been deignosed with dieabeties too

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

been deignosed with dieabeties too

Postby tammybl » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:44 pm

well went to gps last night she regiged my medicatioin to see if i can get some more relife from the pain medication, to then be told i am deiabetic im in need off some help i dont know where to start even thought i was in there a hour long and she gave me loads off information she had printed of for me and tryed her hardest to explaine it to me i cant remember half off what she said. she has put me on medication but i realy dont know where to start so if there is any bodythat can give me a idiots guide i would be so gratefull,

i realy should start taking someone with me cuz this fog is driving me mad
tammybl
UKFM Newbie

Re: been deignosed with dieabeties too

Postby whoami » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Tammy.....did your Dr refer you to the diabetic clinic? If not call back to your Dr's office and ask for the information when their weekly meetings are. I am not in the UK but my Aunt and Uncle have done a lot of work with the diabetic association and there is lots of info for you out there..

My hubby became diabetic almost 2 years ago. It is important for you to keep a record of your sugar levels while your meds are adjusting. Your morning number is the most important one.

If you did not get a tester from the Dr you will need one. If I remember correctly they are of no cost as well as the strips.

A lot of people you meet or you tell that you are newly diagnosed will offer conflicting info. That is why it is important for you to get your info from a clinic, GP or even your pharmacist. Your levels will be different to others as well as how you react to meds. Treat your diabetis as being unique, nobody is the same.

Our pharmacy runs a program that help with recording your levels etc. They may do that in the UK.

The test machines have changed over the years. The newer ones are compatible with your pc. You can load all the info there as the machine also keeps records.

Tammy, you will likely feel overwhelmed by all the info but if you get it all from a reliable source, your GP etc. You will be fine.

Lorraine x
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby bettyboop27 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:48 pm

I also have diabetes as well as fibro. My GP sent me on a one day DESMOND course for diabetics which was helpful, maybe you can ask for that. Don't worry we are here to help.
bettyboop27
UKFM Newbie

Postby zaininayah » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi Tammy

Im a type 2 diabetic also have celiac disease and fybromalgia. When I wss firdt told im a diabetic I paniked. I thaught thats it this is the end of me. Over time the more I learnt the better I felt. Its all about control. Regarding your diet all you need to do is eat a healthier diet. I was very over weight. I lost weight only because I stopped eating sugery stuff. If I really want dome thing sweet now then I do have it but a dmaller amout but I also will have a smaller meal if ive indulged.

Bascially I now think its a blessing. Sound weired doesn't it? But being diabetic has help me to live a healthier life style with regards to food. It will take time to settle with having this condition but please hun dont worry at all. I worried so much. I was so dcared thst in the begining I stopped eating and kept getting hypos. I take diabetes and celiac disease as a very positive thing. If you eat a healthy diet then you should not have any problems.

My dad often jokes with me and says. My nina is the lucky one. She saves money on sugar and her prescriptions are free. What more do u want nina.

Honestly babes take it easy. This is coming from a person who lost total control wen she found out shes a diabetic. You can register with diabetic.co.uk. lots of info there and ive got free testing machines from there twice. The strips I get as prescriptions from gp.
If there is anything you would like to know then message me.i will do my best to help. May gid bless you.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
zaininayah
UKFM Member

Postby zaininayah » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Tammy.
Eat three balanced meals a day. Have healthy snack in between.
Take your tablets according to gp advice.
Cinammon. Lemon. Green tea. Black tea.( Normal tea without milk) all help to control sugars.
I love Cinammon tea. I use a Cinammon stick by putting it in my dmall kettle and boil it. Ensure the kettle is only half full. Wen its boiled make tea as normal. Add sweetner if you want. I love the taste.
I will find out more stuff and let you know. Also the vegetable calked OKRA. Also known as lady fingers are brilliant for diabetes. You can just shallow fry and eat them. They sre slimy though if u emerce them in water. So wash and dry with a kitchen towel stright away.

Becarefull with carbs. Carbs can make your sugars very high.

I hope this helps.

I sincerely hope this helps.
zaininayah
UKFM Member

Postby tammybl » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:03 pm

thanks all for your time in answering my post

i have been refered to nurse first then the deabetic nurse will come after i have seen my normall nurse wants me to have the usuall dun flu jab weight and hight check ect, our surgery is so bizzy takes a little time to get an appointment, i am over weight put a lot on with the meds ive been on off late and unable to move with so much pain has been difficult.

i will have a look on the web site didnt know where to start, i need to get a diebetic machine skint till end off month ill have to trawll the net see what i can find

i think now ive had a day off eating and double thinking what i eat im not so scared, ill buld up my meds as doc said

i so appriciate you taking the time to read and post a reply loving this site has helped me so much over the last few days there is so much to read, xx
tammybl
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:59 pm

Tammy.....I am sure your machine is free and your strips may also be. When you get the visit from the nurse have a list of questions in regards to such things.

My uncle who took insulin from early childhood had a good laugh one day.....

He actually got a medal and a letter from the Queen for taking insulin for over 70 years. What a b****y joke he said.

He was however very active with the diabetic association up until his death, he raised thousands of pounds over the years and likely contributed a fair amount. He actually passed away at the regular thursday night meeting. Bless him.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby zappa20 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:33 pm

whoami wrote:Tammy.....I am sure your machine is free and your strips may also be. When you get the visit from the nurse have a list of questions in regards to such things.

Many health areas won't prescribe free sticks for type 2 diabetic control unfortunately, and often continuous care is provided by GP run clinics. Think it's because there's been a huge increase in type 2 numbers over past 15 years.

There is a very good uk diabetic forum which may be of help, has a section for those newly diagnosed, with loads of info.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby tammybl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:31 pm

thanks again for your replies not been on hear as i have been very poorly prob the worst i have been, and strudling with the dieabeties when you realy dont want to eat and u have to, i know i have read a few posts about bad throat but mine had felt like it was closed its hurt so bad just to have water and meads and my tonge was like sand paper it was that dry to touch ive had this a few times now its not nice. im thi8nking i may have to ask gp but to be honest i think she is sick off seeing me as to i am with seeing that place may try at chemist first just dont know what to do ????

now back to( the hang on ill remeber in a min this fibr fog is driving me insane ) :waiting: blood monitor i emailed all the companys on friday asking if they could do a payment sceam explaing what my finance situation was and within five mins i had a lady on phone saying the company was more than happy to give me one (bonus)but i must be in to sign for it (thats not a problem dont go anywhere) she also said im not to buy any off the excessories ie batterie strips ect just drop them an email and they will post to me what i need. just goes to show u if u dont ask u dont get. so as u can emagine was a happy buny
tammybl
UKFM Newbie

Postby lala1980 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:19 am

Hiya tammy"))))
Im type 1 diabetic and have just about being diagnose With fibromyalgia... anywhos it is a pain in the butt but once you get your head around it you will be able to control your diabetes I take it You must be diet controlled at the mo..?? you need to be looking at sugar and carbohydrates on food packages anything over 10g of sugar in a 100g is a no no... with carbohydrate anything under 50g in a 100g is ok.. u will have to cut out sweets nomal coke, any full sugar drinks. U can still have chocolate but im sorry as little as u can :( if u need anything plz get in touch take care hunny I know its pants it feels like its not one thing its another xxxx
If you smile then the world is a better place :-)
lala1980
UKFM Member

Postby tammybl » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi all i am on tablet for for my dieabeties.

i do have the blood machine now i emailed the companys that make them and they sent me one for free i can get the lances and strips of gp so dont have to pay for them either. still trying to get my levels down had a rough cupple off days dizzy spells being sick and a weird feeling off being spaced blood levels were at 8.2 - 9.2 just dont know what else i can do to change the readings and to bring them down, been and seen the nurse and she said im doing well as its still early days and to go back or phone to talk to her if worried.

i have changed my diet eathing brown rice, pasta and bread insted off white, i am now eating three meals a day with fruit inbetween.
tammybl
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems