tinnitus / noise sensitivity or just something else altogeth

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

tinnitus / noise sensitivity or just something else altogeth

Postby Rayne » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Hello all !

I do hope im posting in the right place but ive been stumbling around on the internet for a while now and im just so confused !

Having been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for nearly a year now , ive slowly started to learn to live with the gazzillions of symptoms.

But today I notice what might be the strangest one yet !

I was sat in the living room with 2 of my friends , my sister and her 3 year old son. These guys come over all the time to look after me and I really dont know what I would do without them. But all of a sudden I started to hear a constant beeping in my left ear. At first I thought it was something electrical (because it sounded like the tones when you dial a number on a phone) but no one else could hear it. Then I realised that it only happened when there was sound!!! It just got progressively worse until all I could hear when anyone was talking was this beeping. Im now lying in a quiet room and it hasn't occurred again since the sounds stopped.

I must admit I found it all very overwhelming and started to panic which has made all my other symptoms flare up.
I thought it might have been tinnitus but everything ive read seems to indicate that is worse in quiet rooms , which is quite the opposite to what I experienced! I did however come across some articles that suggested noise sensitivity can accompany fibro.

Has anyone experienced this Morse code like beeping or ringing in their ears only when in a noisy area?

I dont want to have to avoid the people I care about because of these awful sounds!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Rayne x x x
Rayne
UKFM Newbie

Re: tinnitus / noise sensitivity or just something else alto

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:43 am

Hi there, I don't get the beeping but I do get an overload if there are too many different noises going on, ok sometimes that can be as little as the tv, kettle and one person talking, depending on how I am doing that day, it's like a sensory overload it's horrible, I find I'm also avoiding groups that will be in noisy places these days to avoid getting overloaded x

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:58 am

hi Rayne
1st :welcome:
2nd always get new symtoms checked out by GP

3rd it is common to accommodate FMS and can effect all senses (touch, taste, smell, visual, audible), from one at the time to all of them together

two different kinds:
1st "real","I think it is a sensory overload, where the brain lost the ability (mostly temporarily but can also be permanent) to properly filter out the inputs going in
example
being on a busy road but with all the people walking in different directions, cars buses cyclists etc doing the same, all the different noises they give away, the lights and windows in shops, the smells when passing a butcher or fishmonger etc
a "normal" brain will block out what is not needed,
but my brain being on that road (hopefully still in my head and not spread all over the pavement) is not able to differenciate between them properly,
example:
let in which info needs to come in, in order to prevent me froms danger (crossing the road) like being run over by a bus,
or filter out the number of passing buses (when I am not on a bus trip)

2nd "imagined
from time to time I smell things not there,
nobody else can smell them
on investigation (sniffing around the house etc) they seem to follow me around
not always plesant ones
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby BonnGayle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:24 pm

I have a constant tinnitus (although a high pitched white noise not a beep )and do struggle to hear when theres too many sounds its like they mush together and I cant seperate them this was originally put down to my rhinitis froma dust allergy but my nose ear doc now says both may be Fibro connected , maybe best to get it checked out .
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:46 am

I get the white noise from time to time, I went to bed with it last night :(, ohh I wonder if fm is the cause of my rhinitis as after 11 years they've still not found the cause even after e,n,t, appointments. Ty. X

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby Rayne » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:14 am

Hey guys ,

Thank you for all your responses ! After I posted my first message I went to bed, when I woke up it was no longer there! Huzzah !! I think im probably going to go and speak to my doctor about it any way!

Thank you all again , it's been a great comfort to hear your thoughts x x

Rayne
Rayne
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems