Gall bladder surgery

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gall bladder surgery

Postby Ria Landon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:24 pm

I had a laparoscopic gall bladder operation on Thursday and thought I would be up and about and home the same day like all the doctors say you will be. BUT it was horrendous and I am still in absolute agony, never known pain like it, taking zomorph, co codomol and Oramorph every 4 hours but doesn't even touch it. Yes I have pain form the operation incisions but my back/rib cage pain is worse than Ive ever known it. Why cant these professionals just be honest with us and prepare us for it. I'm not sure if I would have had this done if I knew it was going to be this bad. just found this link and although I'm sorry for others who have suffered, it is reassuring to know 'its not just me.' I just think its awful that my gp, surgeon the nurses etc are not giving us this info or indeed giving us the correct care. I just could not get put of bed and get up and about like everyone else easily did who had the same procedure and I had to spend a night in hospital but they made me feel so guulty for taking up a bed.

Really struggling :-(

http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2011/ ... yalgia.htm
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Re: Gall bladder surgery

Postby whoami » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Ria.....I am sorry you have so much pain. All I can say is I have had lots, Lots of surgery. I had Laproscopic surgery once and that was enough. I had so much unbearable pain. I am not sure if it is a combo of fibro and IBS but I did not tolerate my body being filled with gas. I have had well over 20 incisions and with no more than the expected discomfort. My surgeons know and it is on my chart...no laproscopy.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby zappa20 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:53 am

Think everyone is different to be honest. I'd my gall bladder out in 2009 and had absolutley no pain whatsoever from the laparoscopy. And refused any painkillers offered. Was sitting up talking to vistors 1 and 1/2 hours after coming back onto the ward. And would have went home that night , if they'd allowed me to. Would have been better as they messed up my insulin requirements and I left the hospital with a blood sugar reading of 24 (instead of 6) and high level of ketones.

Only problem I had was for some reason considering the laparoscopy method is supposed to be 'bloodless' compared to traditional removal surgery for some reason my haemoglobin level dropped 3 levels from the day prior to day after the operation.. They'd had problems finding a match for my blood despite taking 4 blood samples for cross matching, due to some antibody I have. Because I was already anaemic was left feeling very tired for a few weeks. But pain free.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:01 am

Zappa20...I am glad your surgery went well.

The laproscopy I had was for another surgery. My gall bladder was removed with the traditional from sternum across to your back incision. I was up and about a couple of hours after. I was kept for a few days because it had been an emergency surgery because it had burst. I was getting heavy duty antibiotics through iv.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Ria Landon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:05 pm

Thank you for replies. Just goes to show how different we all are which is something the so called professionals really need to take into consideration. All they did was give me information leaflets regarding how surgery should affect you and how 'normally' people can start to do things. It's not helpful when it doesn't work out like that for you and as well as being in excruciating pain you have to contend with so called professionals making you feel even worse. It just made me incredibly anxious thinking there must be something else wrong with me and guilty because I didn't cope with the surgery like i was supposed to. The only one who showed any compassion at all was my actual surgeon who came to see me twice and although he didn't know much about fibromyalgia was very reassuring and understanding.

Im sorry to go on, I'm just still shocked at how this has all turned out and although I do have supportive family and friends, they really don't understand....well I don't either so have no hope of explaining it to them. All they know is that the vibrant, confident, bubbly Ria they used to know has disappeared into an unrecognisable shadow of he former self. And worse of all, despite so many attempts trying different medications, treatments etc to get better, it all just seems to get worse.

I'm sorry to sound so depressing, just sounding off really, thanks for listening x
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Ria....you are certainly not depressing, you are just telling us exactly how you feel . Don't ever feel that you have to apologize for telling anyone how you are. We will always listen.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:17 am

Ria dont worry you arent that unusual, my daughter and my nephew both had their gallbladders taken out using the same method you had and they both suffered terribly afterwards for a good couple of weeks, my daughters surgeon told her exactly how she would feel and he wasnt wrong.

I hope you start to feel better soon, the best advice I would give is to be kind to yourself and dont try to rush things, give yourself time to get over it and rest as much as you possibly can
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby coral » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:03 am

I had my gall bladder removed in August 2009 (due to an extremely large stone). Had keyhole surgery, in and out same day. 1 month after operation same pain I had before I had gall bladder removed. Dr said give it time to settle down and sent me home with strong pain killers. Pain just got worse and worse, visit's to Dr about twice a week. Had scans, cameras, x-rays, M.R.I, blood tests, nothing showed up. This went on for over 2 years but by now the pain had spread everywhere. After getting no answered I did my own research and came up with Fibromyalgia. Suggested this to Dr who said he thought I had a touch of it and put me on amitriptyline. I ended up paying privately to see a Rheumy and he said I definitely had it after doing the tender point test.

It will be 5 years this August since the gall bladder removal. I still have pain underneath my right ribs going through to my back. Before the operation I only took the odd pain killer. Now I take about 15 tablets a day. Yes I had gall bladder pain but nothing compared to the pain I've been in since they took it out. There was no follow up from the hospital at all. I don't know if its scarring that is the cause of it but I have read on a few sites that Fibromyalgia is worse after surgery.
coral
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi Ria,

Sorry to hear you're struggling. :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :hugs: :hugs:

When my gallbladder was removed in 2011 after 6 months of suffering, I was told most people could go back to work after 3 weeks. I'd never hadany surgery before and I was panicking due to having to be put out. My mum and aunt stopped breathing when they needed ( different) surgery so I thought what if I die there.

Anyways, the surgery itself was fine, I even woke up with a big grin on my face because the cause of horrendous pains had been removed. Peoplearound me were already awake and eating, chatting, etc which I found strange sinceI had been the first one to go in but I didn't think much more of it. Took me forever before I was able to sit, I kept falling asleep again. And then the pain from the incisions and nauseakicked in.

They gave me something for both, I managed an egg sandwich and a tea and left as the last one. Sometimes I regret having this surgery because I believe it's where Fibro decided to show its ugly, mean face and invade. After 2 months I forced myself back to work as I had started a new job. Only to crawl back to the GP. My back and stomach hurt like crazy, I thought it's from the surgery as my inflammation levels were slightly raised. They went down after antibiotics but the pain stayed and found new places to attack. Oh and then there was the embarrassment of needing the toilet more often, sometimes even when there wasn't one available which causedmore pain, more stress.

It took me about a year to get answers I think (bad memory) but afterall the tests came back negative I was crying at the doctor's because I thought they're gonna say it's in my head. Thankfully he didn't but he had to tell me there's not much he can do to help because it's Fibro.

So...yeah I think it would be great if doctors would stop thinking of people as all the same (I know some don't but it doesn't seem enough). Technically we are but there's more to humans than just the same organs, etc. Everyone reacts different to certain things that happen in life. :-|

Oh and I just remembered that my GP put me on tramadol after surgery (I was on cocodamol) because he said sometimes people can be sensitive to codeine after gallbladder removal and this seems to be the case with me as I will getthe same pressure I used to get before an attack if I take anything with codeine. Maybe I'm a bit weird lol :crazy:

Try and get plenty of rest and please listen to your body. You'll know what's best for you and just because a leaflet says you'll be running around after x days that might not be ideal for you. If you're worried, maybe phone your GP?
I hope you'll feel better soon and the pain gets more manageable.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby Ria Landon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi everyone

Thank you for your replies and sharing your experiences. It sounds awful to say it because I would never wish anyone to suffer but there is so much reassurance when you know you are not the only one

The pain from my gall bladder operation got worse and worse and I ended up back in hospital for 5 days with a nasty infection underneath the incision site. I cannot begin to tell you how miserable I feel. I am still in pain from the operation 12 days later and the fibro is worse than ever. I guess with fibro my body just cannot cope with the trauma. I'm still sleeping a lot too but so glad to be home from hospital

Once again, thank you to everyone for your kind words and encouragement

Much love Ria x
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Ria, I am sorry to hear about your infection. I have had well over 20 operations and on the 3rd day on every one the incision breaks open and is infected.
I am guessing now that the added pain was not because of the actual surgery. In other words you may not have had quite the responce with pain if not for the infection.

I am sorry your fibro has kicked in. You are worn out. You need to rest as much as you can.

I am curious, what did they do for the infection? Are the nurses coming to the house to pack your incision? With having the laproscopy it should not take long to close.

Like I said before, in all my surgeries I have only had the scope once and refuse it when suggested. My one Dr thinks that it could be that the gas inserted is what gave me the severe pain. With the fibro and IBS my insides just didn't like that extra pressure. The normal incision surgery has never given me an increase with fibro.

Take care hun x
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems