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby Jules Robin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks Spencebel,
Will let you know how I get on at docs. I'm a bit more optimistic about it all at the moment and anxiety has died down. Breathing exercise does help thanks.
Been resting all day apart from feeding Coby our cat and myself! Oh and Social Care Services delivered me a perch stool for use in the kitchen as standing in one position causes more pain to feet and legs and increases fatigue no end. Also brought a small lightweight trolley to allow me to move bits round the house which will make such a difference. Got these aids via Occupational Therapy Dept and I'm very thankful to them for getting them to me so quickly. Chap who delivered them had a lovely nature and cheered my day.
Hope you are having a relatively pain free day and have found times of enjoyment and satisfaction even in your suffering today.

Take care ........love Jules ( Robin)
UKFM Member
Jules Robin
UKFM Member

Postby spencebel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi Jules (Robin)
Really pleased to hear that you are feeling a little better, and more relaxed. I know only to well how scary it can be.
Hopefully your new aid to help you in the kitchen will help you as well.
My pains are not to bad today, although my OH is not feeling well, hope its not the start of the dreaded nasty bug that seems to be around... :fingerscrossed:

Get plenty of rest, most of all keep calm......................
Gentle Hugs
Spencebel
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby Jules Robin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:45 am

Hi Spencebel,

Thanks for your last post......hope you start your morning well and have a positive and happy day.
Good news.. got the all clear at the docs yesterday...great relief. Felt quite elated once I knew all was ok and went on to my hydrotherapy session feeling very positive. Enjoyed the relaxing effect that 36 degrees had on my painful muscle tissue and all over body sensation. The hydro therapist helped me through some gentle but effective exercises and although I felt tired afterwards, I felt some of the heaviness in my legs I have generally had lifted.
I do wish that hydrotherapy was made a priority for everyone with chronic pain as it does reduce levels of pain even if only temporary and helps the circulation get into gear amongst other things. I pay £15 for my half hour session but if I didn't have my DLA I would not be able to afford it.
I was referred to NHS physio months ago and was told that once seen by them would be eligible for NHS hydrotherapy. Looks like I will be waiting for ever for that to happen!!!
A good day for me, and for the first time in while I was able to meet up with a few friends for an hour and felt relaxed enough to enjoy it all.
Do hope your OH is feeling better and didn't succumb to a dreaded bug. ......... Take care and gentle hugs Jules (Robin)
UKFM Member
Jules Robin
UKFM Member

Postby spencebel » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Hi Jules (Robin)

That is great news, so pleased it was nothing serious. I also wish that hydrotherapy was available for all of us. I am having really bad pain in my hands, very very painful.
for us FM sufferers their always seems to be some new pain that pops up somewhere. Its so annoying!!!!!

OH is ok, it was not the bug, thank goodness.........
I am just resting today, the weather is horrible, and its so cold.
Hope you are having a good day.
Take care & gentle hugs
Spencebel
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby sweetie pie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:04 pm

glad you are feeling beter jules xox
sweetie pie
UKFM Member

Postby Mccoll2u » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:19 am

I have just been hit with the dreaded chest pain yet again why does it always have to be the middle of the night with me :-(

sent from my bed via smoke signals
Mccoll2u
UKFM Member

Postby Jules Robin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks Sweetiepie,
Do hope you have a good day and that you are having the lovely sunshine that we have here in Wales today.
Had to miss my hydrotherapy yesterday as too ill even contemplate it. Feeling better today after resting and out for a short trip in car with my partner ;just good to get out of the house!! Take care ........gentle hugs..Jules (Robin)
UKFM Member
Jules Robin
UKFM Member

Postby karen42 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:55 pm

I also suffer with this the slightest touch to my ribs sends stabbing pain sometimes even breathing hurts my rib cage. And I also have the get the chest pain and at times I have thought I was having a heart attack. luckily I live near a lady who also has fibro and she told me she also has the chest pains so it put my mind at ease knowing its all linked to fibro
karen42
UKFM Member

Postby sweetie pie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:51 am

jules,thanks,yes its good to get out for awhile,but some days we cant,so you did the right thing & stayed in & relaxed,wales is a beautiful place my dad used to take me to lanndadno sure i spelt than wrong,you take care & hope your feeling much beter :hugs: XX & karen thats great you have someone that also suffers from fibro near where you live,as i realy miss not having that,but this forum really helps us All X
sweetie pie
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems