Fatigue/Physically Exhausted

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fatigue/Physically Exhausted

Postby damnlemons » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Thank you :-D everyone does seem so helpful and welcoming on here, its a nice change!
Question was I suffer with a lot of pain all over but mainly in my back but this last few months everything seems to be a lot worse.
I work about 30 hours a week and I get the train home and I've literally been unable to stay awake, as soon as I sit down at home and relax or stop doing anything I pretty much pass out, try to wake myself out then can't keep my eyes open, it's a horrible feeling.. :( I don't feel tired its like I'm physically exhausted and I quite noticeably feel my heart pumping really hard.. is this a normal part of the fibro exhaustion? I've had it for quite a while but it's very hard to explain to doctors when they didn't know whats wrong with you..
Sorry to throw this out there, if you think its better if I post this elsewhere or stop moaning please tell me.. I'm just finding it a little hard coping and I've had so many 'symptoms' I'm not sure what's what.
Thank you guys and I hope everyone is having a good week.
Loves x

p.s. I've had many tests for thyroid, diabetes, blood pressure, vitamin deficiency etc. and was all negative.
Hope is what makes us strong. It's why we're here. It's what we fight with when all else is lost.
damnlemons
UKFM Member

Re: Fatigue/Physically Exhausted

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:08 pm

I've split this off from the Introduce Yourself topic and moved you into here with you asking about a symptom/problem as it's a more suitable board and won't get lost in amongst into posts others make. We won't tell you to to stop moaning either as we've each been in a similar place to where you are at the moment, so understand what you're going thru, and if we can offer you some advice or direct you to somewhere that might be helpful, then we will. Even if we don;t have any suggestions for you, there's always [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] and :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: to hug :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

If you're experiencing any additional stress/worries or doing more than your capabilities/limits allow, it can increase your fatigue levels to the point where no matter how much you fight it, you can't keep your eyes open. It can also suggest that you may have CFS/ME as well as, or even rather than, FM as there are many similarities between the two of them. I don't know what to suggest wrt being able to feel your heart beating really hard, apart from maybe being anxiety related :-? :-? :-? :-? I have anxiety problems, and at times when I am completely wiped out, my worries seem to be triggered off without an identifiable reason, and the heart beating harder can come with that :-? :-? :-? :-?

Like all new, unexplained and general giving~cause~for~concern things, talking to your GP about them is always the sensible thing to do. If you explain things as you have in your post, it should give them somewhere to start with hopefully being able to put your mind at rest/giving you some answers :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby damnlemons » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:19 pm

Brilliant thank you :-)
Yea I explained the above to my doctor and she listened to my chest and just thought it was maybe an infection I picked up but this was before I was diagnosed, I am going back to the new doc regularly though as I'm trying to find the right medication to help too so I'll mention it again..
Also I originally thought I had ME as a friend at work said my symptoms sounded a lot like what her daughter had (ME) so I went to my doctor (when I got really upset) and he said he thinks its Fibro because of the serious pain I have and he did a 'test' with the certain points on the body which are supposed to be sensitive in FM sufferers..? Then he sent me to a rheumatologist(?) who agreed.
I think it maybe anxiety like you said I am a bit stressed lately with things and I have a hospital appointment next week so probably worrying about that subconsciously :-|
But chocolate and hugs sounds good to me!!
Thanks again btw, :-) find it hard talking to anyone else about these things
xx
Hope is what makes us strong. It's why we're here. It's what we fight with when all else is lost.
damnlemons
UKFM Member

Postby catscout » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi, you are not alone if that helps.

I'm newly diagnosed and get so tired like you that when I get home from work, I have to sleep then force myself to get up even though I could stay there forever.

It took a while for them to diagnose me as I have had an underactive thyroid for a few years and they thought the tiredness was just that plus my lack of iron and I was treated for arthritis as I have had a bad back for 20 years.

It does seem like maybe we have more tendencies to Chronic Fatigue syndrome than some others though I'm sure most of us have it to some extent. I hear it can go through phases others would know more than me, as I say I am knew to this.

I hope you feel better soon and can get the right kind of help, I am still working too, so good luck with that.

Best wishes

Cat
catscout
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:14 pm

It is possible to have both FM and CFS/ME. I was initially dx'd with FM, but over time the fatigue has become as intense, and at times worse than, the pain, which eventually led to the additional dx. And when the CFS flares, I find there are subtle differences with it, compared to when FM is the dominant one. For me, there is an additional heaviness and achiness add to the pain I feel, as well as feeling more snuffly, fluey~like. And just before it tends to hit me, I usually have a wave of clamminess wash over me.

It might be worth trying to see about the CFS/ME possibility as at least then you might have a slightly clearer idea about why you may be affected by certain things in different ways.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Smurfy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi all

I sympathise, I too work 30 hours a week and come home absolutely shattered! I have a chronic back condition, bursitis in my hips, but loads of other tests have come back negative. It really helps to talk, I was diagnosed with FM earlier this year and have just tried to ignore it but it doesn't like being ignored!! A hot bath helps me :-D

Keep smiling guys! Xx
Smurfy
UKFM Member

Postby damnlemons » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Thank you all for your quick replies. I'm sorry to hear you feel the same too Cat and thank you :)
I think it is like people have said, something that comes in waves, I've had the fluey/groggy symptoms too before it gets really bad, people at work even say it sounds like I have a cold and then like this week I've booked the week off for my operation because I know it'll take so long for me to recover, it's only Mon and I already feel shattered again.
I find hot baths help too :) also my Mum works in a health food store and gave me this cream/gel called 'Devil's Claw Gel' i found it really good to put on my lower back when I was in a lot of pain, its a natural version of deep heat I suppose. And it doesn't stink! I think it said it was meant for people with joint problems.

"Good for: lower back pain, painful joints caused by osteoarthritis, general muscular aches and pains
Current uses
For arthritic and rheumatic symptoms
Research shows that devil’s claw can help relieve pain and in some cases improve mobility in people suffering from osteoarthritis or degenerative rheumatism. It is not known exactly how devil’s claw works but the anti- inflammatory properties of the active compounds, the harpagosides and the plants sterols found in its roots, are thought to be responsible."

Hope this helps a little bit but thank you all again, talking does make things so much easier :) I did ignore it the first few months but now I've come to realise this is what it is and there are things I can do to ease or help, I've started feeling much better!

Loves
xx
damnlemons
UKFM Member

Postby damnlemons » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Also Cat, how do you find working? On some of the comments on here it seems like some people can't work much during the week. Is there anyone else who works a lot too?
I have sometimes at my worst wanted to quit and not work as I have to take so many days off because I can hardly get out of bed, but as I'm so young I can't afford to not have an income :( and they won't offer me any kind of benefit.
I was just wondering what work you do? My work is quite physical, I run around all day so I'm not sure if office work would be better.
Think I'll start a new question about it anyway but just wanted to ask you?
Sorry and thanks xx
damnlemons
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:04 pm

I go through phases like that, last week I was asleep by about 8.30 each night, but other times I can manage till 10 and later at weekends when I'm not at work (I work full time, and have an hour commute each way). It varies. You might find it's just a phase.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby damnlemons » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Yea thank you, its good to hear other people are coping with working full time too. I know I do have times when its a lot worse than others, but I get that with the pain too, most the time its a constant but sometimes it'll be really bad and on occasion its hardly there at all.
The human body is a funny thing lol.
xx
damnlemons
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Hi, hope you feel better soon and also get medication that works for you,never heard of devils claw, maybe check into that this week.

I too work, my shifts are 12.30pm (noon) till 9.30am the next day, this will be changing soon to 9.30am to 9.30am, i can lock the office at 12.30am and go to bed, but sleep poorly due to sleep apnea and just cause my body gets sore lying.

I was speaking to my daughter in law yesterday who has MS and works part time, we were talking about Benefits, she would be £30.00 a week better off not working as would be able to claim full benefits but chooses to still work and bring up a 2 year old, i would love to consider working part time but we couldnt afford it and unlikely would be able to try to claim any benefits as still work full time, ive not looked into whether i would be entitled to dla/pip and prob only get basic esa.

There are days i cannot face going into work but i cannot afford to stay off on the sick..vicious circle!!

Take care..Di. x
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Devils claw is a pretty well known herbally remedy used in the treatment of muscle and joint pain, backache and rheumatism. It is only found in the Kalahari Desert, Southern Africa. It is the root that is used in remedies.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby damnlemons » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Diane do you mean you'll be working 12 hours straight? Or did I misread?? I'm sorry to hear you struggle so much with sleeping *hugs*.
Yea I know that if I didn't work at all just on normal benefits i'd be on more money but I don't want to, also I don't know anything about dla so I'm not even sure how to go about it and I don't think I'd be eligible as I HAVE worked so long with it now :-?
I also don't get sick pay at my work so I literally lose money cos I get so run down. Vicious circle indeed.
I wish there was a kind of top up that we could have so we could work the amount we COULD do, but still be able to afford bills etc without running our bodies into the ground or not working altogether :(
Hmm..
Chocolate and hugs time anyone? :-D
xx
damnlemons
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:10 pm

Hiya

I'm another one is the still working club and I know the feeling of the viscious cycle. I feel that all I do outside of work is rest and prepare myself mentally and physically for work lol. I also go through phases where I can feel quite energetic for a good few days and it's great and then I'll have days where come 7pm my bed is calling me and I'm out for the night.

I often find that the fatigue can get to me much more than the actual pain of this awful illness, as it just makes my brain switch off completely and that's it I'm done for the day lol. Even the simplest of questions I couldn't even answer when this happens lol.

I have been taking some supplements for the last 6 months now, the ones I take are Magnesium/Calcium/Vitamin D combined and you take 3 tablets with your main meal once a day. Since taking them I have found that the fatigue intensity I suffer has decreased quite a lot and I notice a difference if I don't take them. I still have moments where my head hits the keyboard as I fall asleep lol but on the whole I have seen an improvement in my energy levels.

damnlemons wrote:Chocolate and hugs time anyone

yes pls lol I think a sneaky trip to the vending machine is in order for me today lol thank God for chocolate
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby damnlemons » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:29 pm

yea i think i may need to give some suppliments a go..
i get like that most days when you feel you can't do anything you're so tired, but if i make myself get up and walk around and have a drink or something i sometimes get a second wind. its just so bad i didnt know if that was part of the FM exhaustion possibly ME as Fluppy said or something else :-?
Anywho yay for chocolate indeed! I gave it up for lent last year.. never doing that again!! haha
xx
damnlemons
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems