Low Blood Pressure and other Issues

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby CarrieH » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:38 pm

When we moved house 18 months ago we had to change doctors and I had an assessment with the nurse upon joining our current GP practice. At that point she said my blood pressure was very low.
Since then I've had lots of problems with my periods. I had 3 months of continual bleeding and cramps (told by doctor to take hot baths). Then a couple of months of normal bleeding followed by 5 months of continual bleeding and cramps. At this point the doctor put me on the pill to try to stop that. It stopped the cramps, but then after 2 months of normal bleeds I had 3 months continual bleeding, so my doctor has changed the type of pill I'm on and I've just had a week without bleeding, so still too early to assess if it's working in the long term. Whilst I was having a continual bleed I was taking iron tablets and even so blood tests as part of the whole getting a Fibro diagnosis said iron was slightly low.
I'm finding with my doctors you have to visit 3 times before you get a prescription and even then they look up the prices of medication and often tell you that you can't be prescribed something because it's too expensive. In terms of pain from Fibro, I was prescribed Amytripyline, but found it had a bad effect on me and I'd have no recollection of conversations or things I'd done the following day. Then I was prescribed Gabapentin, but couldn't swallow the large tablets, so the GP said medically there were no other options open to me and to try to find a homeopathic doctor instead.
Last time back at GP was to see the GP about my bleeding, so a different one to the one mentioned in the paragraph above. First time I'd seen her since getting a Fibro diagnosis and it was the other GP who'd suggested Fibro not this one. She went on about how GPs know more than hospitals about Fibro and that Fibro is 'a very whiffly term used to describe any number of random unrelated complaints. One of the reasons I'd gone along is having had a sore throat since Christmas, she never even looked at my throat, but gave me a lecture about how people with Fibro need to exercise (I felt furious as she has no idea what I do for exercise and in any case, how is that related to a sore throat).
I've been before asking about being dizzy and very off balance, so asked about that again. The response was 'what do you expect, you've got low blood pressure, you've just got to live with being dizzy and keep on exercising'. The only time I had my blood pressure taken was with the nurse on that initial appt 18 months ago. Thing is I don't know how to live with being so dizzy and off balance - I hit my head 3 times over Easter with being off balance and keep tripping which is jarring my hip. When I'm really dizzy I sleep on the floor as my fiance moving in his sleep sends the room spinning.
My GP finished my appt by taking my pulse and said that it was normal and so I had nothing to worry about as I was perfectly healthy. I'm at a loss what to do next when the GP is like this. I should be back at the hospital for the pain clinic (if work will let me have the time off), but that won't be until summer.
CarrieH
UKFM Member

Postby lrgatrell88 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:02 pm

How awful for you! Why won't doctors listen? Have you got another gp in the surgery you could see? Or maybe even someone that could go to an appointment with u. I find it helps a lot to have someone there that's on your side and willing to back you up.

X
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Re: Low Blood Pressure and other Issues

Postby shazq » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Sounds like you need to see another gp Carrie, is there another gp in your surgery? If you are thinking about changing your surgery you could call the practice manager first and ask if any of their doctors have any patients with fibro or if there doctors have any experience with it. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby wobblywoman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi Carrie,
I've lived with lower than normal BP most of my adult life - it runs in our family, and I recently bought myself a BP monitor to check it myself every now and then. The GPs at my surgery all know about it, but nurses at hospital clinics often give me odd looks when my reading comes up on their machines ;-) I have also had dizzines for spells at a time and usually find a tablet called Stemetil works very well(can make you feel rather drowsy tho). I am not sure this is totally connected with my BP, but often a couple of weeks on the Stemetil settles spinning down and it stays away for several months afterwards too. Ask a pharmacist too about over-the-counter seasickness pills as they can work well for a lot of people with dizziness. Awkward GPs are hard work, so all my sympathies - I agree with taking somebody else in to your consultations with you - it can really help get your point across.
Good luck getting everything sorted out, keep calm and take care of yourself xxx
wobblywoman
UKFM Member

Postby maxtomads » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Remember with 'dizziness' there are different types. In general the spinning is usually a problem with the balance mechanism in the inner ear. The light headed type is more a bp issue. The stemetil will help with the spinning one but not the low bp one.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems