Tongue biting in sleep?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tongue biting in sleep?

Postby pinky1 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:24 pm

Just wondered if anyone else ever wakes in the middle of the night with sores/ulcers on their tongue or in the morning when you wake up?
This has been happening on and off for a while to me. Last night I woke at 3.30am and I think it was because of the pain on my tongue. I sleep alone but don't thing I grind my teeth or clench my Jaw. Also my too 4 front teeth are false and I don't sleep with them in. Just a bit worried I'm having some sort of nocturnal seizures??!?!

Any ideas or suggestions. Will mention it to my GP when I see her in a couple of weeks anyway
X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
pinky1
UKFM Member

Re: Tongue biting in sleep?

Postby whoami » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:38 pm

Pinky.....I would not be surprised if you sleep with your mouth open. I have a very dry mouth and tongue. They are so dry that my tongue is cracked some mornings and bleeding. I also get the impression of my teeth on the tongue.

I went to a sleep clinic and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Now I use a CPAP. The machine has a built in humidifier so it helps with my dry tongue.

Pinky, talk to your GP there are lots of options for dry mouth. Good luck.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Tongue biting in sleep?

Postby pinky1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks Whaomi

Yeah ever since pregnancy I haven't been able to lie down on my back, close my mouth and breath through my nose. Always feel like I'm blocked up, sometimes it wore when my sinuses flare up. Never considered it to be dry mouth. You could be right enough.
I had 4 grand mal seizures through my 20's they believe it was to do with medication, my CAT scan was clear for epilepsy, that was about 6 years ago. The only reason I've worried about nocturnal fits is because sometimes when I've woken with what feels like a bitten tongue has been exactly like when I bit my tongue when I took those fits.
Going to talk to GP I have my very last appointment with her in two weeks :-( fantastic GP. The primary care trust are making anyone out with the surgery boundaries register somewhere else. Pretty gutted, been there for nearly 21 years. And my GP has gone above and beyond her job for me.
I'm rambling but my GP and another local fibro sufferer has recommended another good dr apparently. So fingers crossed.
Sorry for the essay. Should really try and sleep
X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
pinky1
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:57 am

Pinky...your meds can also give you dry mouth. I am glad you are going to mention your issues to the Dr...there maybe an easy fix.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:04 am

Hope the docs can find the answer for you, sounds painful :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems