Scared about surgery

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Scared about surgery

Postby Sue1968 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi folks, I'm writing on the day before surgery for tmjd arthroscopy, I'm going into hospital tomorrow morning at around 7.30am and I anticipate being there until Monday afternoon, to be honest, I'm actually scared stiff of having the after effects of surgery and the potential for having a flare up cos I can't take my meds to control it. Can any one help me on this??

Thanks
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Re: Scared about surgery

Postby whoami » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:51 pm

Sue....We can't say how you will react, however I can let you know how I managed through over 25 surgeries and fibro.

Sue....Make sure your Dr's and anesthesiologist knows all the meds you are on and your conditions. Your Dr's will manage your pain as well as they can. Be honest about how you feel but don't exagerate things or they will not be able to trat you properly. I am not suggesting you would but I am just going on everything Dr's have said to people at pre-ops

Sue...try to go into this relaxed. If you feel relaxed during the surgery you will recover better.

I am sure there will be some discomfort but they will help you. Nobody wants to see their patient in pain. I will be totally honest with you here, with all the surgeries I have had and they were major, I have never experienced any more pain or discomfort due to fibro. Only the discomfort expected with any surgery.

Sue, talk to your Dr and nurse when you are admitted and let them know you are anxious and concerned. They will help you.

Lorraine
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:46 pm

:fingerscrossed: for your surgery, hopefully the meds you get after surgery will prevent a flare, just be aware that it may take you longer to get on your feet, but if everyone knows you have fibro then things should be a little easier for you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Sue1968 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:14 am

Hi Lorraine, thank u for your advise, very much appreciated, I'll let you know how I go on, thank u again.
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby Sue1968 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:15 am

Hi deny thank u for your advise also, I feel much more prepared to go into this again I'll let u know how it goes

Thank u again
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:18 am

:goodluck1: Sue!

I hope the surgery is a success and you dont suffer with too much pain! :hugs:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Sue1968 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:30 am

Thank u Lisa , and I'm sure I'll b ok, just not the unknown, and everyone reacts differently as has already been said, I think I'm Going to be in until Monday or Tuesday and I've made it clear that I don't want to be discharged the next day. So all I can say is watch. This space.........

Sue
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:59 pm

I don't know if this will help you or not. Rose down the street works in one of the nearby hospitals in surgery. She said it is done her with day surgery. You go into hospital about 3 hours before surgery. After you are kept anywhere up to 5 hours post op, usually 3, then you go home the same day. Small incision. She said that recovery time is usually 2weeks at home.

It could be done completely different at your hospital but just thought I would let you know Rose said that they never have had any complications. When you go for your check up she said to ask your Dr if you can see the pictures of the joint and what they did. Personally, I always enjoy seeing what they did during my surgeries. Some Dr's will share some will not.

Lorraine.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi Sue :goodluck2: for tomorrow. Hopefully if you explain your worries staff will be able to put you mind at ease.
Feeling worried is a normal reaction to the unknown.
Treat yourself with love and care when you get home.
Sending :hugs: :hugs: some :flowers: :flowers: and a loan of my :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Sue1968 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi everyone,
Thank you for you advise, I'm home from hospital just under 2 hours, surgery went well, due to lack of jaw opening the anesthetist had to put a scope up my nose to guide the breathing tube into the correct place, I was knocked out before she did this as she gave me the premed I'd requested, I'm in quite a lot of discomfort, but it's controlled with tramadol 4 times a day for 1 week.

Ok need to get some shut eye as I'm sleepy from the anaesthetic, apologies if the post is not malign seance I can't see straight.

Sue1968
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:21 pm

Sue....hope things continue to go well. xx
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Hope you recover very soon and that you can see an improvement :-D
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby dotty lotty » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:43 pm

You'll be glad its all over :flowers: and :cake: when you can manage :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Sue1968 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:54 pm

Thanks every one, very spaced out still but I didn't have as bad a flare as I was expecting as I had several local injections as well, my consultant is fabulous! I see him in 3 weeks, but off work for 2 as my face is swollen, also I'm getting emmence stabbing pains if I put my head down to tie my laces for example, which then causes dizziness so that's really the only reason to stay off and to allow my fibro to come round.

I'll keep u posted

Sue1968
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Postby Sue1968 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:42 am

Hi folks,

An update.......well I have an infection, quite a bad one, on antibiotics, which haven't kicked in yet, I've tried to get an appointment with the GP without success! I'm due back to work on Friday(supposedly) but if I'm still in so much pain I'm definitely not going back! But when I had my stitches out on Friday the nurse told me my face was very swollen and very bruised still(after a week).

I'm sleeping an awful lot of the day, and I'm able to sleep thru the night also so it's clear my body is fighting infection so not really sure about what I should actually do.

Thanks folks

Sue
Sue1968
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems