Anyone know about bi-polar?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone know about bi-polar?

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:38 pm

This isn't about me and it's not FM related, but I'm hoping someone on here might be able to help out a bit. I have a friend who has been quite bad with depression for some months now and is being treated by a forces doctor (ineffectively so far), not a GP, for what they think is work related depression. Friend is becoming in my opinion increasingly irrational, and I am starting to suspect bi-polar rather than clinical depression, judging by what I read online about the symptoms of bi-polar. I can't ask amongst my friends for advice as this friend is on ALL of my social media and would doubtless guess who I'm talking about. Can anyone tell me from their own experience of themselves, family, or friends, what the typical behaviours of an unmedicated bi-polar sufferer are? I don't want to wade in and suggest to this friend that this might be their problem until I am very sure, as they are already paranoid and also very resistant to advice on how to go about dealing with doctors, despite being given the same advice by several friends who have or have had depression themselves.

Thanks - hope the mods don't mind me posting something that isn't strictly FM related - I just don't know who else to ask and I am desperate to get my friend some help.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: Anyone know about bi-polar?

Postby whoami » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:14 pm

My hubby is bi polar.

Trying to diagnose this illness or suggest that someone has it is for a professional. Please don't go by what you read on sites, as the symptoms of bi-polar vary from patient to patient. It is a very complex illness with many levels.

I can only say that from my experience watching my hubby without meds he is either on a very high level of anxiety. He rushes to have everything perfectly done the right way. His impulsive behaviour is high. Then all of a sudden he goes into a deep depression, sleeping all the time and seemingly angry.

If you are concerned about your friend, try gently to encourage him/her to see a Dr. My hubby came to this conclussion himself, he knew something was wrong.

As I said...this is a serious disease with mild or very dangerous symptoms that only a Dr should be trying to diagnose. Saying to your friend you think he/she is bi polar could be the wrong thing to do. Unless you have medical training to diagnose the illness you could make things worse.

Your friend may not be bi-polar and could have other issues.

Everyone who suffers from depression presents different symptoms. Bi-polar is a type of clinical depression. If your friend is not feeling he/she is getting proper care then he/she needs to seek out another psychologist.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:05 pm

I'm with whoami, saying to someone, even with the bestest of intentions, that you suspect they could be bi~polar, or be dealing with some other form of mental health could bring about all sorts of repercussions, incl the spoiling, even ruining of the friendship/relationship.

This area brings out a multitude of responses and reactions in people, and you have said yourself that:
SchroedingersCat wrote: as they are already paranoid and also very resistant to advice on how to go about dealing with doctors, despite being given the same advice by several friends who have or have had depression themselves.

I was dx'd with depression not long after being dx'd with FM, and over the years, I have experienced the symptoms you have mentioned your friend is showing, incl similar extremes associated with bi~polar disorder, ie. crushing depression, overactive~anxious mania~type moods and what resembled rapid cycling. However, when the possibility of bi~polar disorder was raised, I was told by the therapist I saw that, whilst it is usually associated with bi~polar disorder, these behaviours can also seem to appear in someone who is depressed, and it is usually by assessment, along with patient history, that differences can be found to help determine which dx could apply.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:19 pm

Sorry but I have to totally agree with the others, the mind is a very complex thing and only properly trained professional people should give out diagnosis. I have suffered with depression and at times it has been pretty bad, I was a nightmare as I was totally against being told what was wrong with me, completely paranoid (especially at work :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: ) and it took till I was on the verge of a breakdown for me to finally give in, get proper treatment and start the long road back to recovery.

Please dont say anything to your friend about your worries, if I were you I would just give gentle encouragement to see the doc again and if she isnt happy with her treatment, then maybe advise her to seek another GP
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks - I guess you're right, and I've not said anything along those lines at all, it's just worrying me that the forces doc is not seeing what I'm seeing because my friend is lying to him. I'm hoping a move to a civvy GP that is planned soon will make a difference - the meds aren't working, if anything they've made things worse, and there's no offer of counselling or anything useful like that. My friend is hundreds of miles away and I'm just so frustrated that I can't help. I can't call because there's a phone phobia in there too, so our only interaction is online, and all I'm hearing is excuses about why the docs can't help - "I'm stupid, I'm worthless, there are people much worse off than me, I'm wasting their time, I can't talk about this, I'm too scared....."If I were closer, I could arrange a kidnap and drive to GP myself, but I can't and the only mutual friends who are geographically close enough to help are too self-absorbed and selfish to think of it even when prompted. I'm just terribly worried that there is a real risk of suicide or at least self-harm here, and there is NOTHING I can do to prevent it :(
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Remember you are hundreds of miles away. You only get to hear what your friend wants you to.

A trained Dr can see more of what is really going on than we can. We are not educated enough to be able to make any type of assessment.

To say things like kidnapping and taking him to another GP is not the answer. It is your friend who needs to make the decision to see someone else. If you don't think he is capable of making that decision, I am sure his present Dr can see that in him.

If you are concerned that your friend is suicidal and going to take action , then you should call the police. Our nephew said he was going to go and sit on the tracks. Right after he left we called the police.

It is wonderful that you care so much about your friend. I question why others are not concerned. Does your friend have family who you could call? If any type of intervention is needed, I would think it is their place to take that position and talk to either him or his Dr.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Yep, currently staying with mum and sister. It would seem the lies are so good that the family have no idea of how bad things are.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems