stabbing pains in chest

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

stabbing pains in chest

Postby coz1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:01 pm

hi,
Please could someone tell me if i should see the doctor urgent or not?
over the last few days i keep getting stabbing pains on the left side just at the top of my breast,it does it more freqent today.this last a minuite to a couple it gos for about 5mins then does it again,i can feel it in my back at the same time as it starts and gos again.
Im flying on holiday in a couple of days and if im told it is part of fibro then i shall see the doc when i come back,i so need this holiday !!
OR should i not put up with this :roll:
coz1
UKFM Member

Re: stabbing pains in chest

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:58 pm

I would try and get an emergency appt with your GP coz, anything new, worsening or just giving general cause for concern is always far better being checked out than just working on the basis that is is just FM related.

There could be any number of causes for what you're experiencing, TBH tho, I wouldn't like to guess at what it could be. I understand how much you need your break, going on hollibobs is one of the very few times when I can notice a real positive difference in how I feel. If you don't have this checked before you go tho, it will be lurking around at the back of things and may even flare up while you are away, which will probably put a real downer on things for you (had a similar thing happen to me :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: )

Hope you can get an appt in the next day or so and get some answers :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby countyfan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi Coz1,

You don't say how old you are but I was told that you should always treat pain in the chest as if it was potentially something serious. These days younger people can experience heart problems, even if they have previously been completely well. I agree with Flup, that it's best not to just assume everything is down to FM.
You don't say where you are going on holiday but if it's abroad somewhere then it's probably better to be checked out here before you go, than trying to explain your symptoms in a foreign language. I know how difficult that is after breaking my leg in Bulgaria a few years ago.
Hope everything turns out to be alright but better safe than sorry. :-D
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby latmaz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:14 am

hope u had had it checked out and its nothing

but to add to what the others said it could be grumbling gallstones. mine started with small episodes like this til it moved onto the big attacks. - trust me u know the difference when it happens!!!

be careful how much fat u are eating at the moment as that could make it worse if it is gallstones

hope all is ok and u have a great holiday
latmaz
UKFM Member

Postby julia1red » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Hello, I have been to drs so many times with the same thing have been told its my fibromyalgia drives me mad and scares me every time x still go to Dr just to be sure x
julia1red
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:56 pm

Like others have said always treat pain in the chest as something serious...you should be seen in A&E quite quickly if only for triage.

My 22 son recently moved out, he had a slight cold when he moved out but nothing a couple of paracetamol wouldn't take care off or so he thought. Four days later he phoned middle of night to say he had pains in his chest. I thought he had maybe strained muscles coughing etc but told him to contact out of hours GP just in case. They sent him to A&E and he then got taken in for 4 days on the Cardiac Care Ward.

Seems the cold had affected the sac around the heart and some heart muscle. thankfully he is ok but just goes to show you should never underestimate a chest pain. Who would have thought a usually fit healthy 22 would spend 4 days in coronary care ward because of a cold!

The chest heart & stroke association have more info on how to recognise problem pains in and around the chest.

Hopefully no one will need it :-)
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems