Loss of strength and grip in hand

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Loss of strength and grip in hand

Postby ruth2013 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:11 pm

Hello everyone,

Over the past year I have been slowly losing strength and grip with my right hand. Left hand is pretty normal. I am right handed so this is getting pretty annoying. I have trouble lifting and holding onto even a dinner plate. Sometimes a coffee mug is too heavy and I end up wearing it rather than drinking it.

What is it about the Fibro that causes this annoyance? Any ideas anyone? And does anyone know how I can possible exercise it?

Thanks for reading

Ruth
ruth2013
UKFM Member

Re: Loss of strength and grip in hand

Postby Flash » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:35 am

One word Ruth... BALLS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now stop thinking rude things and read on... !!

I have aquired a set of chinese chime balls that I roll around in my hand. Surprisingly, I got them from a charity shop. They do help although when the F/M is at it'sworse, my hands get sore anyway.

I also drop things and have weakness now in both hands as I have trapped nerves in the neck. I have also heard that using the balls is good for carpel tunnel syndrome.
Rolling both around in one hand at a time, uses all the ligaments and tendons so helping to slow down the weakness. I suppose a couple of ping pong balls might do the same.

Phew..!! So, all the men in the vacinity are safe after all...
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:18 am

Ruth, I was thinking you might have carpel tunnel. I had both hands operated on for it. What you are describing sounds like it. Do you get pain in your wrist, arm or shoulder. I found out he burning pain in my arms the worse. Have your Dr look into the possibility. If it is carpel tunnel it will only get worse until fixed
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby ruth2013 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Thank you for both your responses.

I will go out and try and find some balls (lol).

I only get pain in my shoulders but that´s from the Fibro, I had already asked the doctor if it could be carpal tunnel as I spent many years as a secretary, but they don´t seem to think it is.

I think part of the problem of once you are diagnosed with Fibro, is that anything aches and pains you get from then on tend to put under the Fibro umbrella and are not looked at properly.

Thanks again for your advice.

Gentle hugs

Ruth :-D :-D :-D :-D
ruth2013
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Ruth, You are right about everything being put under the F/M umbrella. A neurologist told me I had CTS but I knew I didn't. I had the test which proved me right then an MRI which found prolapsed disks which my GP has said would be causing the trapped nerves.

I have been suffering since before December with a very painful shoulder. It has taken all this time to find it isn't to do with F/M. It's torn ligaments and years of degeneration. Physical trauma has made things worse.

Oh, to be taken seriously...

Good luck with the balls!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby sweetie pie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Yes I will have to get a couple of balls as well, its weird not having the strength though, yes if you say anything else to the doctors they just think its due to the fibro, which is not a good thing XX
sweetie pie
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:57 am

Especially not when the docters think F/M is all in our heads anyway, just goes to show they think every thing we get is in our heads. :shock: :shock:

Good luck with the balls sweetie pie! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby sweetie pie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:25 am

Thanks Flash :lol: yes it doesn't help us a tall when the doctors think its all in the head,
But we no full well that's so silly, As we live it Daily,
xx
sweetie pie
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems