Plantar Fasciitis and found a lump

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Plantar Fasciitis and found a lump

Postby JemmaB88 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Afternoon all,

Hope we are all feeling OK.

I have had plantar fasciitis for a few years now, and was diagnosed before fibro. It comes and goes but for the past couple of months, 3 maybe, it has been very bad. It keeps me awake at night, it makes me walk oddly and then causes my hip to be painful. Overall not nice. However, I have a lump on the back of my heel, where the Achilles tendon meets the foot. It is about the side of a penny and probably protrudes almost 1cm away from my foot. I have been ignoring it, which is dumb. I thought it was a callous where I have to wear flat leather shoes for work, but it is actually very hard, like bone almost.

I am seeing the doc on 29th, so I will ask him about it. What I am wondering is, would this lump be causing the plantar fasciitis, or could the PF have caused it due to my odd gait? Who knows, I guess it will be yet something else to be referred up and left for months. I hope something gets done as it is very very painful. Shoe inserts or something would be great.

Does anyone have any ideas?
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Re: Plantar Fasciitis and found a lump

Postby denys » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Really dont know sorry, but hope you get it sorted :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: Plantar Fasciitis and found a lump

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:57 pm

I found this about possible causes of PF
Repeated small injuries to the fascia (with or without inflammation) are thought to be the cause of plantar fasciitis. The injury is usually near to where the plantar fascia attaches to your heel bone.

You are more likely to injure your plantar fascia in certain situations. For example:
If you are on your feet for a lot of the time, or if you do lots of walking, running, standing, etc, when you are not used to it. (The condition is sometimes called 'policeman's heel', as policemen 'walking the beat' were said to be commonly affected.) Also, people with a sedentary lifestyle are more prone to plantar fasciitis.
If you have recently started exercising on a different surface - for example, running on the road instead of a track.
If you have been wearing shoes with poor cushioning or poor arch support.
If you are overweight - this will put extra strain on your heel.
If there is overuse or sudden stretching of your sole. For example: athletes who increase running intensity or distance; poor technique starting 'off the blocks', etc.
If you have a tight Achilles tendon (the big tendon at the bottom of your calf muscles above your heel). This can affect your ability to flex your ankle and make you more likely to damage your plantar fascia.

Often there is no apparent cause for plantar fasciitis, particularly in older people. A common wrong belief is that the pain is due to a bony growth or 'spur' coming from the heel bone (calcaneum). Many people have a bony spur of the heel bone but not everyone with this gets plantar fasciitis.

Not sure if there's anythng in there that is of help. I'd add it to your list of things for your GP appt.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems