Fingers sticking together

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fingers sticking together

Postby Artygirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:49 am

Last weekend I noticed that my pinkie and ring finger on my left hand were sticking together. My ring finger curls towards my palm but the pinkie stays straight. Sometimes the middle finger joins in and sticks to the other two! It's not painful when it is happens and it's not like cramp. I already have problems with my arms, hands and fingers but this is just a weird addition! I also get a weird feeling in my left forearm, don't know how to describe it. Like a pulling, tight feeling. I said to my husband it feels like there is a long metal rod inside my forearm.

I wanted to mention all this to my GP at my last appointment but didn't. It wasn't a great appointment, there was a student there so I clammed up. Really annoying as he is a doctor that listens and I'm starting to open up to. He mentioned FM back in March after doing a top to toe exam but then when my bloods results came back (positive ANA and positive anti-SSA) he said it might be lupus or sjogrens and referred me to Rheumatology. However, a few weeks ago he thought I might also have FM as well as an AI so put me on pregabalin. I could be wrong, but I get the impression that now he has referred me there isn't a lot he can do. Maybe that's why I didn't tell him about my fingers.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention this in case anyone here has experienced something similar. Hubby doesn't say much when it happens but I can tell he is concerned.
Jennifer

"You can't fail if you never stop trying." Yogi Bear
Artygirl
UKFM Member

Re: Fingers sticking together

Postby Purpledot » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 pm

My fingers don't exactly stick together, but I have noticed that my little finger and fourth finger on my right hand do curl inwards and under, especially if I'm just relaxing the hand. These fingers are also very stiff and painful in the mornings, and to a lesser degree all the time, and the little finger quite often seems to semi-dislocate and is painful to click back in.

I have been diagnosed with 'early nodal OA', and I know the fourth finger was the main culprit then.

I would mention it to you GP just in case.
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby Artygirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Thanks, think I do need to mention it to the doctor. Yesterday my left hand started shaking all by itself and the right one did the same today. I notice that when my left arm is relaxed by my side my three finger curl in like a claw. Seems to be affecting the toes on my left foot too as the sort of clump together when I walk.

So grateful for my iPad and stylus! using a normal keyboard would be practically impossible. Due a desk assessment at work so they can make adjustments for my return but really don't think I can function at a computer at the moment. :(
Jennifer

"You can't fail if you never stop trying." Yogi Bear
Artygirl
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:11 am

My OH gets this, his fingers curl in outwith his control, and he can't hold anything. Then it realxes and his hand is fine. In his case the GP said it's due to his work over the decades and all the drum playing he's done over the years.If it becomes a major problem for him he's to get cortisone injections.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems