Decision on whether to have the flu jab?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Decision on whether to have the flu jab?

Postby oldsheep » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:59 pm

I live in London so have a high exposure to seasonal flu. Last winter I was ok, but the previous two I'd been very sick with flu or similar. Winter of 2010/11 I was seriously ill for a few weeks but made a complete recovery.
However years ago, when I first had CFS/fibro, I had a tetanus vaccination. It made me very ill for about 2 weeks and my immune response was wildly exaggerated (as if I'd had about 10 jabs all at once).
Since then I've avoided vaccines, especially as they are all adjuvanted (I think?). I've heard that this winter's flu is a nasty one, so am chewing over risks/benefits and wondered what you thought? GP is oblivious to any problems for fibro/CFS patients and I don't get any consultant or clinic help with my illness. Thanks for any info and thoughts.
oldsheep
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Re: Decision on whether to have the flu jab?

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm no clinician, but I was working for the NHS last year and so had the flu jab at work - didn't notice any worse symptoms and didn't get flu last Winter. I'm 47, so don't exactly have youthful energy on my side either
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Decision on whether to have the flu jab?

Postby PhoebeCat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:31 pm

I am 53 and have had the flu vaccine each year for the last 12 years due to being diabetic and I have never had any problems or side effects. I had a 24 hour cold/virus last winter and I could hardly move, I was in so much pain from the Fibro so I can only imagine how I would have been if I hadnt had the vaccine
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Re: Decision on whether to have the flu jab?

Postby a.lyndon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi,

I'm 44 and had the flu injection as I work for the NHS. I haven't had any problems with it at all. I'd say go for it as you don't need flu on top of the Fibro. You already have enough to cope with.

Ally
a.lyndon
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:08 am
Location: Worcestershire

Re: Decision on whether to have the flu jab?

Postby denys » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:42 pm

I have the vaccine due to diabetes and have done for the last 10 years or so, I had the flu previously and was floored by it so the decision wasnt a hard one for me. Since having it I havent suffered any side effects apart from a bit of swelling at the injection site and it being a bit hot, and havent had the flu either. So my advice would be to go for it, the flu vaccine will NOT give you the flu and could really save your life
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
User avatar
denys
UKFM Veteran
 
Posts: 11901
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Decision on whether to have the flu jab?

Postby Tracie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:01 am

I have it every year one because I care for my husband and two I have epilepsy,I have had it about a month ago and never been so unwell,and never had a problem all time been having it,I have had a cold of four weeks,one day I feel ok but in my head next sneezing head off shivering,think my mistake was tried to get rid of it to quick and it' is back with a vengeance,I will not atop having it my advice would be to have it.
Tracie
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:04 am


Return to Associated and Other Health Problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests