How 'deficient' am I?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How 'deficient' am I?

Postby Picklepudding » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:40 pm

The rheumy report said that my vitamin d levels were low at 28 nmol/L but there was no reference range included. Internet searches have come up with various suggestions as to what a 'normal' level is. Does anyone know what the normal, insufficient and deficient levels are?

I've made an appointment to see my GP to get started on treatment for the vitamin d and fibro but couldn't get an appointment for 2 weeks!
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Re: How 'deficient' am I?

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:49 pm

hi im sorry i cant help but iv just found out im the same dont know what level seeing gp next week,

all i know is that iv been told on my post that alot of fm sufferes are low in vit d.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:20 am

Hi Pickle

Like MB said alot of us do have low vitamin D. This can cause joint pain which can add to the already exsisting FM pain we have. My GP found my levels were dangerously low about a year ago (sorry I don;t know anything about actual levels) so I wa sput on supplements.

Though my levels increased my pain levels remained the same. The one thing I will say is that now I take a combined Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium supplement 2 tablets with my main meal each day. My GP checked them and said they would do no harm and if anythign I have found my fatigue levels have really improved so that's a small vistory lol.

If this is really bothering you and you can't get to see your GP sooner, why not have a word with a pharmacist? I get all my meds from Boots as I know the pharmacis there and they have been great at giving advice and recommendations. You can get over the counter vitamins too and they may know a bit more about the actual levels and what they mean?
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:58 pm

hi pickle, got results from gps today my vit d level is 25 and he said it should be between 50 and 100,

so on the chew tabs tuti fruti flavor mix vit d and calcium will have it checked in 6 weeks and if its not right going on just vitd,

he also said to ear oily fish cheese eggs and have half hour sun light a day.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Picklepudding » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Thank you, that's very helpful x
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:05 pm

masonsbarms....Whe I read your post I read "ear" as wear, LOL I was then chuckling about wearing oily fish, cheese and eggs and standing out in the sun for 1/2 an hour.........LOL :shock:
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Picklepudding » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Hahahahaha!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:15 pm

ha ha ha it was ment to be eat i am always typing wrong but dont seem to see the mistake,

i once read a letter from hospital that they would shoot water into my eyes and was realy worried about it but the letter said ears but my dog had chewed it up befor hubby could read it oh this muggled mind of mine.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Salgor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi, it would seem that a lot of us have this deficiency in common. I was put on Calcichew which is a vit D supplement. I am sure the consultant mentioned my level being very low at 18 (I don't know correct levels either).
Salgor
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems