queston on fibro genetic or not

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

queston on fibro genetic or not

Postby jason25 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:08 am

hi all i got is fibromyalgia genetic only asking cause me and my partner want to start trying for a baby soon but i dont want that kid to get fibromyalgia so is it a hundred percent chance the kid will get it or 50 50 just asking cause i dont want my own kid going through what we all go through if its a hundred percent i look into adopting with my gf
jason25
UKFM Member

Re: queston on fibro genetic or not

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:43 am

There is an awful lot that isn't known about FM Jason, lots and lots of research is desperately needed to confirm or disprove the numerous ideas, questions and theories that people are wondering about, and this is one of those such questions, so my answer may not be as helpful as you're wanting I'm afraid :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If you have a look around the forum there are a lot of topics where members have mentioned that various relatives have been dx'd with FM, or been told they have the condition when it was also known under one of its earlier names such as rheumatics or fibrositis. There doesn't seem to be a clear/direct link that it definitely goes from generation to generation tho as, in some cases it has been an older relative who has been given a dx, then a generation or 2 may be skipped before it reappears/is dx'd. There are other cases where a more distant relative has it, yet no~one who is closely related to them has the condition. And of course, there are those who have parents who have the condition/may show signs and symptoms in varying degrees.

As for the likelihood of it being passed on to a child, it's another area that needs an awful lot of researching before a definite ratio/chance can be determined about it being passed on/developing.

The best thing I can suggest is that you try and do some research, see if you can find out about someone who is affected in a similar way to how you are, who has gone on to have children and see if there are any signs that FM may have been passed on to them. You could also make an appt to talk things thru with your GP (if they are one of the understanding and helpful ones) and see what they may have to say or suggest to you about this.

I had my son before I was dx'd, altho thinking back, as hindsight is so powerful, I was probably starting to show some possible signs of it appearing with different things I was experiencing, affected by and already been told I had. I've had a few worries that he might also be showing signs of FM, but when I've taken him to the docs about it, after a thorough checking out, incl testing some of the known tender points, so far he seems to be completely unFM'd, which is always a relief to hear.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby jason25 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:02 pm

acturly that was helpful i have done my reserch on a few sites but its amazing how many things say this and that and others say the oppersit but thanks for the advise just didnt get a 100 percent anwser so i look round a bit more but thanks for the help
jason25
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:22 pm

You'll probably find it's difficult to get a 100% definite answer about most things where FM is concerned. It's vagueness and unpredictability along with how differently it affects each of us means that just as you think you're getting a handle on it, something else appears that completely changes everything. Because of this, I wasn't at all surprised to read that you have come across contradicting info knowing how much of it I've read over the years.

When All Else Fails, Hug your Teddy xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:04 pm

As flup says you will never find a 100% answer as there has not been enough research into the condition and if its hereditry.

I always thought it wasnt as FM tends to come on after trauma/stresses and accidents in the majority of people so i didnt connect that with being hereditry until my 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with it last year!! :shock: now i am not sure what the score is :-? and i doubt we will know for a long while to come.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:13 pm

With the possible genetic factor as well as the trauma/stress aspects, I've often wondered if we're born with some sort of predisposition to develop the condition, depending on what happens to us over our lives. And depending on how much stress/trauma we're each able to take, the various things that happen to us over time adds that bit more to the build up until we reach our tipping point, then start the manic descent down into FM~dom :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:12 pm

As has been said 100% answer would be impossible even if a lot more was known about fibro, I have 4 children all born before FM raised its ugly head, none have it as yet and they are in their 20's and 30's so :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems