can fibro be linked to hypermobility???

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

can fibro be linked to hypermobility???

Postby topcatt72 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi all....
Im new to this forum and recently been diagnosed with fibro....i had been suffering with pain on and off since i was bout 16-18 when i was diagnosed with hypermobility (extreme from hips downwards) and had seen a lot of diff docs telling me allsorts on wot was causing my pain....1 doc in 2009 discovered i had femular acetabular impingement or F.A.I in both my hips....i had surgery on the worse affected hip (left) which removed extra bone that was stopping my hip from working properly.....i was still in a lot of pain so yet more surgery on hip last yr....my consultant then referred me to see if i had fibro (which i have).....my questions are.....has my hypermobility made any of my fibro problems??....making it worse?? ....and with my bad hip (which the pain is different from other pain i get) could it be or even get worse due to my fibro/hypermobility???...also am i on right medication???.....im fed up of trying to get answers out of docs and with 4 daughters all who have hypermobility i try to find out as much as possible so hopefully they dont suffer in the future like i am at prescent
topcatt72
UKFM Member

Re: can fibro be linked to hypermobility???

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:28 pm

:welcome: to our FibroFamily topcatt :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Whilst there isn't a definite link between FM and HM, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to show that there could be a potential link. There are quite a few members on here with both conditions.

As to whether HM could be a cause of your FM, until a lot more research on both conditions has been carried out to determine if one causes the other, all we can really say is that, at the moment, they are regarded as associated conditions.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Charlie28 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:22 am

This is not particularly helpful, but I found your post interesting as my daughter has been diagnosed with hypermobility joint syndrome (she's 11) and I wondered whether that was what I had suffered when I was little as always had very painful knees/legs when exercising. Growing pains I was told! :)

I worry all the time that my daughter is going to develop FMS like me but haven't told her or anyone else that.

C
Charlie28
UKFM Member

Postby MikH-D » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:51 am

I have hypermobilty and FM I was diagnosed with hypermobilty at 18 but suffered for years, I was diagnosed with FM last year, rheumatologist told be there are very strong links between the both also it's has a strong genetic link also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikH-D
UKFM Member

Postby sara_elizabeth » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:53 pm

i have hypermobility and was diagnosed with FM at 16 but suffering symptoms as early as 11. my proper hypermobility diagnosis didn't come until my mid-20s but i was doing party tricks and having all the symptoms of hypermobility my whole life as it is something you are born with, not something you develop. i just never had a word for how flexible i was until someone gave it to me (surprisingly enough an orthopaedic doctor!) and have always been told there is a strong link between the two but it has yet to be medically proven that one leads to another (as i know people with hypermobility who do NOT have FM [lucky sods!])
I have loved to the point of madness, that which is called madness, that which to me is the only sensible way to love
sara_elizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby sam4johnny » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:07 pm

I was diagnosed with HM at around 6 and was told by the rumy that is linked to fibro. I wonder if my son has it too, he's only 6 but is so sensitive to pain and gets severe pain in his legs.
Mummy to two boys, 4 & 7, FM & Bipolar AND full-time undergraduate student! I must be MAD!!

Everything happens for a reason - just don't know the reason I'm so ill!! :(
sam4johnny
UKFM Member

Postby Gill76 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:33 pm

I was diagnosed with hypermobility when I was a teenager. My fibro diagnosis didn't come along till I was older. I think the dates are in my signature. Anyway my Rheumatologist told me that it was common to have fibromyalgia along with being hypermobile. She dictated my clinic letter as fibromyalgia secondary to hypermobility syndrome.
Diagnosed HMS - 1996 ~ Diagnosed Fibro - April 2011
Gill76
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems