Family history anyone?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Family history anyone?

Postby Bunnythecat » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:35 pm

Hello, i'm new. Currently waiting dx, seems to be a toss up between MS and FM at the moment.

I only remembered very recently that my Mum had FM (among other things). I think I read somewhere that if you have a parent or sibling with FM you are more likely to get it? Is that true and how many of you on here have a family member with FM?

Thanks
Bunnythecat
UKFM Newbie

Re: Family history anyone?

Postby mililly » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi

I've just been diagnosed im 47 and my mum has it. Not sure if anyone else in the family has it.
mililly
UKFM Member

Postby Pretzelnut » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:39 pm

My mum has it. It was first mentioned to her 24 years ago, but she only got an official diagnosis last year.

I am currently awaiting a diagnosis. Been referred to rheumatology.

My worst fear is knowing that I have 2 girls and that I may have passed it onto them :cry:
Pretzelnut
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:47 pm

My sister has just been diagnosed too. She really wasn't expecting it, she went expecting to be diagnosed with something completely different. :-?
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby MammaSun » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie as well. I've had symptoms for over 10 years but was officially diagnosed 3 years ago. My Mum & Sister both have FM as well!
MammaSun
UKFM Newbie

Postby Diane64 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi,
Yea my older sister was diagnosed with fibro about 7 years ago, i was diagnosed with it earlier this year, im 48, my other sister and mum display and suffer alot of the same symptoms but have not been investigated by their gp.. :-)
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby mililly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:45 pm

Well i did say my mum has it and i was told by one rheumatologist i had it but now theyve changed their mind as my cpr levels were raised on my blood test. Now she thinks its poly myalgia rheumatica...
mililly
UKFM Member

Postby concernedmum » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:23 pm

My mother-in-law had MS and now my son has FM. He is super worried he will end up with MS, can anyone tell me if the 2 are connected? He was only diagnosed in Feb this year so we are very new to this illness.
concernedmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:02 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to the boards concernedmum (and concernedmum's son :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

As far as I'm aware, apart from some shared/overlapping symptoms, there isn't a link between the 2 conditions whereby being dx'd with FM will lead to the development/onset of MS.

With your son being recently dx'd and you both wanting/needing to find out more about the condition, you could start by having a bit of a looky around the place and see what there is. There's a good chance there may be some helpful suggestions and/or answers to any questions you both may have about the condition.

For anything at all that either you or your son are wondering about, there's generally someone not too far away who may be able to offer advice, so just ask away :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:02 pm

As far as I am aware, the only way they are connected is that FM sometimes mimics the symtoms of MS. I have heard of people being diagnosed years ago with MS to now be told it isnt its FM and one person was the other way round. If your son has had an MRI scan of his head then I would assume its come back clear and therefore his is FM rather than MS as MS shows up on brain scans
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby concernedmum » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:25 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote::cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to the boards concernedmum (and concernedmum's son :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

As far as I'm aware, apart from some shared/overlapping symptoms, there isn't a link between the 2 conditions whereby being dx'd with FM will lead to the development/onset of MS.

With your son being recently dx'd and you both wanting/needing to find out more about the condition, you could start by having a bit of a looky around the place and see what there is. There's a good chance there may be some helpful suggestions and/or answers to any questions you both may have about the condition.

For anything at all that either you or your son are wondering about, there's generally someone not too far away who may be able to offer advice, so just ask away :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Thanks for such a lovely welcome and also for putting my mind at rest. I have found the site very helpful so far and will be sure to ask if I need any more help :yikes:
concernedmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby concernedmum » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:34 pm

denys wrote:As far as I am aware, the only way they are connected is that FM sometimes mimics the symtoms of MS. I have heard of people being diagnosed years ago with MS to now be told it isnt its FM and one person was the other way round. If your son has had an MRI scan of his head then I would assume its come back clear and therefore his is FM rather than MS as MS shows up on brain scans

Thank you for your reply. My son had an MRI scan 5 years ago after being attacked on his way home, the scan came back clear at that time so here's hoping we are just over reacting! While on the subject do you think it's possible the FM could have been brought on through the stress and trauma of the attack? I just don't understand why it has happened as he was such a fit and healthy boy before the attack. Sorry to bombard you with questions.............
concernedmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:03 am

Yes fibro can come on as a result of trauma and stress.

Being a fibromyalgia forum moderator over a period of 6 years , i have spoken to and read thousands of peoples stories and the most cause of FM does tend to be stress/trauma/accidents and in some the birth of their children.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm another who thinks that FM can be triggered by trauma and stress :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: As well as going on what has been said on here over time, I've also had my own experiences and instances which, when looking back at them, has each added it's own little bit to things I found out I had and was dealing with, until I reach the point of no return and ended up in FibroVille.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby HazelB » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:04 am

It's thought that FM can have a genetic predisposition (so if it runs in your family you may be at a higher risk), but it needs some sort of *trigger* which is frequently summer sort of stress or trauma x
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems