bruxism (teeth grinding)

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

bruxism (teeth grinding)

Postby Karou » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been grinding / clenching my teeth since I was in my early twenties. Had a mouthguard done by a dentist once but that was years ago and because of the insurance I had through employer it didn't cost me anything. Then I moved, lost it and have used the ones you can get from boots. They do the job, however, they turn out to be weak. After a month I have to replace them because I've chewed threw both guards. :shock:

Quite expensive. I was wondering if anyone knows how much it would cost me (roughly) if I asked to get a new one from a dentist? I'm still only on ESA assessment rate, no other income. I've been hesitating because I get extremely panicky from just thinking about visiting a dentist but these things eat too much money. And without I get mean headaches, teeth and jaws hurt, cheeks go sore and my neck goes all weird.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do to prevent damage and pain?
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: bruxism (teeth grinding)

Postby denys » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Go and ask your dentist, some ESA rates mean you can claim free health care. I'm not sure whether it includes the assessment rate :?: :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:12 am

If your on ESA you should be able to get one mouthguard free a year. I must add that now you have to get a supporting letter from your GP with a TMJ diagnoses even tho the dentist can see it to be able to get long term NHS funding for this

If you need more then one done you have to pay and that is anything between £60-£85 :shock: :shock: well was last time i asked! may have gone up slightly since then!

I have regular guards and am due a new one as my year is up

I clench my teeth and my dentist knows i need a very thick guard done or im back and forth and spending money i just dont have.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Karou » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:34 am

Thanks denys and Lisa, I was hoping I'd be able to pay in small monthly amounts but the chance of getting help or maybe a free one sounds great. :-)

Still makes me feel bad as I got comments before like "you're just trying to get a free ride" from people I used to call friends but working on not to think like that. :oops:

The one I had was for the lower teeth and like plastic but stronger. Might explain why I bite through the boots ones, they only have a thin plastic with a gel like coating that you heat to make it fit.

Gonna head to my GP asap to ask for a letter. Might have to pay for a letter but if it helps for the future it's worth it imo.

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:49 pm

Iv learnt along the years to block out what people say as they dont understand what it like for us. We didnt choose to become unwell and unfit for work. Im sure we would jump at the chance to be fit and well and working and paying our way!...

So dont you worry.

Also iv noticed that people on workng tax credit can also get help towards dentist treatments so its not just for the unemployed.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby mary251 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!! I work in a dental practice and have bitten through 2 mouthguards in the last 2 months. The last one only lasted me 2 days!! Chipped a couple of teeth as well :-x

Advice wise, on the NHS, mouthguards are currently £214, unless you're entitled to free NHS dental treatment (certain benefits such as JSA, pension credit, and other certain income-related benefits will entitle you to free dental treatment - check the NHS website if you're unsure). Privately, the cost depends on your dentist. You can always ask at your next appointment, or make an appointment specifically for it if you prefer.

Bruxism can cause cheek-biting, tongue-biting, and TMJ (jaw) problems, not to mention the damage you can do to your teeth by chipping them or grinding them down. It's always worth getting a guard made. Just be sure to ask your dentist to make you a hard one, as most custom mouthguards are 3mm soft-medium plastic. If you find the hard one too difficult to sleep with, get two softer ones made, one for your upper jaw, one for your lower - the combined thickness and give in the material prevents them from being bitten through too easily!

Hope this helps.
Sometimes, there is simply not enough chocolate in the world...
mary251
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 pm

You're right Lisa, we didn't choose to be ill. :-) I'm gonna keep that in mind and maybe even work on a nice and calm way to say exactly that to the next person who makes a comment.

Thanks mary, I wrote a reminder about the mm and material in my little notebook with calendar. I take this thing with me wherever I go. Thing is , I forget I keep it in my handbag or forget to write down what I wanted to remember. :crazy: Working on that lol

Wow £200plus is a lot more than I thought. :shock: Worth it I'd say but I'm hoping I can get some help with the costs. I'm on income-related benefit so next time I see a dentist I'm going to ask. Gonna be brave and maybe even book especially for that. :yikes:

It seems to be quite common for us with Fibro to have this problem. Not that non-sufferers couldn't get it but I haven't actually met anyone.

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby Ruzin » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I had/have teeth grinding due to stress and was made a mouth guard by the dentist but I couldn't stand using it so I just put up with the pain when it comes on.
Please spay and neuter your pets.
Ruzin
UKFM Member

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:58 am

Yep I've a mouth guard somewhere too, mine is triggered by stress too so when I know my stress levels are too high I find it out and keep it to hand, I find it so uncomfortable though and it makes me gag for the first few mins of wearing it x

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby mary251 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:04 pm

Mouth guards can be uncomfortable I'm afraid.

Helen, is yours an upper or lower guard? I only ask because you mentioned gagging, which is usually associated with upper guards. If this is the case, get a lower made. You may find it easier to deal with.

Dystanygal, the only thing I'd say is that you may find you wear your teeth down or chip them if you grind a lot. Keep an eye on it, and try some relaxation techniques like meditation or something before bed.
Sometimes, there is simply not enough chocolate in the world...
mary251
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems