Chronic Sinusitis and Fibro

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Chronic Sinusitis and Fibro

Postby clairbear » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi Everyone!
:-D
I was wondering how many of us suffer with sinus infections or allergies?
I've woken up (well it woke me up at 4am) with a stinker of a sinus infection.

I take Fexofenadine and Nasonex every day, as well as my asthma inhalers as I have been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis, allergic rhinitis and Eustachian tube dysfunction. All of these diagnoses have occurred over the last 10 years and my ENT consultant loves using me as his teaching tool!
The Consultant doesn't really know what else to suggest, I don't want surgery as the success rates are low and the risk of injury elsewhere is high & I will not take "Sinus" sprays due to a bad rebound incident that left me ill for 4 weeks.
The consultant likened my fluid to being the consistency of treacle, if only it tasted that nice when coughing it all up!

Have any of you come across this and do you have any home remedies to try?
Are there any holistic or herbal supplements you know of or swear by? The only one I can't have is the hopi ear treatment as my eardrums can't cope with the pressure changes.

clairbear
UKFM Member

Re: Chronic Sinusitis and Fibro

Postby LouLou » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi clair

I suffer with my sinuses quite a lot especially during winter where it seems I am prone to every sniffle and sneeze going lol.

I too tried numerous sinus medications/sprays but found that nothing really truly helped me. The one thing I swear by is putting a drop or two of Olbass Oil into hot water with a towel over my head and breathing in and out for 15 minutes. I then blow my nose as hard as I can and that seems to help ease the pressure feeling I tend to feel at the top of my nose by my forehead.

I also use those cool strips you can get to stick on my forehead which I find helps the sinus headache much more than popping tablet after tablet. They can be a bit pricey when buying lots of packs so I cut one strip in half and stick them right at the part where my nose joins my forehead.

Other than that it's just one of those things I put up with.

Hope that helps
x
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby clairbear » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi Loulou,

I never thought of trying the cool strips to try and stifle the headache, might have a go with that.
I do tend to suffer with it behind my right eye so I could cut a patch to sit just below my eyebrow.
I do use olbas oil in a bowl of water too but it doesn't shift anything.
I'm going to see if you can still get those tealight burners my mum used to use when we were little that filled the air with vapour rub stuff!

I'll let you know what I find xx
clairbear
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:19 am

Hi clair

I hope your feeling a bit better, I know how annoying it is to suffer with sinuses. I'm sure I saw a while back some sort of olbas or menthol plug in you can get for the room or something that releases vapour?

I find my eyes can look quite puffy when my sinuses really flare up - I have often been asked if someone has hit me lol. Though I do swear by the olbas oil and bowl trick sometimes even this doesn't do very much to help shift things, but then again neither do the over the counter remedies.

Since using those patches though I have found the headaches much easer to bear so things don't feel so bad - sometimes for me it's the headache that causes me more grief than the actual sinuses.

If things really do get uncomfortable for you though may be worth getting checked out just to make sure. I've had to have cameras and all sorts inserted up my nose (not a pleasant experience and it made me cry afterwards) but my GP wanted to make sure things weren't so blocked that they were causing me any damage.

I know what you mean about wanting to try natural remedies though - I often feel like I'm popping tablets like sweets for many different things lol.

Good Luck and let me know if you manage to find anything that works.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems