Dry itchy eyes

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dry itchy eyes

Postby Tracie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Not sure if fibro related but my eyes are dry and itchy
Tracie
UKFM Member

Re: Dry itchy eyes

Postby Johafa » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi Tracie,

I'm not sure if it's related or not but I get that a lot too along with a burning sensation. Do you get it when you're more tired than usual? When I mentioned it to my GP, she just raised her shoulders and said it's probably my fibro acting up just as everything else that's wrong with me. :cry:

Good luck and gentle hug to you.
Johafa
UKFM Member

Postby Eyeballs » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi. My wife has been I'll for about 17 years with ME/CFS/FIBRO (who knows) and has a right side weakness and pain. One of the side effects of this coupled with oromorph/TAPENTADOL/diazepam etc is weak eye muscles and itchy eyes. Her vision changes often and she has had to change her glasses yearly. Her optician recommended over the counter eye drops Blink or similar for frequent use, which does help.
Eyeballs
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Tracie....I also would suggest you try a simple eye drop. Your pharmacist could help you choose the right one.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Smurfy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi Tracie, I also suffer with dry itchy eyes. My optician said the fibro can affect the eye muscles but it is often medication that causes dry eyes. Mine is worse with amitriptyline and i use viscotears, its a cheap over the counter eye gel which works better for me than drops :-D
Smurfy
UKFM Member

Postby Tracie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:11 pm

Not on any meds yet,am going to get some eye bath as not keep on drops or spray.
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:21 pm

I got an eye mask from my optician it had special seeds and things in it was a bit like a wheat bag, you heated it up and then had to lie with it on became to much of a fibble to manage in the end and I went for drops :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Carrie Nourse » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:26 am

Hi, my eyes get awful itchey and sore and my right eye is a little bloodshot now. When I rub my eyes they do feel bruised as well. I just use Otrivine eye drops which do help with the problem.
Carrie Nourse
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:19 am

Dry itchy eyes is a very common complaint for many people. It's not neccessarily Fibro causing it. Our warm double glazed centrally heated homes and workplaces and heavy use of PC's and iphones/ipads contribute to dry eye syndromes. A bowl of water sitting above a radiator can sometimes help put a bit of humidty back into a dry atmostphere.

As we get older our tear production capability can naturally diminish slightly , which can also cause dry eyes. Particularly around and after the menopause. So many things can change with that mind you , including a couple of wandering eyebrow hairs which end up growing out your chin. lol.

Eye drops or viscose tears as mentioned will help. As will when using a PC or Ipad screen over a long period , reminding yourself to keep blinking. I developed itchy eyelids last year along with the dry eyes and thought it was an allergy to an eye cream I was using, so stopped using it. Only for the Dermatoligist to advise it's dermatitis and to keep them well moisturised. Now I slap eye cream on morning and night as well as using blink single dose eye drops. I found the dispensing container for the viscose drops which are supposed to provide a longer lubrication time too difficult to operate.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Tracie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:43 pm

Only happend since my diagnosis of fibro,I was looking at prices of sprays and they are really expensive not that is a problem not keen on drops not to sure if can spray eyes,did look at eye bath that was cheaper,need to do something as gonna rip them out.
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:53 pm

Tracie....go and get some drops they work and quickly. Just get the plain ones...lubricant. You will feel so much better. The longer you leave them dry you could infect them from the constant rubbing.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Tracie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:06 pm

I got some thanks
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:37 pm

You can always get your optician to check them out for you
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Tracie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Drops have eased it a little
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby Tracie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:01 pm

Could scream,seen gp as walk in centre issued drops and told me to see gp while he was on leave another dr gave me some cream did not help well seen my gp tonight he will not give me anything,said it's not down to him he told me go opticians,so I did I am well up to date with tests and they do not give prescriptions out can only do a slip of recomendation of what to issue me then the dr will,as I am not due a test can not get anything tried stuff from chemist and not helping,I rang gp told them what was said but not had a call back,I did mention to lady that I have fibromylagia,what can I do as can't go till next feb like this.
Tracie
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems