Update on coming off Gabapentin

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Update on coming off Gabapentin

Postby Diane64 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:33 pm

So it has been approx. 3 weeks since came off Gabapentin as thought this was the cause of my weight gain...well, I haven't lost a single ounce never mind a wee pound, so my theory was wrong :( on the plus side though, apart from a couple of days where I had a bit of a flare up I have as yet not had to go back on them or any other painkiller. in fact I feel the very same as I did when I was taking them..hmmmm must be the wine then :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: lol.
Diane64
UKFM Member

Re: Update on coming off Gabapentin

Postby LYNPI » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi Diane
I was on amitriptyline for IBS. The Rheumatologist diagnosed Fibro and wanted to up the dose (help!!). I blamed my weight increase to this drug :shock: Anyway convinced GP to provide a different pain killer for my muscle problems in feet and hands (Gabapentin). Weight did not go off, SO, after four weeks of coming off the Amitriptyline, I've kept off bread (yep and cakes, marg,beer) and happily I'm slowly loosing weight :crazy:

I'm convinced that bread bloats.

Good luck in trying to loose weight. Due to the pain in my feet (can't believe it's gone there), I am having problems walking long distances so exercise (eg. running) is impossible.

Take care
LYNPI
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, yea feet can get really painfull especially in the mornings. I feel constantly bloated, I don't think I eat anymore than did prior to starting tabs and don't eat a lot of bread, so not sure if its just an age thing, hrt or what, but not been this heavy and its frustrating, I do a bit of exercise and jogging that you would think would keep it off but no its all just piling on..jeezo I have holidays in six weeks and feel like a big dumpling! lol..

Are you still on gabapentin? :-)
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby LYNPI » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi Diane

Yes I'm still on Gabapentin. Off to GP tomorrow as I've now gained nodes in the palm in my hands :roll: Never ends. I had both my ovaries removed (one in 2011 and the other in 2012) - weight increased after this but I too have had enough. I think weight gain increases the pressure on the joints and therefore more pain.

I may even try a yeast free/sugar free diet if the weight stablises (I need to loose at least 1/2 stone now). I tried this diet many years ago and the weight dropped off. The only problem was that it was difficult to find what to eat that was without sugar/yeast.

I feel really sorry for you. I don't think people realise how annoying it is for sore painful feet.

Take care of yourself
Linda
LYNPI
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems