alcohol and fibro

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

alcohol and fibro

Postby julia1red » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:19 pm

I am having a really bad flare up in tears now, I have found that after having a few too many I get numbness and pins and needles really bad I went out on Thursday and im still bad today anyone else find drinking makes them worse looks like my love of wine along with a lot of things has to go :( :(
julia1red
UKFM Member

Re: alcohol and fibro

Postby LouLou » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:32 am

Hi julia

I'm so sorry you are in so much pain at the moment. I do find that alcohol makes my pain much worse the day after. I actually spoke to the pharmacist at Boots (where I'm a regular lol) and she said that alcohol dries out your system and makes you dehydrated which is why the next day you feel tired/groggy and often achy and that's without having FM!

Since I entered my late 20's I found that I simply lost interest in drinking and me and my OH have never been big drinkers anyway. I do indulge in the odd glass if we go out for a meal but I tend to stick at the one glass and have found that I'm not too bad the next day.

So you may not have to give up your love of the vino lol just limit what the amount you drink.

Also, you said you went out Thursday, I don't know what kind of lifestyle you lead (in regards to work and homelife etc) or what you did Thursday but maybe your flare has been caused by overdoing it? Add drinking on top of that and it makes things feel much worse - hope that makes sense?

I hope that helps in some way julia. Take care, rest up and hopefully your flare will ease off.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:50 am

I have found any tiny drop of alchohol sends me into intense burning and nerve pain all over mainly effecting my legs and chest.

Luckily i dont like the taste of many drinks so its something i can completely avoid.

Diet fizzy drinks can be just as bad for fibro with the apartasmine (sp) in it plus i found caffiene enhances symptoms also :roll: :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby monica » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Drinking any alcholic drinks makes me feel terrible and coffe and fizzy drinks don't agree with me either. :(
monica
UKFM Member

Postby sweetie pie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:21 pm

I had a drinking problem for 3years when really depressed in 2008,i got help then got of the drink, also really tried to get the depression away late 2010 was doing well, then I got fibro 2011 so now everything has gone down hill again, as fibro is very hard to cope with, I met a friend for lunch for the first time for ages about a month ago, anyway ended up in a bar & had 3 bottles of wine between us, couldn't remember anything after 8,30pm that night, I total regret that now, but its the way you feel with this fibro, but the next week totally suffered due to all that drinking that night, so next time one glass, if any that is XX
sweetie pie
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems