Rib Pain

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rib Pain

Postby Twotone » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:37 pm

I have recently begun to experience really severe rib pain right down both sides, it is driving me to distraction, I work as a nurse and its becoming nigh impossible to carry out my duties, because of the fibromyalgia I only work 25 hrs a week but as I say that is beginning to be too much for me and the bills need to be paid, I've tried applying for benefits but was turned down, sorry for going on a bit but it helps sometimes. So if anyone has experienced this pain let me know. Thanks. Tony XX.
Twotone
UKFM Newbie

Re: Rib Pain

Postby fletch » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:03 pm

I get this pain Tony regularly and it literally decks me I cant even stand at the sink because the pain just gets worse and worse

I have not found anything that helps when I have this pain sorry
fletch
UKFM Member

Postby Denbev » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:09 pm

i thought i was on my own with having pain just under my ribs,but dont like going docs in case they think im a hypochondriac, but very uncomfortable +like u i cant afford not to work as cannot claim any benefits!! dont know how some people claim for years,sometimes i think we're the fools for trying to do the decent thing+work all our lives+keep pushing ourselves!! :-x :-x
Denbev
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:34 pm

There is an often~associated condition of FM, Costchondritis, that causes pain in and around the rib area. It's due to the cartlege in and around the rib cage becoming inflamed. To see if costo is the reason for what you're experiencing, a trip to the GP will be necessary. If costo is responsible, it tends to be managed/treated with anti~inflammatory meds.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby lilissa1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:52 pm

I was told 9 years ago I had costachondritis and its a bi**h then 3 months ago I was told I had fybromyalgia and was takig off my anti inflammatory meds and put on pain meds
lilissa1
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:26 pm

lilissa1 wrote:I was told 9 years ago I had costachondritis and its a bi**h then 3 months ago I was told I had fybromyalgia and was takig off my anti inflammatory meds and put on pain meds

It is possible to have both conditions alongside each other. If you feel your costo is flaring, then you may need to go back an see your GP about starting them again. Whilst primarily used for reducing inflammation, anti~inflams can also provide a degree of pain relief.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby fibrofogger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:01 am

I have had this excruciating pain for the last 12 years, I first noticed it after the birth of my daughter. The more I exerted myself the more severe it got. After having an ultrasound I was advised of having small Gallstones, which came as no surprise as I already had High Cholesterol & was taking (Atorvastatin) I then started to suffer with Esophagitis (When the food sticks in your throat when you swallow it) After taking (Omeprazole) It did ease the pain but it would flare up again once I did too much.

I am also an IBS sufferer & I take (Buscopan) for my intestinal spasms, It was only when I saw a new doctor & she tested me for Helicobacter Pylori (A bacterium that causes chronic inflammation of the inner lining of the stomach) I had to take 2 courses of antibiotics & again the (Omeprazole) I then saw my symptoms become more manageable. I still have the stabbing pain in my neck & shoulder blades but we think this is fibro related, You would have thought that the (Tramadol & Gabapentin) may have helped but sadly not.

Hope this may help & soft hugs <3
fibrofogger
UKFM Newbie

Postby nikkinoo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:56 am

I also get this pain, and it is horrible.

I went to the doctors and was told it is the cartilage that's inflamed, I wasn't given anything for it and that was the end of it...
I get it often and can actually feel the ribs that are inflamed, its like a lump that's sore to touch, not nice.
I have to be careful when it comes to anti-inflams as I have chronic kidney disease with limited function.

I have found a warm but light compress helps a little.

x
Before you assume, learn the facts... Before you judge, understand why... Before you hurt someone, feel... Before you speak, think... This is my message to all who do not take the time to understand what we go through.
nikkinoo
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 pm

Rib pain is one of my major symptoms that dibilitate me each day.

Its got that bad over the years iv gone to A&E as it causes breathing difficaulties also.

The tips i can give you are :

Eat little and often: This is because any bloating will cause pain around the ribs, i have found a low carb diet helps control the bloating which in turn helps the pain.

Breathing/relaxation exercises: The diaghram gets tight also so helping to relax and breathe helps the pain. I found having a hot shower flow on my front chest as im breathing in and out whist massaging the chest helped.

Massage/Physio: I have trigger point therapy and my physio gets me on my side and stretches the rib muscles plus works on my front chest wall as its like a band that wraps around you. Massage is a lighter form which can also help relax muscles and stop the squeezing.

Inhalor: I found having an inhalor usefull when i feel tight and being "squeezed" as the rib pain tends to effect my breathing.

Freeze Gel: Now out of both heat/freeze gel i found the freeze gel more of benefit. You can rub this around the ribs and front chest.

Anti-inflammitries: These are supposed to help although i didnt find them much useful. But combine these with the gel and it helps.

Pain Killers: On top of all of the above you can also take some pain killers like codiene to help (seek GP advice)

Spasmonal: May also come under a different brand name. This medication is mainly for IBS as it relaxes the stomach muscles. I found they really helped me with my rib pain as it tends to tighten the chest/diaghram and stomach muscles like a band and these relax the stomach helpin pain and breathing. Again seek advice with GP but you can normally take these with most meds.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Kyomii » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:21 pm

What benefits have you applied for? As you are working, you will be limited to working tax credit benefits.

If you mean you have applied for DLA/PIP - this can be difficult to get.

ESA is really an out of work benefit, you will be refused this if you are working 25 hrs a week. While some can do "permitted work" while on ESA, your work has to be less than 16 hours a week.

If you get to the stage where you cannot work, then you can claim benefits you may have been refused while working.
Kyomii
UKFM Member

Postby LizzyMac » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:25 am

I get very bad rib pain, much much more on the left side than the right, although I've had it in both. Sometimes it's so bad I can't even lay on my side. Ugh... sorry you're going through that!
LizzyMac
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems