Anyone tried meletonin to help with sleep?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone tried meletonin to help with sleep?

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:42 am

Every so often I get periods where nothing seems to work with regards helping me sleep . I then spend the best part of the night either up and about the house trying not to disturb anyone or tossing & turning in bed.

I have read about Meletonin helping some people back into a normal sleep pattern. I know its prescription only in the UK but from what I've read you can bring some into the UK provided its for personal use.

Has anyone every used Meletonin and if so were they prescribed it or did they use an over the counter suppliment.

Many thanks

ISM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Re: Anyone tried meletonin to help with sleep?

Postby SharonL42 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:51 am

Hi ISM,

I'm a nurse & work with children with severe learning disabilities & complex health needs. A lot of them have altered sleep patterns & are prescribed Melatonin to help them adjust back to a more normal pattern.

Some of them are on it long term, some for only a short time but it definitely helps & it is a chemical which everyone produces to make them feel tired.

I don't know much about it's use in adults but know it's only licenced for use in children over 12 & available on prescription in the uk.

I would certainly discuss it with your GP tho, esp if.gov are taking other meds.

Love Sharon xx

Keep Smiling :-)
Keep Smiling :)
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:31 am

I find valerain helps but always check no interaction with prescribed meds. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:23 am

HAve tried various aromatherpay oils/herbal treatments but no long last results. Was just wondering if anyone else has tried melotonin as I know you can get it prescribed.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby happybean » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Yes I was prescribed melatonin by the sleep clinic at Guys Hospital (for restless legs syndrome and PLMD) as well as clonazepam.
I took 0.5 mg clon and 3mg melatonin for a year with really great results. Then I started noticing that I was feeling quite groggy the next day. When I cut out the melatonin, I felt less groggy, so I stopped it in the end. I still take clonazepam and take the odd melatonin now and again if I've had a really bad run of sleep or a flare up (well actually half a one as I've become really sensitive to medication) and it does make me sleepier, but I do feel it the next day. It's like my brain is just on go-slow!

It is only licenced in this country for adolescents and the elderly (apparently) and I had get my prescription from Guys Hospital pharmacy as my consultant said some GPs are funny about it. You can just buy it over the counter in America or other Euro countries, which makes it all a bit daft really. But if you have an understanding GP, they might prescribe it for you anyway.

I also work with teenagers who have various medical issues and several of them are on melatonin. Some have found it helpful, others no effect.

Good luck :-)
happybean
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks for the replies . Will have a chat with the GP when I am next down. :-D
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi ISM

I have not tried meletonin but i have zopiclone sleeping meds i take, i dont like to take them every night though, i will take them for about 4 nights running to get my body into a routine then i wont take them again for a few weeks. Even on them i will only get 4hrs sleep.

Keep us updated if you do try meletonin. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems