Complex ptsd

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Complex ptsd

Postby positivethinker » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:10 pm

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of complex ptsd? I have recently been diagnosed with this after experiencing a life of emotional and physical pain and being treated for 'depression'. Finally, after intensive therapy I have a specific diagnosis (depression is such a blanket term) and I am only now starting to recognise how things from my childhood and early adulthood affect me event to this day. For those who don't know, complex ptsd is different from ptsd, but please do comment if you have ptsd too as I would be interested to hear from you also. Thank you.
positivethinker
UKFM Member

Re: Complex ptsd

Postby Tracie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:22 pm

I have PTSD am sure complex means repeated trauma
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby positivethinker » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:57 pm

In simple terms yes, you're right Tracie. Often from childhood experiences when abuse or neglect was ongoing for many years and also in some people who have had long term domestic violence. My fibromyalgia pain intensifies a thousand fold when I have flashbacks from my childhood so I know there is a very real connection between the emotional/mental trauma I went through and the physical symptoms I have today. I'm not saying one causes the other. I know there are genuine physical reasons for my FM, I am just saying that the cptsd makes it all much harder at times. It makes the burning pains intensify and the lethargy feel much worse. Hope you are coping well. Please share anything privately Tracie if you prefer.
positivethinker
UKFM Member

Postby Tracie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Are you on meds
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:46 pm

Sorry I have suffered with depression at different times but have not been diagnosed with PTSD or cPTSD I hope you get some help with things and it helps your FM :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby positivethinker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks Denys. We all have our own personal battles to fight alongside our Fibro.
Yes Tracie I am on 60mg of fluoxetine a day and I also have daily psychotherapy (Monday to Friday).
positivethinker
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Depression is one of my constant companions, but haven't had the PTSD or cPTSD labels added to my collection. I was struck with you saying
positivethinker wrote:In simple terms yes, you're right Tracie. Often from childhood experiences when abuse or neglect was ongoing for many years and also in some people who have had long term domestic violence. My fibromyalgia pain intensifies a thousand fold when I have flashbacks from my childhood so I know there is a very real connection between the emotional/mental trauma I went through and the physical symptoms I have today. I'm not saying one causes the other. I know there are genuine physical reasons for my FM, I am just saying that the cptsd makes it all much harder at times. It makes the burning pains intensify and the lethargy feel much worse. Hope you are coping well. Please share anything privately Tracie if you prefer.

As this is very much like something I experience when having to go over previous traumatic experiences. It's not something that has ever been mentioned to me during the various therapy sessions I've had over the years, but does make sense of how I feel/have felt during such times.

Thanks for that little nugget, you've helped settle a little corner of my mind to a degree :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Karou » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:15 am

I'vebeen diagnosed with depression when I was 25 and shortly after they've added BPD.

Things weren't easy in my childhood. Still struggling to let go and move on. What you said about flashbacks happens to me too.

I've had different forms of therapy till I was 28 but never heard about ptsd or cptsd.

I hope you get help and things will get better for you.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems