MIND

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

MIND

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:08 am

With Mental Health being hugely effected with living with Fibromyalgia i wanted to tell you about MIND.

I walked into the MIND centre in the next town to me and spent over an hour chatting to the volunteers.

I was greeted by a lovely man whom was a volunteer and sufferers from Paranoid Schizophrinia and M.E. His M.E is nearly in remission.

He said he had lost everything to M.E, he had a luxury home, wife, kids, great job and then M.E just struck him down for over 5years and was completely bedbound.

He was that bad he contemplated sucicide many times. Hes nearly recovered now and he says taking a combination of magnesium and calcium helps.

As this man was opening up about his life and how he became a volunteer it spurred me on to also let go and talk about my anxiety and mental health.

He called for another volunteer and she was just as nice and welcoming.

They have a time table of events for the week.

They do free counselling, computerised CBT with a psychologist. The also run courses on :

Anger Management
Stress management
Anxiety
Depression
A few others.

They do meditation, have a gym as they believe exercise can help some people, have regular meet ups where you can make friends. Have group therapies also.

On top of this they have things like guitar lessons

They are also now connected with the towns mental health team so they report anything that needs addressing for example: If someone they feel needs urgant attention they will let them know or if someone feels they were let down and not given any proper support etc...

You can drop in any time any day and they say of you feel you cannot cope/feel suicidal or just need someone to listen then there always there just pop in and see them and someone will come to your aid.

I felt very at ease and comfotable and as they said "where all in the same boat"

The lady did mention that one of there problems is anxiety sufferes as they cannot get to MIND with many being anxious about being out of there comfort zone/have social phobia so there working on a way round this.

She also asked me if i could help her with some advice about a man shes tryin to help who has severe chronic pain (i had mentioned i mod a chronic pain forum and also a sufferer myself) from nerve damage and she didnt know how to help as the pain clinic didnt have much to offer him.

I could only offer little advice and mentioned that normally the pain clinic would send him on a course or CBT on how to cope/manage symptoms. There isnt enough support for people with chronic pain around the area so there getting alot of chronic pain sufferers through the door.

The Mental Health team are so busy that many people have to wait months to be seen and assessed so this drop in centre has become peoples life line and somewhere to get support until there appointment arrives.

Now all i have to do is work up the courage to attend some sessions. I suffer anxiety and was only out and about as i had a freind with me and my mum took me over there by car. Going alone is another thing in itself ! :yikes: i will have to fight my own demons for that one but really do want to attend some therapies etc...

There are many MINDs around the UK see here http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/local-minds/

Im not sure if they offer as many services as the one i went to but well worth looking into if you feel this maybe of benefit for you...
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: MIND

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:40 am

MIND is one of the charities that we try to support whenever possible :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

It's good to hear about some who's ME is close to being in remission, it helps keep that hope alight that something similar could happen for us as well :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

The closest MIND to where I am is about 9 miles away, so I have a bit of a similar situation to you Lisa.....the purple anxiety minions deciding to run amok when I try and plan how I could face them, challenge them, and squash them to be able to make the journey over there and take that first step thru their door :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

They're on my list of things I need to get behaving more suitably. When I seem to get one of them acting a bit more civilly tho, there are hordes more of them rushing in to fill the gaps :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Storm » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:46 am

They turned me away when I told them I have BPD and wanted some support. I was devastated. I won't support them ever again. :(
Storm
UKFM Member

Postby Lisalou » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:04 am

They should never of done that storm. They are a mental health charity! I hope you get some support that you wish for. X x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Lisalou
UKFM Member

Postby Storm » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:17 am

Indeed, I turned to them at a time of crisis because I had nowhere else to turn. I've had bad experiences with The Samaritans, therapists, GP's, crisis lines linked to mental health hospitals, etc. and I gave MIND a try. Horrible, horrible experience :(
Storm
UKFM Member

Postby Lisalou » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:27 am

That's such a shame. Like most mental health services they have not enough staff to be able to do what they need to do.

Have you got support now? X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Lisalou
UKFM Member

Postby MikH-D » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:27 am

Mind wanted to charge me £30 a session, it's the only mental health support in my area as docs won't provide, I rather stay a lil nutty than spend £30 a week on mental health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikH-D
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:14 pm

oh dear seems like a difference in area might affect the support offered. Lisa so glad you had a positive experience and hopefully some others will too, I know we have drop in centres for MIND too and I've never heard anyone say they were charged or were turned away. So sad that some people cant get the support that others can, Storm have you spoken to your GP about your experience maybe they can offer you some advice as to where you could get support :?: :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems