wisdom teeth removal... terrified!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

wisdom teeth removal... terrified!

Postby SuperCat007 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi, I hope this is the right place to put this. I just needed to get a little off my chest and to ask some advice. Tomorrow morning I'm having a general anaesthetic to take out 3 wisdom teeth and I am genuinely terrified! I know lots of people have much worse things done, but I'm really worried about my half an hour procedure. I'm not really worried about pain, I can deal with that. More the actual anaesthetic and how it will make me feel etc. (I'm secretly hoping it cures me, :roll: ) Any advice or experiences??

Thanks.
SuperCat007
UKFM Member

Re: wisdom teeth removal... terrified!

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:35 pm

SuperCat007 wrote: I know lots of people have much worse things done, but I'm really worried about my half an hour procedure. I'm not really worried about pain, I can deal with that. More the actual anaesthetic and how it will make me feel etc. (I'm secretly hoping it cures me, :roll: )

I'll be yanking them out myself if i knew it was a cure :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just make sure all doctors are aware you have fibro. May make you more drowsy/fatigued. Lots of rest after

:goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby SuperCat007 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:05 pm

*Lisa* wrote:
SuperCat007 wrote: I know lots of people have much worse things done, but I'm really worried about my half an hour procedure. I'm not really worried about pain, I can deal with that. More the actual anaesthetic and how it will make me feel etc. (I'm secretly hoping it cures me, :roll: )

I'll be yanking them out myself if i knew it was a cure :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just make sure all doctors are aware you have fibro. May make you more drowsy/fatigued. Lots of rest after

:goodluck1:

Thank you. I don't mean the wisdom teeth removal being the cure, though with the amount of infections I've been getting it wouldn't shock me if it did make me a bit better. I mean the anaesthesia, have you read the stories of people being cured of all kinds of things after anaesthesia. I'm sure there's little or no truth, but you can hope!
SuperCat007
UKFM Member

Postby GlumGirl » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:43 pm

I have to have 4 of my teeth out soon too, including my wisdom teeth. I like being under anesthesia, I realised, after being put under for other procedures. It really helps me rest for the day of. With Fibromyalgia I rarely get any good restful sleep. So, for me, I like it, sort of wish I could have it to knock me out every night. Not everybody probably likes it though. You probably don't have much to worry about other than being very tired/sleepy after. That's all it ever did to me.
GlumGirl
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:53 pm

To be honest given the length of time you will be under you probably won't even end up get too much anesthetic so try not to worry . They will give you enought that you don't feel anything nor remember anything . Do what they have to do and then wake you up again.

My son had to get a tooth out of the roof of his mouth when he was about 12 as it had obviously grown in the wrong place. Saw him down to the anesthetic room and by the time we were back up sitting in the ward news had come through he was out of theatre. I think in total it took about 15 mins.

....try not to worry , take care and hope things go well .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby moomoos » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:44 am

I feel your fear !!! :shock:

I have to have some roots taken out at some point in the near future and I can well understand your fear.

I really hope things go well for you. Please will you let us know, especially me :yikes: how you go on??

Take care, good luck and lots of love and hugs xxxxxxxxxx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Hope it went ok. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Hope you are over the worse and well on the road to feeling better

gentle hugs
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby moomoos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:21 am

Hi, are you ok? Did it all go ok? I hope so, hope youre alright xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby SuperCat007 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 am

Hello everyone, thank you so much for you replies. Particularly IceSkateMum, you always seem to know the right thing to say!

Well I was terrified! But luckily I was first in at 9 am(actually about 9.15 am) which I was incredibly grateful for. Unfortunately one of my teeth was sideways and completely stuck between my last molar and my jaw (which I was aware of before the procedure) so my 30 min procedure turned into an hour and a half one (according to the girl next to me, I had no perception of time once I got into the OT, but apparently I didn't get out until nearly 11 am)! The anaesthetic really was nothing to worry about and we all had a nice chat before they put the cannula in, I don't remember falling asleep, and then I remember them taking the gauze out. No sickness or anything thus far, I told the anaesthetist about my worries and he gave me a double dose of anti-emetics. The only really bad thing is that I have a horrible craving for cookies and fruit and nut chocolate, neither of which would be very good for me right now! Still I'm enjoying my jelly for breakfast accompanied by tepid coffee through a straw! :lol:

I do have a horribly blocked nose and my throat feels like razor blades since waking up yesterday and it's still with me this morning, I'm assuming it's just from the tubes, hopefully it's nothing else! They had to remove a bit of my jaw with the tooth and I have swelled up like a hamster on that side. The teeth, or the holes(!) don't really hurt but where the swelling is is quite painful and I'm developing quite an impressive bruise!

I'm feeling good this morning, my eyes are a little tired and my face is uncomfortable (obviously), but my body feels like it could go out and run a marathon!

I was talking to my mum last night and discussing my medical history. We realised that all of my sinus and illness problems started when my wisdom teeth started coming down when I was about 16. I remember it starting one day in P.E; I got this awful pain in my jaw and had to sit it out (very rare for me), then later on the school called my mum and she rushed me to the dentist because I was in so much pain. The dentist said he thought it was due to my wisdom teeth beginning to come through and that they were pressing or aggravating a nerve in my jaw, he gave me some stronger pain killers and some anti-biotics and it went away for a time. I got so many sinus infections that winter, as he predicted and since then it has been my most common problem. The next winter I got glandular fever (though I never had the blood markers), then CFS, then was rediagnosed with fibro. Considering how good my body feels today I am cautiously hopeful that maybe now the teeth all out I might get a bit better, how wonderful would that be?! But if not at least I don't have to worry about them anymore and hopefully my health will improve a bit because with the amount of infections I've been getting in them and the amount of days my glands are swollen and my neck is sore because of them will hopefully bring about some small improvement.

Thank you guys, and good luck to the two people who said they were having it done. It really is fine, the other 3 girls I was in with literally only took half an hour. I was just the awkward one who not only went first, but held up the whole surgery unit for over an hour! :roll: :lol:
SuperCat007
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Sorry I only just seen this. Now a days they use very safe drugs and very rarely is there a problem. Glad you were ok x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Hiya SuperCat................. really glad it went ok, even tho you were longer than expected, at least you didnt know eh?!!

I have my first appt at the hospital thru and I'm really scared already cos I know that once thats done with the next appt is the procedure itself and it scares the hell out of me xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby SuperCat007 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:26 pm

moomoos wrote:Hiya SuperCat................. really glad it went ok, even tho you were longer than expected, at least you didnt know eh?!!

I have my first appt at the hospital thru and I'm really scared already cos I know that once thats done with the next appt is the procedure itself and it scares the hell out of me xx

Honestly, even though mine turned into a much more serious procedure than was originally thought, it was fine and I would be nervous but hardly worried at all if I had to go back. :-)
SuperCat007
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:45 pm

So glad it all worked out SuperCat007 .....trust you to be the "special " one that took longer than usual :lol: :lol: , but hey look on the bright side you got a longer sleep....... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Hopefully you have some anti inflamatories for any pain but also for the swelling. If you have a lot of bruising you could try Arnica either tablets or cream , I meant to say for you to the tablets before your op as I have really found over the years they help the healing process.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if by getting your wisdom teeth out it helped with everything else , will keep :fingerscrossed: for you .

Take care and hope you feel better soon.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby SuperCat007 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Thank you. Yes I take meloxicam, they wanted to send me away with ibuprofen and co-codamol :shock: but I refused both and left with some codeine instead. I'm back on 1-2 a day which is a little disappointing, but I'd rather this healed quicker then I can go back to cutting down. I was a bit surprised that they gave me paracetamol during the op (which I said I can't take on my form, luckily I'm not allergic), and the girl next to me was given ibuprofen because she was complaining that it hurt. However, she both told the nurse and had it written on her form that she was taking naproxen! They discharging nurse was going to send her away with 400 mg ibuprofen to take 4-6 times a day WITH her naproxen! Luckily the girl had half a brain cell working and asked if it was ok to take all her pills with the ibuprofen and then the nurse realised that she had been prescribed the wrong drug. But how many people go away with things like that?

Two things are troubling me now. The MAJOR one is that I have a MAHOUSIVE cold sore on the corner of my mouth and it is the most painful thing ever. I pulled the scab off it this morning because it had stuck my lips together! :yikes: Whenever I talk, or eat, or drink, or yawn it is incredibly painful. I'm keeping germolene on it at the moment, it has a local anaesthetic in it so it helps keep the pain down. I just hope it goes away soon. I'm not sure I have ever had anything so uncomfortable. The stitches are getting pretty uncomfortable, but they'll be gone soon too, and they pail in comparison to the cold sore from hell. :evil:

The next thing is that I have a really dirty bruise. :roll: I have to go to a training morning tomorrow and not only do I have to take the cold sore from hell :evil: , but I also have to take a really nasty yellow-ey/greeny bruise which extends the whole length of my jaw on the right and all the way down my neck to my collar bone. I wouldn't mind if it were brown, or black, or purple, but being yellow it just looks like I haven't washed for weeks! :crazy: :lol:
SuperCat007
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems