Alleviating painful IBS?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Alleviating painful IBS?

Postby Diane64 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:25 am

Hi there, anyone any advise please..

I have started to get IBS, i am on buscopan 10mg x 3 daily, the pain i am having in my left side and lower back since yesterday has been exruciating and had very little sleep last night as in agony... does anyone know a natural remedy that i could use over the weekend or up the dosage on the buscopan till i can get to the doctors at the beginning of the week? :cry:
Diane64
UKFM Member

Re: Alleviating painful IBS?

Postby whoami » Sat May 25, 2013 11:18 am

Diane.....I am so sorry you are feeling so bad. I know how bad it can get.

I can't take anything for it but I do find decaff chamomile tea (no milk or sugar) can help. I usually only drink water, either cold or boiled so the tea is a change. Also I make a runny porridge to eat if I am hungry if you can buy a glutton free one it is better. I eat fairly bland food.
When the pain is so bad I am doubled over, I get in a hot bath for as long as I can, it is about all that helps.
Do you suffer with the alternative constipation and diarrhea? I have been trying to find a recipe the Dr gave me for a broth type drink, it really settles things down. I took it to my daughters and I think I left it there.
I hope you feel better soon.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Peppermint is said to help ease digestive issues, maybe that is another option to explore. There is peppermint tea, peppermint cordial and Colpermin can be bought otc from some chemists/pharmacies http://www.boots.com/en/Colpermin-IBS-R ... les-_2589/
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby moomoos » Sat May 25, 2013 12:25 pm

moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Sun May 26, 2013 12:57 pm

I get IBS too and I don't take any tablets for it as I found that they didn't really do anything to help me. I use a hot water bottle on my stomach and find lying on my side wih my legs curled up helps me when it is really bad.

Agree with what Whoami said abou eating bland and plain food, when I have bad IBS I stick to plain food during and just after to help settle my stomach.

Hope that helps
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Diane64 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:20 pm

I thought i wrote a reply re my post but cant find it?? Anyway..thank you for the advice guys, i didnt get the chance to go to the shops to check out the peppermint oil, pain not as bad as fri/Sat but still sore..

Whoami, yea i have both but its mainly the pain i cant cope with and have just stared to get IBS, i first thought it was a kidney infection due to where it hurts the most (lower back and left side) however doctor advised it was ibs..

I try not to moan or let fibro get me down, but this is kind of flooring me at the minute..xx
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon May 27, 2013 2:01 am

Diane.....I quite often get severe pain in my lower back and then when I have a bowel movement it passes.....no pun intended, LOL It almost seems like a nerve is being pressed, I can't even stand to sit when this happens. IBS can be severely painful. I have compaired it to a labor contraction, you can feel the intensity building and you just double over with pain then it stops for a few minutes and starts again.

I hope you find some relief. I try to eliminate what starts it but sometimes I can't. Try to keep track of what might be the trigger............good luck!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon May 27, 2013 2:54 pm

I use Buscopan for my stomach cramps and stick to bland food, i drink lots of water. Hot water bottles also help with stomach pain, i often have back pain as well so often have a water bottle on my back as well.

The hospital told me to drink warm peppermint water, i have tried it a couple of times but found it did nothing for me.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby karen42 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:20 pm

I also suffer from ibs my doctor prescribes me mebeverine tablets common name colofac.I find them very helpful especially when Im having a bad flair up
karen42
UKFM Member

Postby Picklepudding » Thu May 30, 2013 3:34 pm

I suffered terribly from IBS and nothing worked. Then as a last resort I was prescribed citalopram. It's been like a miracle cure! I hardly suffer at all now whereas before there were days when I could hardly get out of bed as the pain was so bad. Starting the citalopram was the best thing I've ever done.

I know exactly how you're feeling and I hope you feel better soon xxx
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Just noticed that others have commented on my last reply, hope you all dont think im rude just didnt see the posts... :-) anyway... ive had only one flare up since the bad one that i first asked for advise, i actually took my husbands colofac and that done the trick and fingers crossed have not been in pain since..i have no idea yet what is the trigger for it, i cant take citalipran as already taking setraline, kinda the same thing..thanks for the repliesthough..this is a great site..x
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby jo58 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:21 am

Hello,

I have IBS too, the only thing that has helped me is taking probiotic supplements. I take one a day and it has made so much difference. I also notice that wheat sets my cramps off.

Hope you feel better soon!
jo58
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Diane64 wrote:Just noticed that others have commented on my last reply, hope you all dont think im rude just didnt see the posts... :-) anyway... ive had only one flare up since the bad one that i first asked for advise, i actually took my husbands colofac and that done the trick and fingers crossed have not been in pain since..i have no idea yet what is the trigger for it, i cant take citalipran as already taking setraline, kinda the same thing..thanks for the repliesthough..this is a great site..x

Diane, I know this will sound all mumsie, but taking meds that haven't been prescribed for you can be very very risky as you don't really know how you might react to them, and you could be left feeling even worse than you were before taking them.

If you are affected by a similar sort of problem in the future, seeing your GP about it if otc stuff doesn't help would be the sensible thing to do as you would be given something that you know would be more suitable for you.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Diane64 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi fluppyPuffy,
I agree totally with not taking anyone elses prescribed medication, but these were just over the counter tablets for IBS, i know i should have went to my G.P but i was in agony and it was late at night, i thought if they can be bought then i wont come to much harm given that i have IBS and that is what they are for..Thank you though..x :-)
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Sorry Diane, I had forgotten than some IBS meds can be bought otc :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Whilst going to see your GP is always preferable, I know all too well that at times it isn't possible to do that. And when you're feeling absolutely lousy and there's something close to hand that might help, you go with what will hopefully make the best difference to you at the time :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems