Wounds and bruising

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Wounds and bruising

Postby IsaFieryPhoenix » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering something that I have been experiencing even as a child. Now I do not know if this might be because I was 3 months born prematurely , or if it has got to do with my FMS. But ever since I can remember if I would get bruises they could last up to 6 months to be completely gone, while my friends had their bruises gone in 2 or 3 weeks, or even shorter. And if I cut myself after having bumped it or scraped it, it could take at least 2 months for the wounds to be healed, while my friends had it healed within a week or 1.5 week (if not faster). Now then I did not know what it was, I thought because I was just a weird kid. I always used to lose my balance as well, and bruise my ankles or break something very easily, which they said was due to my premature birth.

Now I have been diagnosed with FMS last year November, things have started to fall in perspective. We know now that me balance issues was not only due to being born too early, but also FMS. And there were more things that now make sense, like memory loss (fibro fog). But now I want to have the following solved as well, because my partner is also wondering the same. He can have a cut on his finger and it is healed within days. For me that takes weeks. My question is: My bruises and wounds, do they take longer to heal, than any other person due to the FMS?? Or is that another reason?? Even the doctors cannot find a reason why I bruise so easily as I do. I just have to lightly bump myself against a chair with my hip and I'll get a big bruise as big as a grapefruit on that hip within 20min. They tested me to see if it had to do with my blood, but it all came back fine. The same with the wounds. I got a wound on my left foot in November (doctor dropped me and I cut my foot in hospital) and that wound took until March to be fully healed.

Do more people with FMS have this problem?

Hope to hear from you, and sorry if it is in the wrong group :(

Isa
IsaFieryPhoenix
UKFM Newbie

Re: Wounds and bruising

Postby kazza65 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi,

I'm glad somebody else has mention this because when i cut my finger or anything it takes ages to heal. Also when i bruise i mean i bruise, i had an operation 2 years ago and i can still see the marks of the bruises on my leg.

What it must be because we take so much medication that we take much make a brusing system slow.

Karen
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:30 pm

I've :horse_running: :horse_running: :horse_running: you over to this board as it seems a bit more suitable for what you're asking about.

There are a few on here who have mentioned about bruising easily and finding that wounds etc can take longer to heal. I've always bruised incredibly easily, the slightest rap leaves me in varying shades of black and blue, and they seem to take longer and longer to clear up each time it happens. I can't say it relates to being prem in my case tho, as I was born a week late :-? :-? :-? :-?

I've always found that it takes longer for wounds etc to heal, I have diabetes as well, which can contribute to longer healing times, but taking longer to heal has been with me for as long as I remember, well well before the diabetes dx.

Probably not much help in relation to what you were wondering about, but at least you know you're not alone with this particular foible :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Purpledot » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:23 pm

I bruise very easily, and the bruises do last quite a while but not as long as some of you guys. I have also noticed that cuts etc take quite a while to heal.

I have also noticed that other injuries, mainly sprains etc, take ages to heal, many never healing completely. I had a lot of sprained ankles, feet, wrists etc when I was a child, and still have problems with some of them to this day! I also manage to pull muscles really easily, and these take ages to heal, too.

This FM thing has a lot to answer for!
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:48 am

I never thought about it before but yes cuts do seem to take a longer to heal than before
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby kirsty2474 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:38 pm

I find I do bruise quite easy and the bruises take ages to go, but I don't have the same problem with cuts.

Do you bleed quite a lot if you get a cut? If so has your dr done any coagulation tests? Because sometimes (not often) if you suffer quite badly with bruising it may be something to do with the way your naturally clots.
kirsty2474
UKFM Newbie

Postby IsaFieryPhoenix » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:57 pm

kirsty2474 wrote:I find I do bruise quite easy and the bruises take ages to go, but I don't have the same problem with cuts.

Do you bleed quite a lot if you get a cut? If so has your dr done any coagulation tests? Because sometimes (not often) if you suffer quite badly with bruising it may be something to do with the way your naturally clots.

Yes, they did all kinds of tests, and they cannot find anything that shows that there is anything wrong. That is why I am asking if it is normal. A week ago I got my depro injection (anti-children injection, at this moment, fibro fog is really bad, and I do not know how it is called, and therefore have to describe what it is), and as the nurse pulled the needle out, there was a lot of blood coming out, just from one small injection, she put a plaster on it that I had to change when I got home (20 min later). Then 20 minutes later after that, it was all good, but I had a bruise as big as a grapefruit on my ass, and could not sit on that side for days. My skin breaks easily as well, I get blisters very easily, and as I was doing some hand wash yesterday (underwear, which my man is not comfortable doing :P), I scraped skin off 2 off my fingers, while I was not even being that rough. So yeah... definitely issues there...Just no idea what the issues can be... Seeing nothing comes back with tests.
IsaFieryPhoenix
UKFM Newbie

Postby ccat21 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi have you looked at hypermobility syndrome which is very simular symptoms to FMS but easily bruising is common with it, I have been dx with both and it has helped me understand my symptoms. Good luck Cat
ccat21
UKFM Member

Postby IsaFieryPhoenix » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:04 pm

ccat21 wrote:Hi have you looked at hypermobility syndrome which is very simular symptoms to FMS but easily bruising is common with it, I have been dx with both and it has helped me understand my symptoms. Good luck Cat

Cat.... That is very creepy, I just checked the symptoms and that is so familiar to how I grew up and my problems I had then and still have now, and I did that scoring that they do with it, "Beighton Score", and I did all those things they talked about with help from my Partner, and even though afterwards it hurt like hell, I was able to do all those things that they were speaking about that they score on. Also what they said about the skin, the eyes/eyelids. I will have to talk to my doctor about this and see what he says. What have they done to help you, Cat?
IsaFieryPhoenix
UKFM Newbie

Postby ccat21 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:47 pm

I have had osteotherapy and some OT help, as well as splints for wrists & fingers.But you have to watch out that the doctors dont put everything down to FMS, take in some info on HMS, I hope that you get the support & help you need, I have found the Hypermobility Syndrome Association of get help to me.
ccat21
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems