Help..I've been to see Dr Google about back pain

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help..I've been to see Dr Google about back pain

Postby snowdrop » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi...Recently diagnosed with Fibro by a lovely G.P. who has now left...he so understood but now I feel alone so I went to see Dr Google for info on my back pain to see if it was normal with Fibro.It feels as though my rib cage is surrounded by muscles that tighten, burn and then hurt so much.I can release the pain by stretching but then as soon as I continue doing what I was doing (cooking, washing up) it all starts again...this is not a new symptom it has been steadily getting worse for a while.Amytriptaline helped alot but next G.P. took me off it and gave me Imipramine that dosn't work.Does anyone else have this sort of back pain....along with everything else that is..
snowdrop
UKFM Member

Re: Help..I've been to see Dr Google about back pain

Postby Pete » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:20 pm

hi snowdrop

First of all :welcome: to our fibro family there is alot of information on here for you to look though :-D

and to your question it sounds like you may have Costochondritis see link and it can be a part of fibro but always get this checked out with you GP then you might be able to get some treatment and if your new GP is not too helpful i would try and seek out another one in the practice and also talk to them and say the old drug worked a bit and the new one is not then let them decide what your next coarse of treatment maybe but often with us fibro's

we have to try many different types of drugs as as no-one type of drug works for all sadly so it will be trial and error for you till you get to treat your symptoms :-)
Anyway here is a link to what it could be but please get advise from your GP

Pete :-D :-D
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/fac ... dritis.htm

snowdrop wrote:Hi...Recently diagnosed with Fibro by a lovely G.P. who has now left...he so understood but now I feel alone so I went to see Dr Google for info on my back pain to see if it was normal with Fibro.It feels as though my rib cage is surrounded by muscles that tighten, burn and then hurt so much.I can release the pain by stretching but then as soon as I continue doing what I was doing (cooking, washing up) it all starts again...this is not a new symptom it has been steadily getting worse for a while.Amytriptaline helped alot but next G.P. took me off it and gave me Imipramine that dosn't work.Does anyone else have this sort of back pain....along with everything else that is..
A Good Laugh A Day Can take Your Pain Away :D
Pete
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:26 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary snowdrop :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

With how you've described the pain you're experiencing
snowdrop wrote:It feels as though my rib cage is surrounded by muscles that tighten, burn and then hurt so much.I can release the pain by stretching but then as soon as I continue doing what I was doing (cooking, washing up) it all starts again...

It may be due to a condition that is often associated with FM called Costchondritis It is an inflammation of the cartilage in and around the rib cage. The highlighted linky has more info about it. To see if it is this, or something else, you will need to see a GP, ideally a different one to the one who took you off the Amitriptyline and put you on Imipramine. At the same time, you could also see about going back on Amitriptyline, to see if a different GP will listen to you properly.

If it does turn out to be costo, the usual treatment for it tends to be anti~inflamms such as Ibuprofen.

Hope you can some easings in things soon :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby snowdrop » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:51 pm

Thankyou for your advice but it is only in my back and has been getting wose over months.I did read the link but it seems to be more about chest pain and short lived.I did mention it at the Drs and all he said was '' Fibro does affect muscles.''I am so tired of the pain everywhere Ijust want some relieve..I wanted someone to say ...yes I know what that pain is like... so I could feel less alone..maybe it's not fibro and there is no end..some how knowing what it is helps you can just take a deep breath and cope
snowdrop
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:38 pm

Back pain can be related to FM snowdrop, but it can also be due to other problems such as disc problems etc. You still need to go and see a GP about it tho so they can hopefully start things off so you can get some answers.

With costo, the pain can feel that it is affecting your back with how it radiates out, so it may still be a possible problem. And with you describing it yourself as
snowdrop wrote:It feels as though my rib cage is surrounded by muscles that tighten, burn and then hurt so much.I can release the pain by stretching but then as soon as I continue doing what I was doing (cooking, washing up) it all starts again...this is not a new symptom it has been steadily getting worse for a while

That was what led both myself and Pete to have the very similar thoughts that we posted. For some, costo can lurk around for a long, long time, flaring up at random times.

As I said at the start of this post, back pain can be related to FM, and is something that affects pretty much all of us at some point along the way, so you're not alone with this as we all understand how it can drag you down and make you feel.

Maybe a bit of twiddling about dosage wise with your current meds, or the addition of something new, or even a change to something else may be what is needed to make you feel a little more comfortable. You could also try applying something such as heat or cold to the affected area to see if it helps, or something like a gel rub applied could help.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dianne70 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:24 pm

hi Snowdrop
i also suffer from the pain you mentioned snowdrop wrote:
It feels as though my rib cage is surrounded by muscles that tighten, burn and then hurt so much.I can release the pain by stretching but then as soon as I continue doing what I was doing (cooking, washing up) it all starts again...this is not a new symptom it has been steadily getting worse for a while.
mine was diagnosed as costochondritis and im on nabumetone ,pregabling buprenorphine,sertraline with paracetomal inbetween.
keep changing doctors till you find one that takes you seriously or who is willing to do their reading up on fibro and its related issues.
gentle hugs :-)
dianne70
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems