Vitamin D results

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Vitamin D results

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:45 pm

How low were your vit D levels? Were you tested? Ive just got mine back and I am shocked at how low they are. On the letter is says below 25 nmol/L is deficient and I am 10.5. It also suggests the dr prescribe me dekristol at 20,000 units a week for five weeks then 800-1000 a day. The gp secretary rang earlier before I got the letter asking for me to have a phone consultation today. Now I know why! I am hoping to feel a lot better but can I really expect my pain to disappear? How did you feel once levels were normal?
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: Vitamin D results

Postby hazely » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi mine was 33 last may but the gp didn't regard that as low because of guidelines, but went to see rheumatologist in January and he said he didn't label people and i wasn't typical of a fibro suffer and i was vit d deficient so i said i am not and then he decided to tell me that i was tested in may and because he was more of an expert than the gp he regarded me as vit d deficient and i would now be worse because its winter. Anyway they did another test and it was 44 which the rheum classed as normal as its winter so that theory of his was wrong which i was so please about. Anyway they have given me 20mg of vit d to take for 56 days. Been on them three weeks now and dont feel any different but could be early days yet.
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:03 pm

Mine were very low and back up to near normal , i have to have a tablet daily dissolved in water, i also have a b12 deficeny which i get injections for regulary. My vitamin problems are down to me going through spells of not eating as i do not feel the need to eat, this is improving.

I have to say am amazed at the number of people who are low on vitamin D, my doctor has advised to get out and exposure to the sun as much as i can, when this country's weather allows it but with the difficulties i have walking is hard.

Hope your vitamin D improves
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:03 pm

How did he mean, not typical of a fibro sufferer?
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:14 pm

Garyl wrote:Mine were very low and back up to near normal , i have to have a tablet daily dissolved in water, i also have a b12 deficeny which i get injections for regulary. My vitamin problems are down to me going through spells of not eating as i do not feel the need to eat, this is improving.

I have to say am amazed at the number of people who are low on vitamin D, my doctor has advised to get out and exposure to the sun as much as i can, when this country's weather allows it but with the difficulties i have walking is hard.

Hope your vitamin D improves

Its funny how that is the advice, exposure to sunlight. What sunlight?! Ive seen a few days of a bit of sun poking out but then it all turns grey. I am originally from a hot country where i was exposed to a lot of sunshine. Over here, its hit and miss. And yes, the pain fron walking isnt helpful. If we have a decent summer, I shall sit in the garden as much as possible :)
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Mahboobeh » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi, my vitamin D result lat April was 8 but after taking vitamin D tablet it's became 57 , I'm still taking 1000 unit a day :-?
Mahboobeh
UKFM Newbie

Postby Revjan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:44 pm

I think it varies from person to person. When mine was checked it was right down to 2.5 which my rheumatologist said was extremely low. I didn't really have any symptoms that I had noticed though and I've been on supplements for a while now and don't feel any different?
Revjan
UKFM Member

Postby dejay » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:08 pm

I was wondering if all fibro people should get tested for thease different vitamins that we are lacking,and is it because of fibro that we are lacking them. I wonder if any one knows? I am realy tired today,and if another tablet would help I would be glad to take it lots of love,
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Could be a way forward testing for vitamin levels , but am not sure Fibro is down to them to be honest but would be intresting to see.

I also get at least oonce a year my Folic acid levels are low and take pills for that,to be honest am a wreck with the fibro vitamin problems and other health problems, the worse thing for me now is the fact to get about and have gone from using one stick to a 3 wheeled walker having used two sticks for a week .

I know if anything the fibro and other health problems will get worse and as i am only a couple years till i hit 60 i take any improvements as a bonus. What amazes me is my GP admits there is no cure for Fibro just keep going best you can she says she is a damn good doctor and will not just stop and issue pills she trys different options.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:02 pm

I had a phone consultation earlier with regards to the vit D and treatment. He said that i might feel a bit better getting my levels back up but he doesnt know for sure.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby dejay » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:15 pm

I am 70 now and had fibro for about 20 years and I have never had a blood test apart from finding out about arthritis, but never any thing to do with fibro, but I can say things have inproved, in the last ten years approx. but I think I might have a phone appointment,to ask about vitamins, I look forward to hearing any thing on the forum,because any thing that may help would be worth a try lots of love to all
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby lala » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:33 pm

I am going to ask my gp to test my vitamin d levels after reading this, I cant sit in the sun, even if there was sun, as I have skin lupus and sunlight makes me itch and it hurts my skin....even the warmth in the shade affects me but not as much. Thank you.
lala
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Lala definately ask for the test. I dont think I will be cured by being back to a normal level, but I feel pretty positive I will feel a lot better than I do now :-D
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:53 pm

Vitamin D deficiency is know to cause FM~like symptoms in some people, which is why, when someone is found to be deficient, increasing their levels may help ease symptoms.

Whilst there isn't any definite proof at the moment to link Vit D deficiency to people with FM and similar conditions, with the increasing numbers of people with both problems, anecdotal evidence seems to suggest there may be something common to both problems. Like so many things relating to FM tho, research is needed to definitively prove things one way or another.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Fibroised » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi, my last vit D test was a month ago and was 17. Last one before that was Jan last year and was 14. Has been low for the past 6 years and is definitely fibro related.
I get an oily liquid to drink, one a month for 3 months, but it doesn't really raise it by much. According to my results sheet the normal reading is between 30 to 100.
xxxxx
Fibroised
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems