What meds?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What meds?

Postby columbia14 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 am

Hi, my sister has had FM for several years but her Dr has never prescribed anything for it saying "You will just have to live with it"! She is willing to try anything to help her get by but all her Dr has given her is Anti-deppresants as she overdosed on Ibuprofen she bought over the counter. Can other sufferers tell me what they have been prescribed in the UK that they thought helped?
She has another appointment with her GP next week which I will be attending with her. If I can tell him what has helped other FM sufferers maybe he will be willing to try her on something if I agree to give it to her every day and not leave her with the meds.
columbia14
UKFM Newbie

Re: What meds?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:01 pm

If you have a bit of a look thru some of the posts on the treatments and meds board, you'll find that quite a few of us are on various cocktails of things to help bring us a little easing and relief. It's not easy to say what can help as what one of us has found beneficial may not be for another.

You could start off by having a look at this linky http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx It goes thru some of the types of meds used in trying to manage FM and also has some examples/suggestions. Anti~depressants are often used as they have been found to help sleep and pain issues for some people.

It takes time, trial and error, as well as patience and perseverance to find what will help her, and at times it will feel like she is still getting nowhere, but if you can help her keep going with things, there's always the chance that she will get her symptoms back under at least some control.

In your intro posts, you mentioned that she has been drinking heavily since her appeal and that her boyfriend will buy alcohol for her when you aren't there. This is something that will probably need to be considered when talking to her GP about possible meds due to how it can interact and have an effect on prescribed and otc meds.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:24 pm

I find a combination of medications and therapy can help.

Therapies include (although not suitable for some) is :-

Acupunture / massage / physiotherapy / stretching exercises / trigger point therapy / oesteopath and chiropractor / hydrotherapy and light exercise like walking / pilates
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby columbia14 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks for all the info. It gives us a genuine place to start. The Dr knows about her drinking and I know this will affect what he is prepared to prescribe but as she has never been offered any meds before , we will just have to be optimistic and start trying out different combinations. Nothing worth while is ever gained easily and even if my sister doesn't feel up to it I can been pretty persistent (likened to a Pit Bull by a friend) so now we can go into the Dr with a wealth of info that I am betting he doesn't even know. Thanks
columbia14
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:02 am

:goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems