LEG Cramps and restless legs and cramps

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

LEG Cramps and restless legs and cramps

Postby vectra » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi its VECTRA, and im struggling with severe lower leg cramps]so bad it goes rigid in my calf its really bad and when im driving its awful, does anyone else get this, and if so!!! what medication do you use.
vectra
UKFM Member

Re: LEG Cramps and restless legs and cramps

Postby whoami » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Vectra.......I have had this quite a few times. Severely at times. It could be caused by various things, at least in my
situation

My Dr's have told me it could be.....medication side effect
.....I stopped taking wellbutrin for a while and it got worse
.....I have no thyroid so am on medication, could be related to thyroid
.....It can be menopausal
.....It could be fibromyalgia

What does your Dr suggest it could be? I would think a consultation with a Dr to try to find a cause would be in order. Good luck and fill us in please.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby fletch » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:21 pm

I get them all the time my calf's go rock hard and burn so only drive now where I know I can stop and get out safely

Tried amitriptyline and quinine

Nothing helps with mine but what can you take for muscle cramps
fletch
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:40 pm

I forgot to mention the obvious as well.....are you dehydrated? I have a bad habit of not drinking enough and get dehydrated, my warning sign is leg cramps.

Also.....potassium, you could be low. Eat a banana a day, two for a few days and see if that helps.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Vectra

Yes I get this, though luckily it's only happened a handful of times over the last 6 months but when it does happen it's excruciating and lasts for about 8-12 hours for me. It's like a pressure building and building and building until I move and then it eases for a few seconds then starts all over again.

I spoke to my GP about this in April at my review and he said it could be a number of things causing this - as Whoami listed in my case he said it could be either the meds/dehydration/fm related.

Nothing I did worked, but about 3 months ago I started on a magnesium/vitamin d/calcium combined supplement and since then it hasn't happened. I don't know if the supplement has helped as I have only had restless legs a few times but it definitely hasn't happened since I started on them.

Try speaking to your local pharmacist as they will be able to advise on any supplements or any other meds you can take with what you are currently on, which may help the cramps and restless legs.

I vaguely remember another member saying on here that she was prescibed a med for this but I can't remember what it was lol. If you type Restless Legs into the search box and press enter it will bring up the threads and it should be on there - just incase you want to try it and need the name of it to ask your GP about.

Good Luck and I hope you manage to get sorted soon.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:05 pm

hi, i started on quinine a few weeks ago and although they havnt gone altogether they are not as server as they were,

so i think they have helped me quite well as they were bad some days especialy in my bum cheekes.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby vectra » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks everyone for your reply's i have spoken to my chemist who said i need to see the Dr so i booked in Im there tomorrow weds 12/6/2013 but i take a lot of vitamins not pottasium or quinine but my hands also go in spasms as well so im going to see what she says ive cut my fluids back abit as im up in the night weeing so after 9pm i don't drink, I'll let you all know tomorrow what the Dr says.Ive been taking magnessium which is brill for all sorts of things.
vectra
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems