Dercums disease

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dercums disease

Postby blueeyes64 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:49 pm

I went to the Drs as the other week one of my fingers swelled up and my toes were feeling swollen but didn't look it.I had some more blood tests done as its been a while since the last lot, to check for anything like RA etc.

Blood tests were normal apart from borderline Vit D but who doesn't have that in this country as we don't get enough sun !
I mentioned the lipoma things under my skin as I had been getti a lot of burning and pain sensations in them lately.Just last night be in my thigh kept hurting which took me by surprise and made me wince and cry out.

The GP suspects the lumps to be dermatofibroma lumps but I have looked up the description for these and it doesn't seem to fit.It says they're are mostly on the lower legs for a start, I don't have any down there.Mine are on my thighs (oldest one here is over 20 years old and quite large ) both on top and underneath which cause discomfort when sitting, under my ribs - these cause a lot of aching pain, upper arms, forearm, buttocks, hips, abdomen.

I was reading about Dercums disease and I know it's very rare but symptoms seem to fit better for this.Apparently not everyone with this is very over weight, I am a couple of stones overweight TBH but not obese, size 14 -16.And it describes a burning or stabbing pain, both of which I get.

It also mentions epilepsy as a possible symptom.Im waiting to see a neurologist next month about some odd episodes I keep having, starting with sudden tiredness followed by my eyes flickering and darting, staring like in a trance, head tipping back and eyes rolling into head, dribbling ! and then afterwards slight confusion and extreme lethargy for a couple of hours.

So I just wondered if there was anyone on here who had Dercums who could say what symptoms they got and if its a possibility ?
TIA
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Re: Dercums disease

Postby MichelleJ » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Not heard of it Hun so no help there but the burning and stabbing pains are also consistent with fibro. They come under the nerve/neurological/neuropathy pain. These are one of the symptoms I find hardest to cope with as they're so painful and can suddenly appear. But maybe mention this other illness to your neurologist when u go, see if it fits from his point of view.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Re: Dercums disease

Postby MichelleJ » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Sorry, meant pain sensations forgot what u put while I was typing x
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems