Osteomalacia and vitamins?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Osteomalacia and vitamins?

Postby Lemonie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:55 pm

I was diagnosed with FM but am thinking now that I do not have it. Since a blood test showed extremely low levels of vitamin D and starting on a high dose, my symptoms have improved vastly and I have managed to reduce my pain meds. I have gone from having, on bad days, to use a wheelchair and mobility scooter, to walking 3 miles with no pain.

I am also taking high strength Evening Primrose and 500mg vitamin C a day and would like to add Vitamin B6 and Calcium. I don't really like taking vitamins but if it means I can reduce my prescription meds then so be it. What do you take and why?
Lemonie
UKFM Member

Re: Osteomalacia and vitamins?

Postby denys » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Sounds like a misdiagnosis maybe you should go back and see your doc again and explain how things have improved :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Lemonie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:26 pm

I am due at the hospital soon but I need to know if anybody takes vitamins, which ones and why. :-D
Lemonie
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:58 pm

There are mentions of people taking various supplements. A good number of them are due to deficiencies that have been picked up during tests, but others do use them to boost their levels to see if they make a difference to their symptoms.

Vitamin D deficiency symptoms can be very similar to those of FM, so it is possible that you may not have FM. But then again, as Vitamin D deficiency is often an associated problem with FM, it is possible that you do actually FM and that treating your deficiency is also helping ease your FM symptoms at the moment.

The only way to really find out is to speak to your GP or consultant and for them to investigate things if needed to try and give you the answers you're looking for.

WRT to finding out about what things others on here are taking and for what reason, whilst you're waiting to see what replies you could get, you could use the search function in the top right corner of each page to see if it gives you some more info.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Lemonie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:37 pm

I had used the search function first which only gave me 2 replies which is why I posted. Obviously people with FM either don't take vitamins, or don't use this forum.
Lemonie
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Thats odd as we have had a number of posts made about vitamins and supplements over the last few years and when I searched I got 608 matches :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems