High BP with pounding headache!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

High BP with pounding headache!

Postby Kimmy xx » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi guys and gals,
This is my first time posting, please be gentle with me ;) hehe
I've gone to write many of times, I just always delete the message and leave it. My story is very long, so I'll not bore you with it. Basically, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia late last year. I had a spinal fusion in Dec 2013 and I have been diagnosed with 'recurrent L5/S1 disc prolapse with lateral canal stenosis and degenerative retrolysthesis. I've not got a clue what either of these things are, although, I've been told by my surgeon that in time, I will need further surgery(this is my second op).
Anyway, my main question is, is it normal to have horrendous headaches with eye pains? My mum is in renal failure and told me to take my BP, I wasn't that concerned until I took it. My first reading was 118/103, second reading, 127/118 and my most recent reading is, 147/128. My pulse is always in the 90's. Is this normal for a FM sufferer? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
I hope you all have a lovely weekend and not in too much pain :/ xx
Kimmy xx
UKFM Newbie

Re: High BP with pounding headache!

Postby hazely » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi i would suggest that you get this checked out at the drs as there could be a number of reasons for raised blood pressure. We have to learn to not assume that everything is down to fibro and get everything checked out. When my bp is raised I do get headaches with it, but ive had mine checked out and its ok. my last bp was 162/108 which was quite alarming.
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby shortnsweet54 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:39 pm

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Blood-pres ... ptoms.aspx

I'd go to see you GP and get it checked asap, as it can cause strokes/heart attacks etc you can't be too careful. Better to be safe than sorry.

Take care
Jan xx
shortnsweet54
UKFM Member

Postby Kimmy xx » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:00 pm

Thank you. I'll contact my GP surgery in a min. I've been having dizzy/lightheaded spells, too. I thought it was just a bit of vertigo, so just left it. This has been happening for a few days now. I'm just a little unsure about going to see my GP as I'm always told "it's your FM". I guess I should just bite the bullet and have it checked out. Better to be safe than sorry.
Thank you so much for your replies :) xx
Kimmy xx
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:50 pm

It does not matter what it is caused by your high blood pressure needs to be dealt with!!!!!!!

This is not your fibro. It could be stress from something regarding the fibro, claims etc. but certainly not just the fibro.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby animeemo3 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:31 pm

My bp is usually about 140+ and my pulse is always 125+, docs said not to worry though. I get pounding headaches (sometimes like a pressure headache, bad news to lean forward) but no, docs not worried. If it worries you, go to A+E, better safe than sorry
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby Fibroised » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi, I'm also new.
Was diagnosed a year ago with fibro, but have been ill for past 3 years. Started off waking up one morning with violent pressure headache at both temples and high BP!!!! Took a year to find correct med to stabilise BP! During that year it fluctuated between 150 and 200 and had every possible test done, with all negative results!!!
Now I'm at 120/130.
Headache still there! Again, had every possible test, with every possible painkiller, and negative results to both. Best for me is paracetamol and codeine. Eases pain in head and body pains but doesn't get rid.
Hope this helps
xxxxx
Fibroised
UKFM Member

Postby Kimmy xx » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:18 pm

Well, I've since been to see my GP as I was getting a little more worried. I became unusually sleepy, very nauseated, hadn't eaten for a few days and my other symptoms seemed to have worsened. When I saw my GP, he did his usual checks and i was expecting him to say 'it's all clear, just part of your FM'. My BP was slightly high, a slightly high temp, fast pulse(normal for me) and inflammation in my throat and right inner ear tube. Wow, how come I never had any pain? He said my throat was very angry and my ear was quite badly infected. I'm guessing that the fact I'm on quite strong meds would've taken the pain away that perhaps, say my hubby, whose not on any meds, would've felt?!?!? Whatever the reason, I'm just relieved that everything was ok and a course of antibiotics and some anti sickness tablets, will clear it. And, I was able to have my carpal tunnel op the following day :) I can't believe that I'm now waking up without any pins and needles in my right hand :) I can't wait to have my left hand done now :)
Thank you to you all for your replies :)
I hope you all have a lovely weekend xxx
Kimmy xx
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:31 am

I am glad you saw your Dr and have got sorted out. The surgery on your wrists makes a huge difference right? I had both done.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby shortnsweet54 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:49 am

Wow, great that you saw your doctor then or it could have got quite serious. I hope it all clears up asap :-)

I'm so pleased you got you CT done, all the rheumy gave me was an appt for wrist splints and nothing more was said, i was then discharged back to my gp who just said well yes they're all symptoms of CT when i told her about the pain, tingling etc. It all Fell on deaf ears ! It was the physio when o went for hydrotherapy that explained about CT and how it can calm down sometimes and they tend to give spilnts and see what happens, hmm really, i thought my gp could have told me that !! I must say inflammation has calmed down and the wrist splints did help but it's starting to creep back again so i'll mention ot to my gp when i go.
I think they tend to avoid surgery with me as i suffer dreadful imflammation when ever i have it and it takes months to recover so it might not be the best thing. We'll see.

I hope you continue to recover
take care
Jan x
shortnsweet54
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems