Hypothyroidism

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Hypothyroidism

Postby jo_jo789uk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:12 pm

I was diagnosed with having an overractive thyroid about a year ago.

I was told to take tablets because otherwise the condition could get worse.

I was told the tablets would effect my bone marrow and therefore if I even had the sniffles I needed to go for a full blood work up to make sure nothing more serious was going on in the background. The side effects of the tablets were made to sound even worse than the condition itself.

I've had blood tests four times since then and I have been told that I don't have the condition any more and it must have been temporary.

Considering the tablets can cause more problems than they solve, I would personally recommend not taking them unless you have been properly diagnosed.

Although at the same time I do understand that the symptoms are not nice, but it is dfficult to confirm it is an ovveractive thyroid for example as the symptoms are similar to some of the Fibro ones so are hard to spot.
“Perhaps it is our imperfections that make us so perfect for one another!”
― Jane Austen
jo_jo789uk
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:01 pm

I am glad your bloodwork confirmed your thyroid is ok. I have thyroid issues myself.

When you suggest not taking medication unless properly diagnosed. I am confused, LOL Thyroid medication is given by prescription only. You have to get blood work done in order to have Dr prescribe the med. If the Dr doesn't do blood work and gives med then your levels would be right out of whack and the Dr not being responsible.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Flash » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Whoami, I would agree with you. Also, the medication for over active thyroid is very very different to that for under active thyroid. Blood tests would confirm either. If diagnosed with a thyroid problem and prescribed medication it is best to follow GPs advise.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby Bellatr1x » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi I have hashimotos disease as far as I am aware its where you body attacks ur thyroid gland. I've gone from 25mg of thyroxine to 250mg and I've had it since I was 16, I'm now 28. Xx
Bellatr1x
UKFM Member

Postby Ruzin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:42 pm

I got diagnosed with hypo before the fibro and didn't know fibro could cause change in levels of thyroid hormones?

I was put on levothyroxin and afaik it's all been fine since then. Just take it every day. Hasn't made a difference to the fatigue though.

But I did lose three stone due to the tablets which I am happy about.
Please spay and neuter your pets.
Ruzin
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems