Hyperventilation Syndrome

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hyperventilation Syndrome

Postby PhoebeCat » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:07 pm

I went to the doctors today to see a different GP about the problems I am having with my head and dizzy spells etc. After telling him the problems I am having, he got me to take deep breaths, making me hyperventilate to see if the resulting symptoms were the same and I was surprised to find that they were so he told me I am suffering from Hyperventilation Syndrome! I have since tried to look it up on the internet but there isnt really anything that tells me more about it but what little I can find, sounds completely different to how I am before and during an attack. Does anyone else suffer from it or does anyone know anything about the condition? I'm not convinced that this is what is wrong with m, I just want to get to the bottom of it and find out what is causing my problems.
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Re: Hyperventilation Syndrome

Postby whoami » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:23 pm

Pheobe. Go back to your Dr and tell him that you don't think that the symptoms you have are what you found.

Did the Dr say how you treated. HS ? Did he just say that it was HS ? It seems odd that he would say you have something but not how to deal with it. I definitely would go and see him again.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby zappa20 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Are you often sort of anxious or stressed? sounds like your GP is putting your symptoms down to chronic anxiety which is causing you to unintentionally overbreathe, thus causing the symptoms you describe. You'll know yourself whethere that could fit or not. One thing I would ask, is how is your eating pattern. do you often miss meals or go a long time without food due to pain. lack of time etc? Low blood sugar doesn't just affect diabetics, and cause dizziness and the symptoms you describe. Which can then result in over ventilating as low blood sugar feelings can be quite scary.

I'd 2 sister in laws, who years ago started developing hyperventilation with bad panic attacks due to low blood sugars , 1 from not eating on overnight nursing shifts, the other usually after a night out on the tiles, as alchohol lowers blood sugars. Both fixed this problem with eating more regularly.

If none of above is relevant, only option is to go back and have another word with your GP.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:20 am

I agree, it seems odd that you were told what it is but not what to do to make you feel better.

If this GP seems unable to help, could you get a second opinion?

Hope you'll find out what to do to feel better soon.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby PhoebeCat » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 am

This is the third doctor I have seen about the same thing and all have told me something different. I was asked this time about anti depresants, which I already take,so he told me that when I feel it coming on, sit quietly and breathe in to a brown paper bag! Where do you get brown paper bags from these days? If I am out or at work do I say "sorry" to the customers, "I need to breathe in to my paper bag"? I need something more definite, more substantial. I just want it to go away....but I know its unlikely to. My daughter has now found somewhere, a long list of possible symptoms for Hyperventilation Syndrome and a lot are the same as Fibro!
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems