Fingers stiff and sore

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fingers stiff and sore

Postby carolad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:38 am

Still trying to get my head around this diagnosis and trying to work out what is connected to fibromyalgia and what is a separate condition. For a number of years now, I've had pain and stiffness in my finger joints - not very bad, more of an irritation than a serious problem. I did go and see a GP when it first started - she told me it was just wear and tear and that I just had to accept this happens as you get older. I was 34 at the time!!!!

So now I'm wondering if it is actually a symptom of the fibromyalgia rather than arthritis? From what I've read, finger stiffness and pain seems to be quite common. Anyone else affected in this way?
carolad
UKFM Member

Re: Fingers stiff and sore

Postby denys » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:13 am

Lots of us have this and for me it leads to clumsiness, dropping things and not being able to pick things up properly
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby LYNPI » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi Carol

Well I've been to the GP/Rheum for my poor sore and stiff fingers. They prescribed gabapentin which actually helped the burning pain. I self referred myself last week to a physio. Amazingly she took great interest in my hands (plus noticed a lack of grip) and stated that they appeared swollen. She suggested that I hold out my hand, and with the other hand, starting at the tips of the fingers, 'drain' the fingers (similar to putting on a pair of tight gloves). You keep the draining movement to the elbow. The effect of working on each finger is to 'push back' the lymph from the fingers.

When I wake up first thing in the morning, I notice my fingers are really really stiff. 'Draining' the lymph from each finger is actually fantastic as within minutes my fingers feel so much better and can actually 'bend'!! THroughout the day, when my hands go stiff, I do the same.

I'm no expert but hopefully you could try this. Have a look on the internet and search for lymph drainage of hand.

Good luck - hope this works as stiff and sore fingers are horrible
LYNPI
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:09 am

Thanks very much, I'll definitely try that :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:36 am

I got osteoarthritis in my hands in my 20's, before fibro. It could be either or. Your Dr should be able to suggest some relief. I do use Arnica gel and it really helps.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:34 pm

In your 20s is very young to have osteoarthritis....so maybe 34 isn't too young to get it! It may well be that...my right hand is worse than my left, which would suggest wear and tear, since I'm right handed....

So hard to know what is related to fibromyalgia and what is a separate condition...no-one can give me any answers :(
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby DebiP10 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:47 am

I have terrible stiffness and pain in my fingers and thumbs. i drop everything, the pain gets that bad in my thumbs i cry and my husband massages them to try help. If i hold a bowl of cereal my hand and fingers stay in that position when the bowl is removed and i cannot feel them they feel paralized he also has to move my hand and fingers back into shape :shock: :-?
DebiP10
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:51 pm

I bought myself some arthritis gloves and they do help to keep my hands a bit more flexible, especially after being in the same position during the night.

My GP has tested for rheumatoid arthritis but tests came back negative. Not sure if that rules out any other forms of arthritis? Gonna have to goback I guess. Part of my thumb finger nail is separating from the tip as well. Haven't injured it so no idea why.

I find that when I have had a very bad few nights and all my pains are worse, my poor hands feel like a woodcutter's after a day's work who had them hit over and over like you'd treat your steak to go soft. They throb, they burn, ache, stab, pierce and feel like those giant foam hands you'd take to a baseball match. :-|

There is a greenish balm you can put on your horse's legs or body after workout. It has quite a strong smell but my grandma always put it onher bad knees and elbows. She also put it on bruises and it worked a treat. I haven't tried it for Fibro yet because I only just remembered her getting one for my horse and one for herself when I was younger lol but it did wonders for sore muscles after workouts. Just put green horse balsam cooling ( haven't tried the warm one so don't know if it would work) in a search engine and you should find it.

Hope this helps.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:58 am

Yep I get stiff finger every morning , and they almost feel dead.dr told me years ago from age of 20 we all start getting arthritis .but sounds like fibro in your hands to me.hugs xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby hippychick » Sun May 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Yep, I'm another one who suffers stiff and painful hands plus frequent swelling in my fingers and knuckles. I've also got osteoarthritis like many other fibromites plus already having had one injection to treat my trigger thumb on my left hand and may or may not require the same treatment for the middle finger on my right hand in the not too distant future because it too is locking.

However, to show you that some of our GP's also have a sense of humour, here's what mine said to me recently after reviewing my latest hand x-rays. As he scrolled through the computer in the surgery to find my report, I was telling him that it would probably just say 'old age', (I'm 60), whereupon my dear doc turned to me and with a serious face said, 'No, no, no, you're NOT old! People live well into their 80's and 90's these days! Sixty is just middle aged.' Feeling cheered by this I sat and awaited the radiologists report on my hands........the doc starts reading through it, blah de blah blah 'degeneration' and pipes up, 'Oh, you ARE old, it's official!' Cheeky swine, but lovely to have a GP, (in his 50's I'm guessing), with a good sense of humour.

But when I then turned his attention to my wayward right big toe, that's now almost at a 90 degree angle and overlapping the toe next to it, he said that there is an operation I could have to straighten it, but 'how about waiting before we consider that!' I asked him if he thought I could end up in worse pain and mobility if I were to go for this op and he smiled and said, 'let's just leave it......for now eh?' :lol: I've got a really lovely doc it has to be said.

Mind you, with the pain in my hands/fingers and wrists getting worse, I may have to switch any thoughts of more operations to that end of my body instead pretty soon and I REALLY DON'T want that after suffering an unfortunate and debilitating problem after my second op for carpal tunnel decompression in 1996. The left one was done first 4 months before the left and was marvellous, no probs whatsoever. However six weeks after the right one was done, I developed Reflex Sympathetic Disorder, also known as Sudeks Osteo Dystrophy. Unpleasant to say the least and even after 2 hospital procedures to re-boot my sympathetic nerves in the hand and 18 months of gruelling physio, I've still lost 50% flexibility in the fingers and thumb of my right hand so naturally I'd be in noooooo rush to ever want any future surgery on those!

If percentages are to be believed, 15% of folk who've either suffered trauma, (such as a fracture), or surgery of hands/arms or legs/feet can develop this condition so once it's happened, who's to say it's not going to again? Reckon I'd be odds on favourite for it to happen again wouldn't I :crazy:

Have to say I'm doing the best I can to keep my stiff and painful fingers mobile though by knitting and crochet, jewellery making and card making but wish I could do any of the aforementioned activities for longer periods of time before the blessed eyes go blurry and force me to take a rest dagnamit! 20 minutes max has the eyes going blurry and that's on a good day! :lol:

Gentle huggles,
Hippy
hippychick
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems