Asthma

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Asthma

Postby Lisa21 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Can anyone help me :?: :-?

I have fibromyalgia and costochondritis and last week was diagnosed with Asthma after a horrible chest infection. Is there any similarities to Asthma and Costochondritis in terms of their symptoms as I am trying to take it all in and try to understand it.

Any advice would be great.
Fibromyalgia, Costochondritis, Hypermobility, Asthma, Crohn's Disease,PCOS, Vitamin D & B12 Deficiency
Lisa21
UKFM Member

Re: Asthma

Postby denys » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Asthma makes breathing difficult as you know which can result in pain round the rib area, but I always know its my asthma cos it feels like I'm drowning sorry cant be any more help
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby whoami » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Lisa.....Asthma is a disease that affects the airway.
Costochonditis is an inflamation of the cartlidge that attatches the ribs to the sternum.

I don't know a lot about Costochonditis but I have Asthma.
The only symptom that would be the same, would be being uncomfortable and a feeling of tightness.

Asthma is very common in people but symptoms can vary in degree.

Asthma causes difficulty in breathing due to obstruction of your airway. You can cough uncontrollably, wheeze and have a tightening feeling. The main symptom is trouble breathing.

Things that can trigger asthma...allergies, weeds, dust mite, bugs, food, animals etc Other causes, cold air, exercise, perfumes, chemicals to name a few.

Treatments... meds in the form of puffers. One that relieves an attack. It opens up the airway. Another also a puffer helps prevent further attacks.

The other condition is treated by rest, therapy, sometimes anti inflamatory meds and more severe with anti depressants and opiod meds

If you are concerned about the amount you know about your conditions make an appointment with your Dr and have a good talk with him.

gentle hugs!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Lisa21 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Thank you for your responses. I have an appointment with the Asthma nurse in the new year, and have been given some inhalers to try in the mean time.

I find it really difficult to understand which one is causing me so much discomfort. I think that it is probably both the Asthma and the Costochondritis reacting at the same time.

Any other info would be great from anyone! :-?

Thanks
Fibromyalgia, Costochondritis, Hypermobility, Asthma, Crohn's Disease,PCOS, Vitamin D & B12 Deficiency
Lisa21
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi there don't know if this will help but this is my experience lately of rib pain.

A few weeks ago I had a bad cold, it didn't go away and last week I had had enough of all the coughing and other ailments that went along with it, I went to the doctors and was diagnosed with a chest infection, I was given antibiotics and steroids to take for 5 days, I also have asthma and this was a bit out of control hence why was given the steroids.

After the 4th day of medication I actually felt even worse, my rib cage was in so much pain as was my chest and middle back and generally felt like I had been done in by a boxer.

I was told that the chest infection had cleared and that it was still the asthma that was a bit iffy, in regards to the chest/rib/back pain he explained that my body has become fatigued due to the constant wheezing and crazy cough and will feel more painful due to the fibro, this he explained once the cough becomes less troublesome the pain will subside. I have taken extra gabapentin today and have to say its far less painful than it has been and managing to cough without having to feel I have to hold and protect my ribs.

Take care..Di
Diane64
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems