Tmj surgery

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tmj surgery

Postby Sue1968 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:03 am

Hi, has anyone else had to have tmj treatment, namely arthroscopy amongst other problems I have this issue of extremely thin discs in my jaw joints, been going on for quite Some time. Back in may I had quite a good jaw opening without too much pain, but I saw the consultant in August and I've been listed for surgery as my jaw opening has become extremely painful, eating, talking and anything else I do like yawning, cleaning my teeth is excruciating! I'm scheduled to have surgery on 11/10 I must admit im really scared! I'm glad I have my best friend to stay with me until I recover. Then I'm going to be eating fresh veg soup, for 3 weeks as I won't be able to eat anything else.
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Re: Tmj surgery

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:24 am

Hi,

I have just popped this topic in the associated conditions :-D

I suffer badly with TMJ and they refuse any surgery because of fibro. Having fibro will mean i will always suffer TMJ symptoms no matter the surgery but from what i am aware of for me its mainly muscular and no problems (so far) with the discs which is probbly why you need the surgery.

I hope all goes well :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Sue1968 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks Lisa, want sure it needed to go in a special topic
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby Sue1968 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:56 am

Hi everyone, my tmj surgery has been postponed due to my fibromyalgia and the extensive medical history I hold, the anaesthetist has asked for several cardiology testings to be done like 5 day ECG, An indepth ECG to be reviewed by a cardiologist but due to when I'm supposed to be going in to have the surgery it's too tight so I've had a phone call from the pre op dr I saw who had a really long chat with me and we've agreed I also want to enjoy my holiday as well, so the tests are happening next week and so I'll keep you all updated

Has anyone else had the same problems??
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby alisoncunliffe0708 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi there I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis at 2 years of age and am now 37. I have recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia too. I had a total knee replacement last year which has to be taken out and another knee put back in after Christmas due to consultant error! I have problems with my TMJ and have had for over 15 years. I have been under 3 Max Fax Consultants the first one retired, the second one was ok then I moved to Northumberland so got transferred to Max Fax at the RVI in Newcastle to Mr Douglas who is a god send he is absolutely wonderful. Since having the TMJ problems only affecting the left hand side of my jaw ive had 7 Arthroscopys which have worked well and lasted from 12 -18 months before pain and discomfort came back. The last Arthroscopy I had done in July and it had worn off by August. I went to see Mr Douglas last week who has decided that I need to have the jaw joint opened up and operated on so am currently waiting to have this operation. Will keep you informed on what happens x
alisoncunliffe0708
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sue1968 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:53 pm

by alisoncunliffe0708 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi there Alison. My tmj op was cancelled due to the anaesthetist deciding I needed several tests on my heart prior to my op, I am going on holiday on Monday so in a way I'm glad it was cancelled. The only issue I've got now is my jaw locks and it's excruciating whenever I eat anything harder than soup, so I'm pretty restricted on what I can eat. If you would like to u can in box me to chat as I'd like yo get first hand experience from others of the after effects etc.
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:20 pm

Can i just ask:...

I have severe TMJ yet they will not operate / look into any other proceedure as having firbomyalgia means the jaw muscle will always be effected no matter the surgery????

alisoncunliffe0708 wrote: Since having the TMJ problems only affecting the left hand side of my jaw ive had 7 Arthroscopys which have worked well and lasted from 12 -18 months before pain and discomfort came back. The last Arthroscopy I had done in July and it had worn off by Augustx

Its good to hear you are getting help and please let us know how it goes as i would be interested to know if surgery really does cure the TMJ.

:goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Sue1968 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi

My discs are very badly worn in my jaw I'm having an exploratory arthroscopy on my tmj so no actual surgery will be done. The consultant has seen me for 15 years or more and my mouth opening has gone from extremely good to so poor that I'm on liquidised foods as my jaw actually locks when I chew, yawn or anything else including sneeze, so I am having a bad time at the moment. I will let you know how things go though. I can't even have a root canal done at my regular dentist due to my lack of mouth opening.

I hope this clears up any mis understanding in what I wrote

Sue
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:49 pm

Sue1968 wrote:Hi

My discs are very badly worn in my jaw I'm having an exploratory arthroscopy on my tmj so no actual surgery will be done. The consultant has seen me for 15 years or more and my mouth opening has gone from extremely good to so poor that I'm on liquidised foods as my jaw actually locks when I chew, yawn or anything else including sneeze, so I am having a bad time at the moment. I will let you know how things go though. I can't even have a root canal done at my regular dentist due to my lack of mouth opening.

I hope this clears up any mis understanding in what I wrote

Sue

Thats ok its me i get very :crazy: :sleep: alot :lol:

Thats awful. I know i suffer badly but that is extreme :hugs: i really hope surgery can help :fingerscrossed:
*Lisa*

Postby Sue1968 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi everyone, just to let you know I'm having my arthrotisis procedure on 3/1/14, I'll post back and let you know how it went

Wishing everyone a happy and peaceful christmas and a reasonably pain free new year 2014 (hopefully)

Sue1968
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby Sue1968 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi everyone

I had my tmj arthroscopy on 3/1/14 was discharged the following day, I have discovered a suspected infection in my wounds and surrounding my head, very tender to touch, I've made an appointment with my GP to get it checked out but I suspect I'm going to be heading back into hospital. I'm getting pain all over my face in my eye sockets and on my temple just every where, I'm also gone a bit deaf as well. During my stay in hospital my body decided to go into what I can only describe as convulsions, I think they were from the anaesthetic as this has stopped now, but it freaked me out as it woke me up.
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:48 pm

Hopefully you won't find yourself having to head back to hospital Sue :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:15 pm

Sue...if your appointment isn't soon you may need to go to emerg. Infection there should not be messed about with.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Sue1968 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:01 am

I'm considering going to the a&e as the pain is getting horrendous and I cannot cope with it as it's making me feel very sick.
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:09 am

I would get yourself down to A&E they may start you off of IV antibiotics if its an infection

These convolsions, were you shivering when waking up from surgery? not sure if you discribe the same but i had that and it was horrible.

I hope you feel better soon
*Lisa*

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems