Peppermint oil capsules for IBS

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Peppermint oil capsules for IBS

Postby JemmaB88 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:55 am

Morning all,

I hope everyone is OK. I haven't been on here for a little while as I am feeling quite well. This came as a surprise as I am off of all medications (we are trying for a baby). I have started to eat very healthily (boring but necessary) and exercising daily. This seems to be working along side 6 weekly visits to the chiropractor.

My IBS was pretty bad though. It was going from one extreme to the other and I have been getting very bad cramps with bloating. I started taking peppermint oil capsules about a month ago and they seem to be helping, along with the exercise. To begin with, I would have minty burps about 30 mins after taking them and that would be it, maybe a little bit of heart burn. Now however, within 10 minutes of taking it, I feel the urge to vomit. Its getting very bad, to the point where I don't want to take it any more. I feel light headed, nauseous and over production of saliva. After 15 minutes of this, it will go. It is very odd.

Does anyone else have problems taking it? I got them from Boots, and the pot has information about helping with digestive transit. It does not say if they are enteric though. I am guessing not if I am getting the mint taste in my mouth after a few minutes.

I would take colpermin if I could afford them! Seems silly to pay over £5 for 20 tablets when I can pay the same amount for 60 capsules. If the nausea doesn't stop, I might have to get a box of colpermin to try. I can't take my usual loperamide and buscopan concoction which has worked wonders for me for some time.

By the way I am not pregnant yet so the nausea is not morning sickness.

Thanks all and I hope we are all feeling OK during the festive build up!

Jem xxxxx
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Re: Peppermint oil capsules for IBS

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:04 am

Try drinking peppermint tea instead? It won't be as good a result but it should help a bit.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby JemmaB88 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:12 am

That's not a bad idea. I think I have some in the cupboard from a previous attempt. I will have a go tomorrow in place of the capsule.
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:51 am

eating a ginger biscuit may help with the nausea (same as if you were pregnant) ask the pharmacist for some advice :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Or you could see about Ginger Root capsules :yikes: :yikes: :alien: :alien: teenager has them as he often feels :puke: :puke: :puke: in the car and they help settle things down.

Double check that they will be OK for you tho :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LouLou » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:50 am

Hi Jemma

I was given peppermint capsules for my IBS when I had a really bad flare a few months ago. Nothing I did seemed to ease it but I was reallly stressed out at the time which didn't help.

I found the capsules really helped me and I didn't experience any bad side effects - just the minty burps lol.

I feel sick quite a lot of the time too so I eat a couple of ginger biscuits like denys said, or sometimes arrow root biscuits. If I haven't had time for breakfast or I'm feeling a bit off I'll nibble a couple and they help settle my stomach.

Also, you mention that you have made some changes to your diet? Maybe something isn't quite agreeing with you and this could be contributing to the IBS.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Woollydog » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:48 pm

I decided to try Colpermin some months ago, in a very stressful house move period, and they really helped with my lower IBS, but I got the horrid nausea after a couple of weeks, despite being on anti-nausea drugs for life! I lowered the dose to two instead of three a day, and read the directions carefully, which said not to take anywhere near the time of hot drinks or hot food, as it would dissolve the capsule in the upper gut and cause indigestion etc. I realised I had been doing this, and since I started to take more care, the symptoms have cleared up. If yours don't have an enteric coating, it may be a problem, and I know Colpermin are expensive. I get mine on prescription, and have free prescriptions due to underactive thyroid. You could get your thyroid checked, if you haven't already, as You would get free scrips for life if it's underactive, and it is common, I believe in FM patients. They have definitely improved one of my symptoms. Hope this helps xx
Woollydog
UKFM Newbie

Postby millymoodoo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi

I have crohnes disease and get a lot of bloating etc and the only thing that helps me instantly is wrigleys peppermint gum and I don't feel sick with it!!!! Peppermint cordial is another option drunk hot but I couldn't stomach that either. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Good luck
Milly :blowkiss:
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby trainer997 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:39 pm

I use peppermint tablets bought from a herbal remedies company in the Channel Islands, I take them before food and get no side effects. They help with the IBS and bloating, so may be worth a try.
trainer997
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems