How did you all start with Fibro

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How did you all start with Fibro

Postby summerbaby » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Hello All

I wanted to ask some questions, and please feel free to answer in any way you might think back to how you became a Fibro sufferer. Any small link to any of the listings below would be a help.

I just wanted to see if there maybe any others that have links to below, then became Fibro - ME/CFS sufferers.

Car accidents - resulting in whiplash

Falls for no reason - resulting in broken bones

Lumber punctures, or procedure done because of head viral infections, or any other problems but resulting in Lumber Puncture being performed

Treatment of a medication not normally used in your other past meds before suffering or being diagnosed with Fibro

Sudden high amounts of stress, IE, close deaths, or anything that caused a major stress where you did not recover ie maybe as easily as someone else did

Been on any Diet Medication

Suffered with a severe viral flu bug, that affected the upper body

Insomnia - however long or short

Sudden memory problems, or unexplained memory lapses

Have a think about any of the above Before Being Diagnosed with Fibro, CFS/ME however long after any of the above.

Many thanks
Summerbaby
summerbaby
UKFM Member

Re: How did you all start with Fibro

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Curious as to why the questions. They seem to be specific are you researching for something?
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby summerbaby » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:19 pm

I am researching myself to see if anyone else has the same kind of past.

I really wanted to see if anyone else has had more than two of what I listed that's all. If anyone does have the same perhaps its worth looking into how many other people do have similar coincidences,any clues into this deliberating condition is better than none at all. Yes it is for my own personal research. :idea:
Summerbaby
summerbaby
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:43 pm

For me I've had car accidents resulting in whiplash, all be it a few years prior to fibro.

Immediately before major onset - in the July time I think it was I got swine flu and was treated with the drug they were giving out. It was quite bad and I was poorly with it. Obviously the illness and the med were new to me. My pain started up in the November December but just knee pain at that point. Then in the February shoulder pain joined in. Then the may I had my first major flare when the fibro kicked in and I knew something was wrong.

Going back to childhood. I was very prone to viruses and illnesses. Constant ear and throat infections. I have always been overly sensitive to pain and have always suffered with aches and pains for as long as I can remember which is age 5. I suffered with glandular fever at age13. I ended up in a wheelchair twice growing up due to pain in my legs.

I never felt normal, ever. My legs have always ached. I've always felt stiff and achy on stairs. I've also always struggled with fatigue. So looking back I believe I've had fibro since childhood but the events above we're what triggered it to the next level and it becoming a problem rather than just what I was used to being like.

Hope this helps.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:35 pm

I had an accident at work that triggered the fibro.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby summerbaby » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:40 pm

Was the accident that you had did it injure the spine or neck at all

Thank you for your reply it is kind of you to take the time to help out.

Thanks again
Summerbaby
summerbaby
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:44 pm

After the birth of my 2nd child triggered mine although the birth wasnt stressfull at all and the pregnancy was easy (not like the 1st one) :shock: i only had gas and air where with my 1st i had everything going!! tens machine/meptid/gas n air then ended up having epidural topped up 8 times and was in labour 36hours with the threat of a c-sect but managed in the end to have her naturaly with a little help with a ventuse (cap) very ill after took 6 months to recover so strange that the 2nd triggered it off :-? :-? :-?
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby whoami » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:57 pm

I had a head and neck injury at work
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby summerbaby » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Thank you so much for your replies.

Thank you for your detail Lisa, it was very kind of you to share your background into this awful condition.

:-D
Summerbaby
summerbaby
UKFM Member

Postby summerbaby » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:03 pm

I get the feeling people don't want to comment on how there Fibro started, by the number of people who have looked at the post and that is peoples choice. What I would like to say is that I really should amend my post to say I am really happy if people just list something like accident or even husband :crazy: or anything they want of how it started with them, and just hopefully people may see a connection or maybe get a better understanding too.

I really never wanted to ask people all of their business, quite the opposite, I was just interested in whether any number of people started with this deliberating condition in the same way. It may give an understanding and it may not, But thank you too the people who have posted so far.

:lol:
Summerbaby
summerbaby
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:25 am

Most Dr's who diagnose or treat fibro know that it can be brought on by
.......stress, any type
.......injury...again any
.......depression
.......childbirth
.......and many other reasons.
The actual cause or start is yet unknown but it seems to have had something give it a jolt. Just like many other
illness. I would think most people, unless like mine was an accident at work, therefore a claim with them, really don't care what triggered, brought it on. They are more concerned with how to cope with it.

I hope you got the info you needed.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Flash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:48 am

Hi, I had been looking into Vagus nerve damage. The nerve is in the back of the neck and travels down to the stomach area and has branches leading to other areas.

Whiplash, viral illness, concussion, throat restrictions, stomach ops, infection of the spinal fluid or brain, arthritis, digestive disorders and other things can damage this nerve in several different places. The symptoms of damage are the same as those for F/M. The area affected seems to determine the degree it effects any area eg; some F/M sufferers have more stomach problems than others while with some the neck may be more effected.

I have trouble with my neck, spine arms and shoulders, speech and sight problems. Stomach problems are mild (IBS)

I had a car accident, severe whiplash, have arthritis in the neck, have had glandular fever and have had asthma since childhood.

Many books will mention the possible run up to F/M and research in America especially, seems to be taking all this into consideration.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby vmvseoa » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:16 pm

I had a car crash in 2006 and got quite bad whiplash. Since then, I always felt lethargic after exercise, and seemed to take longer to recover, but the majority of symptoms (I have them all!!!!!!) seemed to start a few years ago. I had open heart surgery, and every complication that could have happened. As a result, I was put into an induced coma for two weeks. This caused it's own problems with my stubborn head, memory loss, anxiety and panic attacks, and GAD & SAD. Joy! During rehab, it was noticed that during the op, one of the nerves in my chest was damaged. This itself caused over a year of heart attack symptoms, and breathing problems. That really helped my anxiety!!!! I was unable to exercise, so piled weight on. This didn't do much for my already low (and digging) self esteem. Whilst I can now see a very, very dim light (I'm hoping it's not a torch) at the end of the recovery tunnel, I know the FM will still be there so can't gee my self up too much.
vmvseoa
UKFM Member

Postby Purpledot » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:58 pm

I had it niggling in the background since my late teens (I had quite a bit of stress at home from age 11) but my symptoms were kick-started last year after breaking my wrist.
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby summerbaby » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Thank you again for taking time out for all the replies, its certainly educational looking at how many people started with this and what they attribute it too or thinking back what may have been the starting cause.

I do not believe there is enough done here about this awful condition. Myself I take quite heavy meds most days its quite bad. The Americans seem to research this a lot more than what we do here. I sympathies with all the many people who don't even know they have it or haven't been diagnosed because when you are diagnosed its like OK, wheres the magic pill to make it go away !!! and one doesn't exist, not yet anyway. I really dislike the fact that some doctors don't even recognize it or refuse to recognize it, and the poor unfortunate patient is left wondering what is the matter with them.
Summerbaby
summerbaby
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems