Fibro and Vitamin D deficiency

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and Vitamin D deficiency

Postby clairbear » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi everyone,

:grouphug:

Well today I have been back to the G.P for a follow up and to have a bit more of a "whine" about my symptoms.
I say whine because that's how it feels, I sit down and list of all the ailments I can remember in my allotted 10 mintues!
My Rheumatology Consultant has sent an amendment to his last letter to note that my blood results have come back with a severe Vitamin D deficiency and borderline Gout.

They're not going to do anything about the Gout other than advise on dietary changes. I have malabsorption issues following the removal of a damaged gallbladder in 2011.
Despite "oscopies" in every orifice :shock: they have only come back with a hernia and slow emptying of the stomach (It either sits there too long or shifts quicker than I have time to eat it lol).
I've opted to not go on bile reducing tablets as the counteract many other drugs I need on a daily basis.

The GP has now put me on a heavy dose of Vitamin D for the next 2 months and I have to go back for bloods etc in a month so they can decide how to manage it. I did suggest a prescription for 2 weeks in Egypt to get some sunshine but apparently my surgeries budget can't stretch that far! 8-)

I know there is some mystery around whether the deficiency is linked to Fibro?
Mine could be due to my absorption issues or the fact I haven't seen sunshine in what feels like forever or Fibro; the Dr said I'm a medical jack in the box, illnesses just keep popping out of the woodwork every time we try to treat something else!

I wonder whether anyone else takes vitamin D, either as a supplement or on Drs orders? Does it help?
Should I suggest a move somewhere hot to my partner ;-)

Let me know your thoughts and/or experiences, it's a comfort to know others are going through the same.
Clair xx
clairbear
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro and Vitamin D deficiency

Postby denys » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:21 am

Quite a lot of members seem to suffer from a vit D deficiency but whether its linked to fibro isnt proven as most of us seem to suffer from other conditions along side FM. Maybe a change in scenery would do us all some good, pity the NHS cant fund it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby HazelB » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:23 am

Like Denys says, there is no evidence to link vit d deficiency to fibro ...although saying that, a lot of people with fibro are lacking. The reason for this could be as simple that we don't get outside enough to get our natural vit d. It's said majority of UK are vit d deficient purely because we don't get enough sunshine

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby AriesDemigod » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Just recently I found out my Vitamin D levels were, as the Doctor put it, "in the ditch". She explained that they start treating it when levels get to a measurement of 30, then told me mine was 13.
AriesDemigod
UKFM Member

Postby AriesDemigod » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:32 pm

Panicked me a bit, especially as she said that is serious. Started me on these little Blue translucent Vitamin D tablets.
AriesDemigod
UKFM Member

Postby clairbear » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:53 pm

AriesDemigod wrote:Just recently I found out my Vitamin D levels were, as the Doctor put it, "in the ditch". She explained that they start treating it when levels get to a measurement of 30, then told me mine was 13.

Don't worry Aries mine were 12! I'm on the Pro D tablets for 2 months at 40,000 units a week and then hopefully I can manage at a lower dose.

Thanks everyone for your input. Like I said I suffer with malabsorption so I'm not just lacking in one vitamin but several, its just they think this is linked to my Fibro so it is being treated.

:crazy: Its weird, on one hand having Fibro is pants but then on another they seem to be picking up and treating all my other ailments that I have complained about for years!
I guess looking at it positively my Fibro may have come along to help sort out everything else, or it could be a negative because I was never taken seriously and it has escalated to this..
Because I'm having a relatively calm day I'll go with the positive :lol:
clairbear
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems