Hypothyroidism

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hypothyroidism

Postby chookie » Tue May 07, 2013 7:13 pm

So slow and tired, confused and now I have bad IBS too, will have to see the doctor again about thyroid again. He tested and said that it was fine, how many of us have had that one before :( I have just ticked off nearly every box on a checklist, I can't function any more.
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Re: Hypothyroidism

Postby shazq » Wed May 08, 2013 3:20 pm

:hugs: Fibro has many symptoms :twisted: trouble with thyroid glands is that they can go up and down so will give different readings. :roll:

Hope you feel better soon. :flowers:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby whoami » Wed May 08, 2013 5:05 pm

Chookie......have you been diagnosed with a thyroid issue? It really is hard to distinguish between fibro or thyroid being the cause sometimes
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Wed May 08, 2013 6:25 pm

This subject has come up before so it might be worth using the search facility to see what others have to say on the subject
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby chookie » Wed May 08, 2013 10:14 pm

I have had my thyroid checked and there was 'no action' on the results... I just going to ask my GP to give me thyroxine and see what happens, he might agree with me.
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby penfriend » Wed May 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Please do not take thyroxine - its awful. I was given it years ago for a short time before my doctor took me off of it. I felt I was on a merry-go-round and a big dipper at the same time. If you have an under-active thyroid, try taking iodine or kelp, or both. sincerely, penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu May 09, 2013 12:32 am

Chookie......Don't take ...anything...for your thyroid unless you have had blood tests done and a condition confirmed. You can do a lot of harm. A Dr will not give you thyroid meds just in case, he will need to do blood work.

...............I have had my thyroid removed, cancer. I take Eltroxin daily and have had no issues. My blood is checked very regularly.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Flash » Thu May 09, 2013 9:48 am

I wouldn't be able to cope without the thyroxine... But I had hypothyroidism misdiagnosed for a long time and it was hell. I put on so much wieght, I was sluggish and always felt sick and run down. All my functions had slowed, My hair was a mess and my skin started to look thickened in the face. My eyebrows thinned too. I lost wieght soon after diagnosis and treatment. My face has lost that weathered look and hair and eyebrows have gone back to normal.

But thyroxine is not a gap filler. If missused, it can have drastic affects and can actually amplify the symptoms, causing skin thickening, hair loss, wieght gain, anxiety, heart palpitations and much more.

Good luck on getting a correct diagnosis. Take care.
Last edited by Flash on Thu May 09, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Thu May 09, 2013 10:32 am

Chookie

I also have many of the symptoms of Hypothyroid but as others have said- a lot of them overlap with FM. Trouble is, once you have been given a diagnosis of Fibro, it is hard to get GP's to consider that symptoms can be due to anything else!

I am seeing my GP tomorrow am to discuss my symptoms, in light of the fact that my sister has Thyroid problems and it can run in families. I will let you know how I get on..

Hugs xcx :-)
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Sun May 26, 2013 11:30 am

chookie wrote:So slow and tired, confused and now I have bad IBS too, will have to see the doctor again about thyroid again. He tested and said that it was fine, how many of us have had that one before :( I have just ticked off nearly every box on a checklist, I can't function any more.

chookie

Did the Doctor just give you just the TSH test? My TSH came back as 1.7 which is supposed to be normal, but I may ask for more extensive tests.
Blood tests should reveal whether the thyroid gland is underactive although the doctor may not do all the blood tests available. Many areas of the UK only do the TSH test but if all the thyroid tests are done i.e. TSH, FT4, FT3 and thyroid antibodies, then a true picture may be seen.

http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_t ... idism.html

See also this Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR_Vnek4 ... r_embedded
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby perseus » Sun May 26, 2013 11:37 am

It would be useful if tests could be performed at a time we were feeling most ill so at least the problem would show up.

I have been looking at this range home blood test kits which would cover all those hormones. I'm not sure what the actual procedure is though (do you prick your thumb?) and how reliable it is. There is a blood test for cortisol as well , but that can also be measured through saliva
http://homebloodtests.co.uk/epages/www_ ... 231&Page=5
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby Salgor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:57 pm

I also suffer with underactive thyroid and have done for the past15 years or so. Recently, while getting all the different tests and bloods which were done by my FM doctor he blithely informed me " of course you have Hashimoto's disease ...". It took the feet from me :yikes: but, I have been told, this is just one of the names covering various types of thyroid conditions. Has anybody else heard of this?

S
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 pm

Salgor wrote:I also suffer with underactive thyroid and have done for the past15 years or so. Recently, while getting all the different tests and bloods which were done by my FM doctor he blithely informed me " of course you have Hashimoto's disease ...". It took the feet from me :yikes: but, I have been told, this is just one of the names covering various types of thyroid conditions. Has anybody else heard of this?

S

Had your Dr just not put the name to your thyroid issues before but just treated it? It is a legitimate name.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Flash » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Yes it is a form of hypothyroidism sometimes with hyperthyroid bouts. I think the thyroid gland hardens and enlarges a bit. It is diagnosed by blood and symptoms that you have.

I have had under active thyroid for 10 years and was put on levothyroxyn 8 years ago. It has stayed under control but some people have further problems like yourself.

I hope you get your treatment sorted soon.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby Salgor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I am assuming that my GP or other meds just hadn't used the official name for this and just called it underactive thyroid.

Salgor
Salgor
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems