confused about difference between CFS and M.E?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

confused about difference between CFS and M.E?

Postby Wackers34 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 pm

I believe I have CFS along with my fibromyalgia, as have all the symptoms of CFS...though I am confused as to when it becomes ME? I know some people who have M.E have CFS also, but how does a doctor know whether you have CFS or M.E?

I found the following info from a CFS forum resource centre and hadn't realised that they were separate conditions.

B. Similar Medical Conditions

A number of illnesses have been described that have a similar spectrum of symptoms to CFS. These include fibromyalgia syndrome, myalgic encephalomyelitis, neurasthenia, multiple chemical sensitivities, and chronic mononucleosis. Although these illnesses may present with a primary symptom other than fatigue, chronic fatigue is commonly associated with all of them.
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: confused about difference between CFS and M.E?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:20 pm

When I was dx'd with CFS, this Linky helped explain why CFS was used rather than ME (well in my case anyway.)

However, there are many variations on the ideas and theories relating to CFS/ME, from being 2 very distinct, separate conditions, thru to then being one and the same thing, with a bit of them being considered to be at different ends of the same spectrum being thrown in for good measure.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: confused about difference between CFS and M.E?

Postby Wackers34 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:53 pm

yeah thanks fluppypuffy, I saw this link before and its made me very confused...I have had MRI of brain and it showed no damage other than pineal cyst, no lesions etc...I also have had no seizures or headaches...I do get twitches and heart rate problems...plus unrelenting fatigue, I wonder if its fibro causing all these things as reading that link ME is actually quite rare, whereas fibro is very common...I do get the delayed malaise following exercise.

My friend, who has always had ME, said they are different things, but she has had a recent MRI and it found no damage.

I find it all so very confusing, i don't know why im so worried about it...I think im just going to tell people I have fibro and chronic fatigue along with this.

Only just realised your fluppypuffy, thought it was fluffypuppy for so long - it took me a while to understand it...sorry if i have been calling you fluffypuppy all this time ! lol
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems