memory tests?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

memory tests?

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:35 pm

hi, my dr is giving me a memory test on friday,

just wondering if anyone has had this and if so what did they have to do,

this is because the fibro fog seems to be getting much worse and he wants to check this out,

thanks

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Re: memory tests?

Postby whoami » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:03 pm

When I had my accident years ago I was given tests, some to determine memory. Some of these were tests such as read a list of objects maybe 20. Then I had to repeat back the list. Another the Dr read the list to me and I had to repeat them back. There were others that included cards etc. You can't make a mistake or cheat, there are no right or wrong answers. I was told how some people tried to make it look like they had issues with memory but they are called out on it. This was part of my testing but what the Dr gives you for tests could be different. Relax, you will be fine
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:11 pm

hi thanks for that,

i have been lacking sleep recently and i know i get more muggled when over tired so im trying to rest as i dont want to give a wrong or unnormal result if you know what i mean,

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:33 pm

When FIL was still with us, he was under the memory clinic as he had the early signs of dementia and each time he went, he had tests to see how things were progressing. As well as similar things to what whoami had, he was also asked a number of general questions when he first arrived. He would then go and have the usual things like blood pressure, weight etc checked, then he would be asked the same questions again and the answers compared as part of the checking. The sorts of things he was asked included the date, who was prime minister etc.

Try not to worry about it MB as, just as worry can affect FM, it can also add to the fogginess, which was why the questions were asked twice. On arrival people tend to be quite tense and worried, but a bit further into things, they tend to relax a little, which can help give a truer idea of what things are like.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby lolo73 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:34 pm

There is a set memory test that can be administered by any medical professional who has had a little bit of training. They ask questions like counting backwards from 100 removing 7 each time. They give you phrases to read and items to remember. And also ask questions relating to surroundings, name of PM and monarch etc. More sophisticated tests are usually done by psychologists. Hope this helps :-)
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:54 am

Yes, I forgot to mention more evasive testing is done by a psycologist. Thanks for yout post, it reminded me, LOL. I remember now that my Dr didn't get as involved with testing
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:58 am

Hi MB

I've never had that sort of test before but I just wanted to wish you :goodluck2: for Friday.

As with what the others have said, try your best to stay calm as I find that my fogginess gets worse the more wound up and stressed out I get.

Let us know how you get on, :fingerscrossed: for you

xxx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby masonsbarms » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:25 pm

hi, thank you all for your replys,

im not to worried now , but it was the dr who said he would do them to check and this got me thinking about my nana who had alzimers

but i dont for a momemt think i have it but it was him mentioning my shakes and asking if i drank much it got me thinking silly things like dose he think there is something else going on,

thanks again

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:09 pm

im not to worried now , but it was the dr who said he would do them to check and this got me thinking about my nana who had alzimers

but i dont for a momemt think i have it but it was him mentioning my shakes and asking if i drank much it got me thinking silly things like dose he think there is something else going on,

Try to relax luv, you are going to make yourself ill. I am sure your Dr is just doing a routine memory test.

Let's say though that he is looking for something else. Think positive about it. If it were something else it is better caught sooner than later.

We all let our imagination get the better of us at times like this. Have a good night, relax and you will do just fine.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Was at GP today and was also asked if I drank too much, as I was shaking and getting my words mixed up ........you know a good old Fibro fog moment..................she seemed almost disappointed when I said I was tee total :lol:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby masonsbarms » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:10 pm

hi, thanks to you all,

been to gp and passed the test for dementia and its just fog,

he has given me some betablockers to try for the tremmors in my hands it it quiet bad,

all blood tests came back good

but guess what we all forgot the reason i went in the first place the cramps round joints ha ha

so going to ring on monday,

thanks again to you all

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 pm

So glad everything Ok MB and you are just going through a foggy patch. :crazy: :crazy: It must have been quite scary for you and your family.

:hugs:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:52 pm

So glad things are foggy MB rather than the possible alternative :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby masonsbarms » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:27 pm

hi, thanks

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:40 am

So glad your tests went well MB!

I had a really foggy week last week so I know how scary it can feel, especially when you never used to be like this but if I don't laugh about it I end up crying lol it's just one of those things.

So glad nothing serious was detected though.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems