Costochondritis

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Costochondritis

Postby Laus2002 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Hello there,

I saw the post about rib pain and costochondritis and wanted to ask everyone's opinion. I have recently lost weight, not a huge amount but around two stone leaving me with a a BMI of 18.6. I'm not sure if that is relevant but recently my ribs have been causing me major problems, they are really very sore, I feel like I have been continually punched in the ribs and wearing an under wired bra is impossible. I am having to use hot water bottles on my ribs to try and ease the pain but nothing is helping.

This is a symptom of FM I have read about but never suffered from hence why I wondered if my weight loss might be a factor? Maybe its Something as simple as the fact that my ribs are actually visible now?! However, I also sometimes get this agonising pain in the chest that spreads from the front (in between my boobs) right through to the back, if I breath deeply it makes it worse so I have to do this funny shallow, calm breathing to wait till it passes. This has happened on and off for years now, I just put it down to being something FM related (I know I shouldn't do that, it just sometimes feels like I'm always having new symptoms and haven't got the energy to be at the doctors every 5 minutes) so I though maybe the two were related and then I read the thread about this Costochondritis, for those who have been diagnosed can I ask whether you think I should get this checked out? I know none of us are medical professionals, I think I just need to know wether I am being over the top before I go to the doctors!

Thank you very much x
Laus2002
UKFM Member

Re: Costochondritis

Postby dotty lotty » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:53 am

Hi if you have not had this officially diagnosed yet you should see your GP. When my friend had this it took a while to settle down. Not sure if weight loss is related but was this loss intentional as your BMI is the very low end of normal :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Laus2002 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Thank you for your reply Dotty Lotty. The weight loss started off as intentional, I gave up a quite impressive chocolate habit! However I have to admit I didn't intend to lose quite so much and I'm now having trouble maintaining it as I keep losing. I've been to the doctors and had bloods taken for an under active thyroid but everything came back normal. Maybe I just ate WAY too much chocolate before?! ;-) x
Laus2002
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:15 am

Can there be such a thing as toooooo much [chocolate] [chocolate] :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Laus2002 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:46 am

Ha ha! Well no, I didn't think there could be such a thing but apparently I was wrong!
Laus2002
UKFM Member

Postby diddledog » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi , ive had very similar for a few months now regarding pain that goes through to the back. Usually after i have sat down when the muscles relax a bit. Had blood tests and chest xray but nothing showed. So im just going along with it at the mo. Sometimes more painful than other times.x
diddledog
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:46 pm

I suffer with this badly and at my worst i was bedbound for 6months and even a trip to a@e with it as the pain was so intense and breathing was bad but there was nothing they could do.

Was only when i got back in contact with my physio that she was able to help me by streeetching the muscles inbetween each rib cage to relax them down that i improved, she does this once a month to contain the major flare i am at risk of.

I still get flare ups but not as bad , i find this is usual on my dominant side if i have used my right arm alot it strains the rib muscles or any activity. Even straining on the loo i find agrivates it :oops: any bloating also triggers it off. Its being very precautious of any activity that effects my ribs.

I have a medication called spasmonal which relaxes the stomach muscles so i can breathe better and apply pain reliving gels around the ribs , an inhalor for when the lings feel squashed by it and regular physio to work on the muscles.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems